JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I am want to start shooting competition and I know the divisions I want to shoot in which is Production and L10?. The problem that I am having is that I dont know how to get started in it. Should I go to a competition and watch and talk with people and ask them questions. Or should I just sign up and go shoot and hope for the best but I dont know how the stages work. Thanks

Affiliated clubs usually have some type of training available. For Bend go here, COSSA Practical Shooters

ARPC has a USPSA training the first Saturday of each month. You learn safety, basic rules and course types. You shoot and RO in the training. Call ahead to schedule as they don't have it if no one is prescheduled.

I never went to a match before starting. First I attended the training, then started attending matches.

For local USPSA matches go here, Columbia Cascade Section - USPSA

I went Columbia Cascade Section - USPSA and then followed the link on how to get started. Go through the training manual then email the director of the match you want to go to. Most club have you go through a live fire check out before they will let you compete and then they watch you in your first match before they give you a safety card. I just did this last month with the Dundee club and shot my second match in Albany last weekend. Once you are at a match don't be afraid to let the guys in your squad know that you are new, they will take care of you and make sure that you are safe and having fun. Enjoy and hope to see you out there soon.

The best place to start would be Douglas Ridge Ridle Club. The first Saturday of the month is their USPSA match. Honestly don't just show up to watch. You'll regret it. Just bring your gun, mags and about 200 rounds of ammo. You'll only use about 120 but it's nice to have extra. Match starts at 9 am but show up early to help set up if they need it. I shoot it every month there so if you have any questions feel free to ask

Xstreme, I live in Camas and go to the matched in Dundee and plan on Douglas ridge (when I'm home, I travel for a living). I have been to one in Albany and it wasn't as far a drive as I thought it would be. There are not really any that are close that are USPSA since Tricounty is no longer USPSA but from what I hear their Practical match that they do is still very good and lots of fun. In any case I would email whatever range you are going to before you go to back sure that you have done everything that they want you do to before you compete. PM me info you would like some more info on how I got started since I just went through it.

Xstreme357, I assume BG, Wa is Battle Ground, I live there too. Wolverton Mt. Gun Club is having a quasi USPSA match Sunday the 28th. It's a pretty good match to break your teeth in on, nice group of people. Here is a link to their site.

If you have joined USPSA and want to get classified in a division, this Saturday at Dundee they are having a classifier match. 6 stages and 4 of them are classifiers. So you can be classified in one day.

It's a great match. Good way to get classified so you can start seeing where you land amongst everyone else. If you're doing it for competition. But Dundee has some great people. The classifier match is a good one to start out at. Very helpful

Glad you are getting interested in this great sport.

What gun will you be shooting with?

If you are interested in shooting production remember that you are only allowed to load 10 rounds per magazine, I would say 4 magazines is the bare minimum, I'd prefer 5 (1 in the gun, 4 on the belt). Any other questions feel free to ask away

I was just going to shoot my Xdm 9. I already have 6 magazines for it so I should be okay in those regards. Just nervous about shooting because I dont want to look like a complete fool

Six will be more than enough and don't worry about looking like a fool. At the last match I was at there guys who have been doing this for years making mistakes and we all laughed about it. I didn't make any real mistakes until the last stage (and it cost me 40 points) and u couldn't stop laughing in the end. The guys made me feel like they had all done things like that before. I'll be in Dundee on Saturday and I know they will be at the range setting up tomorrow. I would email the match director and see if there is anyway you can do the live fire tomorrow and compete on Saturday. That's how I did it last month. Good luck and come out and be safe and have fun.

All you have to do is go slow and worry about getting hits on target. Speed will come later with experience. Everyone is a beginner at some point. And we all help each other out. I'll be a Dundee on Saturday. It's a great place for your first match.

By the way I shoot a XDM 5.25 9mm but shooting limited for now so that I can put 19 in each mag and keep the reloading down to a min. That way all I have to really think about is shooting and movie safely. I will someday soon move to production but I followed advice to shoot limited to start and it was good advice. Make sure you get a good belt and holster as well. Also any belt you get must go through at least 3 loops to be legal. I missed that rule but had the right belt anyway and it was all good.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top