JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was just going to shoot my Xdm 9. I already have 6 magazines for it so I should be okay in those regards. Just nervous about shooting because I dont want to look like a complete fool

All you have to do is go slow and worry about getting hits on target. Speed will come later with experience. Everyone is a beginner at some point. And we all help each other out. I'll be a Dundee on Saturday. It's a great place for your first match.

Can't emphasize this enough. It is a bit intimidating when you first start shooting when you see all the hot shots getting great hits and posting awesome times. Especially in your first few matches it is VITALLY important that you go slow enough to learn the rules of the game (180 rule, range commands, etc) before you go for speed.

USPSA is a great game because it emphasizes both speed and efficiency. As a new shooter, you will be tempted to push yourself faster, but your hits will suffer, and your overall score will be lower. In addition, there are two scoring schemes used in USPSA; Minor Power Factor and Major Power Factor. Because you are shooting a 9mm in production, you will be scored using minor power factor. Minor power factor is assigned less points for shooting zones outside the "A" zone. (The idea is that you are shooting a caliber and load that is 'easier to handle' and therefore you should be more accurate). As you shoot more your fundamental shooting skills will develop allowing you to shoot more quickly. There is a lot to learn along the way, shoot safely and learn from your mistakes and you will find yourself shooting better then ever before.

Anyone go out to Douglas Ridge Saturday? I'm curious about the issue of shooting in competition without the orientation course and wondering if they actually allow that at Douglas Ridge.

Wondering how many people showed up. I heard that there were going to be 4 classifiers so expected to hear of a pretty big crowd.

I think that you are talking about Dundee this past Saturday, I was there but I don't know if anyone just showed up. It was a classifier and they were some fun ones too. I would email the match director at Douglas and see what he has to say about just showing up. I would hate for you to get out there and find out that you will not be able to shoot. As for me, I am going to have to skip all the matches in May, too much family stuff going on and that comes first.

Yes, you're right - I was thinking about Dundee. I've only been to ARPC, so good thing I decided not to go and end up at the wrong place!

Someone had said that you could just show up and attend a briefing, and then shoot the match. Not knocking anyone, just wouldn't feel right being there with someone shooting who hadn't attended the course first. At ARPC, you get your card after you've shot your first match.

I did get a card after I shot my first match in Dundee but they had me come the day before to do some live fire training as well. I know that they don't normally do it this way but there were two of us that wanted to do it so they took care of us. I know that most clubs set up the day before so maybe they can take care of this for you that way as well. Good luck

By the way I shoot a XDM 5.25 9mm but shooting limited for now so that I can put 19 in each mag and keep the reloading down to a min. That way all I have to really think about is shooting and movie safely. I will someday soon move to production but I followed advice to shoot limited to start and it was good advice. Make sure you get a good belt and holster as well. Also any belt you get must go through at least 3 loops to be legal. I missed that rule but had the right belt anyway and it was all good.

Do you, or does anyone else have pics of their belt set ups? As far as are glocks legal? Thinkin about a 17 for comp?

This is the belt I got, it was recommended to me by one of the board member for this area

CR Speed - Hi Torque Belt- BLUE TRIM

And this is the holster I got and you can see that you can order the one that is for your pistol

Blade-Tech DOH/Sting Ray Holster BLACK- <font color="red">RIGHT HAND</font>

I hope this helps, I didn't get my belt form these guys since they didn't have it in stock at the time but I used this info to find it some place else for the same price. I did buy my mag pouches from them.

I started with a heavy leather belt I got at a local leather store. I then picked up a CR speed belt from another member.

I use comp-tac mag pouches, which I love, and a comp-tac international holster. I also have a uncle mikes holster that I use for both my Glock 23 and 35, actually works well and was only $20.
Twin-Mag-No-4.jpg

international.jpg

3341b.jpg

Twin-Mag-No-4.jpg

international.jpg

3341b.jpg

I just got a cr speed belt and used it in the Dundee match this past sat. It's awesome, keeps everything where it needs to be but can also adjust if need be without taking off the belt. Defiantly a must have for comps. Really looking forward to Douglas this sat, hopefully I get my new rear sight in and installed for it.
Douglas is the best place for a first time shooters, very laid back, great guys to shoot with. Very helpful with getting you used to shooting comps. Hope to see you there this sat.
I can't say enough good things about Douglas guys and comp, they got me hooked!

If you're nervous about your first match and aren't sure what to expect, go on YouTube and look up Powerfactor Show. Episode 20 is called shooting your first IDPA match. It works for both disciplines. Watch that and they walk you through arriving at the range, gearing up, range commands, shooting a stage, and leaving the match. It's a great tutorial. Also watch their early videos. Episodes 1-20. They go through gun selection per division, gear enhancements, etc. great for the first time shooter. And they are from WA

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top