JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I dont think this 686-4 has ever been apart. I want to take it all apart for inspection and cleaning.
I thought I would ask the forum if I need to look for any surprise spring loads or special tricks.

Any special tools needed? Or do I need a gunsmith?

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Pete

It isn't terribly complicated. Go to the S&W forum or one of the on-line parts houses and get yourself a schematic.

Take the screws out of the side cover. They are different lengths, don't mix them up or you'll be scratching your head later.

Nothing will jump out at you when you take the cover off. Do not pry it off from the surface, you'll mark it. Either pry it from the grip opening (you did remove the grip, right?) or rap it sharply on the other side with a plastic or rubber mallet.

The hammer block rides in a channel on that cover. It might stay in place or it might come with the cover. Nothing else should come out.

Then you can see how much cleaning you have to do.

Bob

If you are doing a full takedown, the biggest pain I have found is putting back in the trigger return spring, but there is a special tool made to help that along.

Also be careful not to lose the spring in the in the cylinder latch, or the trigger return spring when disassembling, those are probably the only major surprises.

Either pry it from the grip opening

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rap it sharply on the other side with a plastic or rubber mallet.

YES! More specifically, rap it sharply on the grip area on the side opposite the side plate once you have removed the grips.

But please don't do things yourself. I'm currently in the process of repairing an otherwise beautiful model 18 S&W that someone who didn't know what they were doing got in to. By the time I'm finished I'll have had to change all of the main springs (rebound, sear, mainspring), several parts (sear, strain screw), and a bunch of time. Just have a pro do it first. Fixing other people's mistakes is an expensive proposition...

WOW great advice. I will be carefull withthe side plate thanks for the advise on the the springs. I was glad to hear that there not surprises with taking of the side cover.
At least I will be able to se where everything goes before I take it apart.

thanks guys!!

WOW great advice. I will be carefull withthe side plate thanks for the advise on the the springs. I was glad to hear that there not surprises with taking of the side cover.
At least I will be able to se where everything goes before I take it apart.

thanks guys!!

Well the only think that might not stay in place would be the hammer block, its a long skinny bar that may fall out with the side plate, but you can find pictures of how it should be placed around the net.

PhysicsGuy.... right on about the hammer block. It fell out first thing. I had the exploded view of the gun b4 I started.
It didnt need much cleaning so didnt need to take it all the way down.
Shinned it up and put the "Sunday go to meeting " grips on it.
Thanks again............

Well the only think that might not stay in place would be the hammer block, its a long skinny bar that may fall out with the side plate, but you can find pictures of how it should be placed around the net.

YES! More specifically, rap it sharply on the grip area on the side opposite the side plate once you have removed the grips... Fixing other people's mistakes is an expensive proposition...

+1 on that quote. Most competent gunsmiths will do a deep and lube cleaning for under $60. If you mess something up on the inside it could cost you double that at the very least.

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YES! More specifically, rap it sharply on the grip area on the side opposite the side plate once you have removed the grips.

This is the way I was taught, but, I wasn't very specific with the "pry". I was shown sliding a screwdriver along side the plate and "lifting" the plate off. I've used it a number of times when one was stubborn.

You're right, you shouldn't wedge against the other side. My bad for a bad explanation.

Bob

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top