Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Gold and Silver

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Murphy, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Murphy

Murphy Oregon Member

Anyone know of a local business in the Portland area that sells ounces of gold and silver at reasonable prices?

I know that there are several trustworthy places on the net but I am looking to buy a couple of ounces at a time and don't want to pay for shipping if I can help it.

2. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Alpine Coin Co
    (503) 254-3858
    11040 NE Weidler St, Portland, OR

I have done business with them. They have been in business a long time, have a good selection, minimum mark up, but will not give any advice on what to buy.
    I prefer the Canadian 1 oz silver rounds by Engelhard called the "Prospector". They always seem to have some around.

3. Chalupacabra

Chalupacabra Portland Active Member

4. Murphy

Murphy Oregon Member

Thanks for the replies. I will check them out.

5. davemata

davemata Spokane, WA Well-Known Member

watch out for their markup over spot. Often times, it's not worth it.

I tried a few places out east (haven't tried any out west) that were expecting $40 a piece for american eagles when spot was $27, and they'd be kind enough to drop it to $35 if you bought excessive amounts. After I tried 4 places, got the same bunk deal offered, I went with Gainesville.

6. ripcity

ripcity Milwaukie Active Member

There is a shop on main street in downtown Oregon city. Willamette bullion is the name I think. His prices are good. His shop is on the corner of main and the bridge (cannot remember the name of that road)

7. teflon97239

teflon97239 Portland, OR Well-Known Member

AJPM sells all varieties of silver and gold in Portland and Tigard. 1 oz silver rounds go for spot + $1.25 I think. There's a good store in Multnomah Village on Troy Street too. Same low markup.

8. davemata

wow, that is a good price.

9. Chalupacabra

Chalupacabra Portland Active Member

If I recall correctly, AAA Precious Metals is roughly the same markup. It's on 99th near Mall 205. The two times I've been in there, it was swamped with sellers(when it was $25/oz lol), but buyers get helped out immediately. I don't think they like making small transactions like, 20 oz, that much though.

10. davemata

If 20oz of silver is considered a small purchase, I just need to invest in stocks instead.

11. Murphy

Murphy Oregon Member

Thanks to all that suggested the businesses. I ended up buying some silver at AJPM for spot plus $1.25 per coin. They have a few different locations and were friendly and helpful. It was also a nice surprise to see one of the guys open carrying.

12. davemata

Did they have a minimum buy size to get spot + $1.25?

13. Murphy

Murphy Oregon Member

No. I asked how much an ounce of silver was and he gave me options. I am not interested in collecting coins, just silver. Spot +1.25 was 32.20 for rounds.

14. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

The Coin Cottage.

They are great people in there, and "gun guys" ta boot.

..::The Coin Cottage H O M E Page::..

15. longcolt

longcolt Zephyrhills, FL Active Member

Gee, I wish that I had been smart enough to buy a good stock of Gold back 5+ years ago. Would have been a nice return.

Prices are very high at this time. If Romney is elected watch it start to drop. If Obama is reelected the price will go through the roof. Just a guess.

Obama prints tons of phony money and raises taxes causing massive inflation, Romney will reverse that trend, lower taxes and get people back to work. Basic financial logic.

16. ogre

ogre Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Englehard was an American company that was started in New Jersey. It was still in New Jersey when the Prospectors were minted (it was bought out by the Germans in 2006.) Are you saying that the Prospectors were actually minted in Canada?

Also, fake Prospectors surfaced in 2011 so beware. There are pictures of the fakes on the 'net if you look for them.

17. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

Not factual, although I could care a less about Puppet A vs Puppet B.

The Private Federal Reserve, a cartel of foreign banker families such as the Rothschilds, determines how much money is printed out of thin air thereby causing inflation. A sitting puppet has no say on monetary policy so A vs B means ZERO.

The Fed controls the issuance of money without any audit or any direct control of our government. Whether you have a job in two years is up to the FED - trillionaire foreign Oligarchs. Puppet / cardboard standees, not so much. That is why we are in fact an Oligarchy and not a Democracy or Republic. Whoever controls the issuance of money controls the country.

trainsktg and (deleted member) like this.