JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been consolidating a lot of my possessions and the stuff that one accumulatest over 40+ years is astonishing.
I used to love to go out on the town and dress nice with gold nugget rings & necklaces (the ZZ Top bit).
Now that I'm a cave dweller & am happy just to stay home it's time to get rid of a few things.
Every time I walk into a pawn shop I get the feeling that Rick, Corey or Chumlee is gonna appear behind the counter & lowball me to no end......:eek::eek::eek::D
I don't follow the gold market or the like so lookin for some advice from the community.

Convos are welcomed.;)

Just remember your dollar depends on their K.

Get multiple quotes, you may find the variance surprising.

Well the first thing to do is determine if its value lies in the fact its Jewelry or the fact its gold. A pawn shop will always tell you "its only worth what the gold is worth"... And pay you spot less 5%-10% if they are honest. Then they will turn around and put much of that out in the display case and try to sell it as jewelry at 2-10 times the gold value depending on what it is.

I've been consolidating a lot of my possessions and the stuff that one accumulatest over 40+ years is astonishing.
I used to love to go out on the town and dress nice with gold nugget rings & necklaces (the ZZ Top bit).
Now that I'm a cave dweller & am happy just to stay home it's time to get rid of a few things.
Every time I walk into a pawn shop I get the feeling that Rick, Corey or Chumlee is gonna appear behind the counter & lowball me to no end......:eek::eek::eek::D
I don't follow the gold market or the like so lookin for some advice from the community.

Convos are welcomed.;)

Thanks for that.
I'm now scared for life. :D

My dentist sold me a gold tooth..

I have three gold crowns!

Funny thing Jim...Yesterday Wifey and I went out to "Liberty Coin and Currency" here in PDX with some old stuff of her moms, grandma, what ever, from the last 40+ years. None of it was resalable so it would just be melted down. Four little rings, one with a small diamond, (the ice only brought $7.00 extra though) got a scosh over $200.00.

You might call Liberty down here and ask if they know of a similar place up in your neck of the woods. I don't think you want a pawn shop. Liberty isn't a pawn shop. They are buyers/sellers of gold and silver so you get what ever market value of the day is, minus whatever their % is. Pawn shops don't necessarily operate that way.

Buy & Sell Your Jewelry, Coins & Gold | Portland & Vancouver

The two times we've been in was very pleasurable and we learned quite a bit.

Also remember that gold prices are based on "pure gold". Usually 99.999%. 24K gold is about 99.95%.

Also remember that jewelry is at least double in cost as buying gold/silver rounds or bars. Guaranteed that you didn't spend $1300 for a ring that weighed an ounce. Maybe 2 or 3 rings that weighed an ounce, and probably significantly more than $1300.

What gold content is your gold jewelry? 24K will command more in price, than 18K.

More than likely they'll take everything, drop it on a scale and offer you X-amount of dollars per ounce. You may be able to haggle that a little.

Maybe have it melted down and made into something different? A teddy bear, turtle, frog, 6-sided dice, etc.? At least something you can enjoy and/or pass down - without selling and losing your shorts on. ;)

With jewelry, I always try to sell it as is on the public market first. As stated repeatedly throughout the thread, jewelers are going to lowball you, as they have to make a profit.

I would still get the quotes from them, consider what you paid for it, and try to throw it up on CL, Offerup, etc, for somewhere in between and see what bites.

Thanks for the info, im going to Liberty coin on Monday since I'm going to be down there anyways.
I've sold a lot of stuff on C/L over the years but I will not sell gold & jewelry there. Too much of a risk of getting ripped off.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top