JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am assuming that this is in response to yesterdays BS and a certain member that I will never do business with. On this site, the first "I will take it" takes it. If you need money by 9pm to pay rent, buy grandma's insulin or get a fix it you should state it in your post. We are all bound by our word. I have made some friends here and fortunately, only 1 person has screwed me. I set up the purchase of a Savage Mark II .22lr from a member on a Monday, with the scheduled meet to buy the upcoming Saturday. I have the PM in my inbox still with his cofirmation to meet at the Canby Fred Meyer. I PM'd him multiple times on Friday with no response. Finally I said "I have shown my 8 year old photos of the new gun we are purchasing from you, he is excited. Please respond". Finally after the 4th PM I get this response "gun sold". I responded that I was sure that we had a misunderstanding, as I was the one buying it, not a new purchaser. 3 PM's later I got "gun sold" again. That is all he ever said to me. Never an explanation or apology. I did not report to mod's, what's the point on something like that? I will wait until he has more classified's and let his potential buyers know who they are dealing with before they set themselves up to break their kid's heart. It is a simple matter of respect and anyone who says "It's their gun, they can do what they want" needs to take a step back and imagine how they would feel if they played it straight the whole way through, just to get the shaft. My two cents. Kip.

Treat the person on the other end of the transaction the same way you would want them to treat you if your roles were reversed.

Another thing---always give full disclosure about any issues that the gun you are selling might have. Selling someone a self-defense gun that you know has feeding issues without telling them is the same as selling someone a car and not telling them about the fact that the brake system leaks fluid. You might make a few more bucks, but they might die.

When I sell a gun, I always offer to let the prospective buyer meet me at my gun club so they can shoot the gun prior to purchase. I bring other guns with me, so regardless of whether the sale goes through or not it can still be a good day at the range.

EVERYONE has the right to back out of a deal. There is backing out and there is flat out disrespect. I honestly believe that some of these cases are truly sociopaths performing their way of "control". What other reason is there to do some of these things? In my case, if the seller would have sent me a message saying "I have a buyer ready to meet me right now, you must either meet me now or I sell to him" I would have respected and understood his position. Whether or not I jumped through his hoops are up to no one but me, but at least he had the courtesy of giving me a chance to get what I had a claim to(he even marked his ad SPF for me and still sold it). Or, had he decided to keep it and no longer wanted to sell, I would have taken that just fine and thanked him for his communication. I had a deal lined up to trade for an AR. We had 1/2 an hour until meeting time and the guy PM'd me to tell me that he had second thoughts and wanted to keep his gun. I thanked him for the communication and I have absolutely no hard feelings toward him whatsoever. Yes, I was a little frustrated, but I would hate for that guy to look at the gun I traded him and have it be a constant reminder of the gun he lost. What it really boils down to is very simple. COMMUNICATION AND HONESTY!!! Kip.

Once a deal is agreed upon, understand that actions are set in motion. Each side has to set time aside to make a meeting, sometimes money must be acquired, etc. So if you do need to back out of a deal, then ask.

I will very rarely be bothered enough to leave negative feedback if someone explains the situation and asks if they can back out of the deal. However, if you just flatly tell me you aren't going to do the deal and I have made preparations to do the deal, I'm going to leave you negative feedback.

Like the posters above have said. Treat someone how you would want to be treated. If you had made arangements for a deal and someone just called and said they changed their mind (or even worse, just didn't show up), you wouldn't like it. So don't do it to other people. Be honest, explain your situation, and most people will be understanding and wish you well...

Another thing---always give full disclosure about any issues that the gun you are selling might have.

Every ad I see is for the greatest gun ever made. Shoots great, sub MOA, eats every kind of ammo and is the sellers favorite; yet somehow ends up in the classifieds.

I work hard at pricing stuff 'fair' (gawd I hate that word) but I won't let a deal fall apart over $20.

Every ad I see is for the greatest gun ever made. Shoots great, sub MOA, eats every kind of ammo and is the sellers favorite; yet somehow ends up in the classifieds.

Must be looking at glocks lately?? :s0114:

I think the above posts cover it. Take care of fellow members and they will take care of you. I have made a few friends on here and some great people.

I have purchased online, and have had pleasent results..but I am very discriminating about full disclosure.

I will demonstrate with two adds...for a car. I have a beautiful Audi A6 BiTurbo 2.7. Runs great, looks good...and then I ask $2000 under normal price for this car?

Or, I have a beautiful Audi A6 BiTurbo 2.7, looks good, runs great, is in need of about $3000 of schedualed maintenance.

Both adds are valid, no lies, just first add is no disclosure.

In 5 yrs i had one deal that went south cause this young fella could not get his act together or he was bs'ing me. I gave him the benefit of the doubt and did not say anything

I have only had one as well. <--- look at my feedback. I tried my best to make it right, even though what I gave the guy was in perfect shape. The only way he was going to be happy is if I sent a Hi-cap mag to him in California.
There is always a few of them in every crowd. Sometimes its hard not to make assumptions.

Hahaha yep my negs are all retallitory. I've done lots of buy/sell/trades here with folks and have more often than not had great experiences. I've had a couple flakes, but fortunately I stayed in town on those so drive wasn't bad. And one guy that showed up missing the 900rds of ammo to be added to the deal and played stupid, then when showed his PM on my phone he forgot but would ship it right to me...

If you commit- you've given your word. Don't commit if you can't buy it. What if the seller is selling to pay mortgage/etc and due to your I'll take it stops entertaining info because, as a seller should HE's honoring his side. Then you don't show up because xyz reason- you've potentially SERIOUSLY screwed someone. We all get crap happens, but if you commit to something I'm selling and you're backing out- their better be a damn good reason not just your gun ADD got the best of ya.

IheartGUNS-Though I agree with your post, I cannot help but laugh at the irony of it being posted by someone with zero feedback. I am not criticizing, what you say is true. The fact that it comes from someone with no feedback is hilarious. We all came here for the same reason-our love for firearms(or in some cases as a liberal disguised as a rational person to stir stuff up. You know who you are). I have to believe that for every bad experience folks shout about, there are 1,000 good ones that are never mentioned. I love the debate and the marketplace of this site. I can't imagine I'll ever stop frequenting this site, no matter how many people argue with my obvious logic. Kip

The gun trade is (I believe) one remaining bastion of general integrity in our world. Certainly, it has its snakes and flakes, and I have managed to place myself in a position to be victimized by both on occasion. Afterward, I can easily see where I went wrong: there were signals and indicators that I ignored (either because I believed the best of people, or because I was infatuated with the success of the deal).

My father told me some words to live by, and they work for situations in all aspects of life, not only trading guns:

"Never say you are going to do something without full intent of doing it. Most people think it is okay to say they will do something, and then not do it. Be prepared for them, as they are the majority. These are the same people that can be terrified and afraid when they encounter someone like you who always does what they say they will do. And terrified and afraid people are dangerous people, and they will try to destroy you because you are different from them."

I find that I can USUALLY determine within a few moments of talking to someone about a common goal (such as a gun deal) whether or not they are among the minority of population that will do what they say they will do. Pleasingly, I believe in my experience, the gun community is populated with a MAJORITY of such persons of integrity: a refreshing departure from the rest of the world.

Spitpatch, your a bleeping poet. Well put. Maybe someone will remember this, but last summer a Portland Expo gun show happened to coincide with some sort of marijuana festival at Kelly Point Park. It was amazing how many stoners walked past me as I waited for my wife to pick me up(it was an A hall show at the north end of the Expo). I had taken the MAX in and purchased three guns and ammo, so a ride was needed. What was so incredible was how many stoners made derogatory comments about my guns and the gun show, as they were on their way to an illegal weed party. I adore irony. The "gun nuts" that heard some of the comments made toward me just looked at me with a shared knowing grin. Sorry to say it, but maybe we are just a finer class of folk in general(humble, too;)) Kip

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top