JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Check the twist rate on rhe rifle with no forward assist. If it is a 1/8 twist, I would buy that one. The original sport came with a sweet 1/8 twist 5R barrel. If they are all 1/9 twist barrels then I would get the A2/mbus rifle.

Forward assist has an important function, you use it to jam a miss-fed round into the bottom lip of the feed ramp and mangle it beyond use. It's also used to help cure that silly concept of saving weight on a rifle. Unless you're a tier one operator, operating operationally in an operational environment, it's completely unnecessary.
This pretty much sums up my feelings on forward assist

I saw that you already ordered one, but I'll leave one other thought for anyone else that stumbles onto this thread.

I would also vote for the A2/MBUS combo. In addition to what other said (learning irons is good, you can always add optics later, etc), I would also point out that a pinned A2 front sight post is about the most robust sight available for an AR. Since this is your first AR, and will probably be your only for a while, you may as well get something tough. The MBUS rear sight is good enough to start with, but if you can replace it with one of the many steel rear sights available, you will have a rock-solid sighting platform that can be dropped, tossed in a truck bed, or be otherwise abused without losing zero.

You seriously can't beat the front sight post + steel rear sight combination for durability. It's an excellent choice for someone who only has one AR.

Why wouldn't you order one and have it sent to an FFL in Salem?
https://www.primaryarms.com/smith-and-wesson-mp-15-sport-ii-16in-barrel-5.56
Because I'm terribly impatient and don't like to wait for shiny new toys. :p

I've gotta say I had a great experience at the shop and I think it was well worth the drive. I spent about 20 minutes in there and walked out a happy camper.

MP15.jpg

Because I'm terribly impatient and don't like to wait for shiny new toys. :p

I've gotta say I had a great experience at the shop and I think it was well worth the drive. I spent about 20 minutes in there and walked out a happy camper.

View attachment 856832

Nice! It should serve you well! Good to see that they had some ammo on hand as well!

Also, nice choice on the handguard; that is one small upgrade that will go a long way for shooting comfortably!

Congrats on the new rifle! I think that the Sport 2 is an excellent choice for a first AR. They use to be the only low end AR that had a chrome lined barrel, and that is a good feature to have.

It's been interesting to read up on folks thoughts on the forward assist. I don't recall ever needing one, even in the Army with a M16. The one time I remember trying/needing it was (fortunately) at the range, and it seemed to make the jam worse.

Thanks for all the replies and insight! It is much appreciated. I'm glad I went with the A2/Mbus version. I may never need or use the forward assist, but I don't mind it being there.

As far as the wait goes, I was told the background check system was backed up and it could be a long time (2 weeks...). The guy at the shop said having a CHL could speed up the process. Since it took hardly any time at all I'm assuming it did. Or I just got lucky and came at the right time. :D

I have work colleague that has the original S&W AR15 Sport rifle. No FA and does not have a dust cover either. I gave him a few Magpul G2 foliage green magazines, and a few boxes of Speer 64gr JSP. It has a 1/9" twist barrel and 5.56mm NATO chamber. He just needs to keep the bolt closed so debris doesn't get into the rifle.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top