JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The only 1911 I've shot is a Kimber and I loved it. It is expensive and I like the look of the one I did shoot. I am not very knowledgable about the different options as far as manufacturer and model or option vs cost. Any input would be appreciated. I want to keep the cost below $1,000. Thanks:)

This is probably one of the most asked/debated questions on here. It seems most 1911 owners on here are very brand/model loyal, as I am :)
My suggestion would be a nice Springfield Armory R.O. You're getting a steel gun, with NM barrel, target sights, and a life-time warranty. Last time I looked, my local shop had them for $699. Hard to beat that... but then again, I'm a big fan of Springfield 1911s- never owned a Kimber.

if you can find them, a ruger sr1911 is a great value...

there are a lot of Kimber fans here and they are great guns, but their popularity comes at a price (literal dollars) and they tend to cost more than a comparable non-kimber gun...

if you're new to 1911's I would recommend springfield armory for their lifetime warranty and great customer service... just avoid N serial numbers (made in brazil)...

I would recommend the SA loaded.. usually around 800$ and has nightsights...

I'm down to just two 1911's. One is a Remington R1, Talo edition. This comes the closest, in feel and balance, to the 1911's I carried while in the Army. Had a small issue that was quickly resolved and the gun runs like a champ. 50 rounds a week to stay in practice, probably well over a 1,000 rounds in the 6 or so months I've had it.

2d gun is a Rock Island match grade 1911. This has been a great shooter since I bought it. I'm not a fan of the Ambi-Safety, but that's because I'm just not used to it. The grips and frame seem a bit thicker in hand than the Remington, but not overly so. This one also has over a 1000 rounds through the tube and gets to eat an average of 50 rounds a week.

Both guns were under $700 each, have been reliable, accurate shooters. They both eat whatever ammo I feed them without a hiccup.

Whatever 1911 you wind up with, make sure it feels good in your hands and cycles smoothly. Then shoot it...a lot.

Many good 1911's out there. I've owned a bunch of them Kimber, Colt, Dan Wesson, STI and some Springfields. They are all good. I currently own two full size Colts that are very accurate.

I prefer Colt myself but if you liked the Kimber then go with that. I think most of the major name brands are about equal in reliability but some have better fit and finish. I, personally, would avoid the low budget guns. I prefer the older Colts mostly for their old school looks.

d0713819.jpg

For a grand, I would look for a used Colt or Dan Wesson. You should be able to find a decent one for that price if you are patient.

2nd choice, and for less money, look for one of the SR1911.

I own all of the above and am pleased with them every one of them. I have no experience with any other brands, so I can't comment on them.

I'd suggest one that has some of the customizations already on it like a commander hammer, skeleton trigger, and beavertail grip safety. Those are nice tweaks that you'll wind up wanting to spend money on later.

I have a SA LW Loaded I took up to Wichaka for a trigger job.
1. He changed out the 28lb mainspring to a 25lb as it mated well with the hammer hook work he did on it.
2. A Colt Sear and Sear spring were also installed.
3.Trigger was set to 4.5 pounds and breaks very, very nice.

I then installed an EGW oversize stainless firing pin stop with a very slight bevel and changed out the Recoil Spring to a Wolff. I also removed the ILS and went with the Smith and Alexander flat mainspring housing,mainspring cap and housing retainer pin. Also changed to a Wilson o/s mag release and checkered front strap.

SA Loaded 1911 013.jpg

Monkey Grips - Larry will make them any way you want.
http://davidsonknives.com/

SA Loaded 1911 013.jpg

2d gun is a Rock Island match grade 1911. This has been a great shooter since I bought it.

Everyone makes a 1911 nowadays. Like you, my first experience was with a friend's Kimber. When I hit the can of shaving cream from 20 yards out I was hooked.

I also didn't want to spend $1200 on a handgun. I looked at Springfield and RIA, and eventually settled on a 1911A1 from RIA. That was several years ago. A few thousand rounds later I have absolutely no complaints.. You can get a much prettier 1911 no question, but at the end of the day they're only as good as the man behind the trigger.

RUN from Kimber... for the most part. Too many issues, too crappy of CS, etc. Not saying I'd never own one, just be VERY picky if you choose to.
Warrior1.jpg

I am a HUGE Springfield fan and would recommend a used TRP or find a Range Officer. I like the loadeds as well but the RO has some features I prefer. If you're a rail fan they also have their operator line.
Now if you can find a Dan Wesson CBOB/VBOB/Guardian etc in your price grab it. I had a CCO and was one of the nicest 1911's I've owned. Sold to work on a build I'm finishing up.
Rock Island's tend to be great shooters, I have one and enjoy it. But if you have the budget I would look at others.

I have both Kimbers and RIA 1911's - I am a fan of both. I think the RIA makes a very good reliable discount 1911 that I have had no problems with. They however are not as accurate as a kimber but they dont need to be, I use the RIA compacts for carry. Actually the kimbers being as tight as they are make them more finicky about the ammunition you feed them. I will buy another of either when I have the spare change. One thing I think is over looked when a 1911 is bought is to buy good magazines, not the 8.99 specials.

I fully disagree with the kimber haters. I have yet to see a kimber that wont shoot or one that is broken in person.

James Ruby

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top