JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey everybody, I went out and picked up a couple crawfish traps on a whim today, and seeing as how I have the day off tomorrow I was gonna go out and try them out. I'm just gonna use whatever old fatty scraps I have laying around, but I was wondering if anyone had any good spots nearby? I figure they live just about everywhere, so I was just going to try to find a nice little stream nearby. I've even heard Johnson Creek has quite a few.

Anybody have any suggestions for a first time crawfish trapper? I've only just lifted up rocks and grabbed them with my hands before.

Thanks,
Jordan

Jordan,

Good Luck! I don't have any experience up here but used to do it as a kid in the Sierra Nevada's in Norcal. Just find a pool and put it in and let it soak. we use to use livers, chicken pieces (necks/backs), and some people even used canned dog food for bait. Let us know how you do.

BTW...That Evan guy is a friend of mine too!

Kevin

Johnson Creek right in the middle of felony flats used to catch hundreds of them there by hand as a kid . I never ate them because of the little critters that i saw on the bottom of them but my neighbors sure liked eating them .

I am not kidding about catching hundreds either me and my brother and a couple buddies would go and lift rocks and grab them behind the pinchers counted over 200 in one day . Bet with traps it would be better unless its been fished out but Johnson creek is a long creek

eldbillbo. That's a blast from the past! I drank my 1st bottle of wine under the 92nd and flavel bridge before I-205 went in @ 14 yrs of age, boy did mom want to kick my butt!! Crawdads, sea run Cutthroat, Steelhead and the occasional salmon could be had in this so called "dead creek". We had loads of fun playing around on Mt Scott riding bikes at breakneck speeds down the roads through Willamette and Lincoln cemetery's and on down to 92nd. Im the guy that threw the bass into the goldfish pond up there 35 years ago. I figured the goldfish needed some competition, man those bass got fat quick! We used to catch bats under Dwyers lumber mill where the creek went through and sell them to neighborhood kids for a quarter a piece. Did you grow up around there? Ahh the good old day's

Nope, Woodmere. One of my younger brother went to Whitman for awhile and then Clinton Kelly, he is 50 this year, as for me,, well just a little older. So you were around Bell hill? We used to ride our motor cycles just east and up the tracks from where you were. Our place was on 77th and tolman. I really enjoyed growing up in the area. The store on the corner of bell hill belonged to a friend of mines uncle, we used to spend a lot of time there too. Nothing was safe from our BB guns along the tracks back then, rabbits, pigeons,, the occasional pheasant. Good times!!!

funny, eldbillbo and salmonriverjohn, I grew up in the area as well. I still live off of 92nd and Flavel. I went to Lane for both elementary and middle school. I was the first 8th grade graduating class out of the remodeled building.

HAhahahahahaa.... I grew up in that area too... I went to Lents Elementary, and graduated from Marshall HS. There used to be LOADS of crawdads in Johnson Creek... and I was about 11 or 12 when 205 was being built through that area. Anyone ever play Little League baseball at the old Pal Boys' Club?

LOL... howdy! If you went to Marshall for any length of time then I'm sure you had the pleasure of Mr. Everette and Mr. (Don) Francine for PE... They were a couple of good guys, Don had some SERIOUS halitosis and his "thing" was to pin a guy (who had it coming) up against the wall and start lecturing him from about a foot away KNOWING full well his breath was foul.... LMAO!! I kinda miss the old farts, they were good guys.

Third floor, south side, room C-34 if I believe correctly was Francine's typing class??? I actually tossed a fire cracker into the faculty lavatory when he was in there which was just around the corner to the right, man did I run my butt away fast, no "laser breath" for me that day. Mr Vince Pesky ring a bell? That man was a class act. I too miss all of them. Those were really good times my friend, really good times!

Pesky was AWESOME!! Once I smacked this punk in the head... got called to his office (the only time I was called in) thinking I was dead meat, NOPE... it all worked out between me and the punk because of the way he handled it. They aren't made like him anymore for sure! Oh yea... I had a girlfriend that lived on 86th and Tolman.... small world.

Wow. I went to Woodmere, too!

Crawdads? Johnson Creek is absolutely loaded with them. So is the Willamette. If you're into eating them, I'd prefer the Clackamas River. It's loaded with them, too.

WAYNO.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads