JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Considered posting this in Prep & Survival forum, but my goal here is neither, just general purpose.

I'm looking at the Harbor Freight 100W Solar Panel Kit and wondering if anyone here (who's actually owned/used one) would recommend it - or not.
I can permanently install the panels on a perfectly angled roof of my back-yard shed. Purposes/Goals:
- Simple lights (two included) when I go in there for short durations.
- Power small tools with an inverter I already own (again, just for a few minutes now and then).
- Keep a couple beefy deep cycle 12V RV-type batteries topped off all the time.

First, is this decent equipment for what I'm planning? I'm well aware of Harbor Freight's reputation for breakage, etc. I've had years and years of really good luck using HF tools for basic home upgrade projects and hobbies (perhaps because I'm not a pro using them 40hrs/wk). Is there better beginner solar gear in the same price range?

I looked at all the YouTubes but never found a direct answer to this: Will the included charge controller serve as a "float" charger and just trickle-charge my batteries so I can leave them connected 24/7?

Any other components I should add to accomplish my goals? Recommended brand/type RV batteries?

Thanks for constructive input.

I haven't been impressed with it. I have it hooked up to my travel trailer with two GC2 6v batteries wired in series and maybe I don't know how to set the digital charger but after a week of sun an no use no noticeable difference. I even isolated the batteries from the trailer. I forget what I paid last year for it but it's yours if you want to come get it. I live near Stayton but work north of Salem off of I5 if you want it. Consider it a pay it foreword if you may.

I haven't been impressed with it. I have it hooked up to my travel trailer with two GC2 6v batteries wired in series and maybe I don't know how to set the digital charger but after a week of sun an no use no noticeable difference. I even isolated the batteries from the trailer. I forget what I paid last year for it but it's yours if you want to come get it. I live near Stayton but work north of Salem off of I5 if you want it. Consider it a pay it foreword if you may.

Sending PM, thanks in advance!

Deep cycle batteries are different animals than starting batteries as far as charging goes. The proper link between your trailer batteries and the solar panel should be appropriate for maintaining (Float charging) the batteries. If you are depleting the cycling batteries you must have a specific voltage, ( about 14.5 v) and amperage ( 6-10 amps) when recharging from being depleted. If you deplete the charge by, say, 50% and do not use the appropriate volts and amp to recharge those expensive batteries it will shorten the life of the battery greatly. I ruined TWO deep cycle batteries in about five years by using the good old Schumacher battery charger. I found that I was getting only 11 volts on the 10 amp setting. A good three stage charger was the ticket. Something along the lines of this..

I should also ad that the chargers like the one above also have battery maintenance settings like "equalization" and "de-sulfation settings" that will extent the life of the cycling batteries.

Deep cycle batteries are different animals than starting batteries as far as charging goes. The proper link between your trailer batteries and the solar panel should be appropriate for maintaining (Float charging) the batteries. If you are depleting the cycling batteries you must have a specific voltage, ( about 14.5 v) and amperage ( 6-10 amps) when recharging from being depleted. If you deplete the charge by, say, 50% and do not use the appropriate volts and amp to recharge those expensive batteries it will shorten the life of the battery greatly. I ruined TWO deep cycle batteries in about five years by using the good old Schumacher battery charger. I found that I was getting only 11 volts on the 10 amp setting. A good three stage charger was the ticket. Something along the lines of this..

I should also ad that the chargers like the one above also have battery maintenance settings like "equalization" and "de-sulfation settings" that will extent the life of the cycling batteries.
Thanks, good info.

I already ruined an Exide AGM that I abused in a boat and then left uncharged in my garage for 3 years (I know, stupid). Last week, my charger didn't even recognize it was a battery. So I hooked it up in parallel with my truck battery (and the charger) and "snuck" a charge into it that way. It can charge independently now, but it's still damaged and won't hold much. So I need to buy something new and functional. Bi-Mart house brand? Optima? Exide again?

Last Edited:
i have the Harbor Freight solar kit charging my electric gate. Walmart deep cycle battery. In the winter time the battery can get low due to lack of sun but that's going to happen with any solar setup unless you go big.

I've had no issues with the solar setup. Make sure you tape all the connections so water doesn't get in them.

i have the Harbor Freight solar kit charging my electric gate. Walmart deep cycle battery. In the winter time the battery can get low due to lack of sun but that's going to happen with any solar setup unless you go big.

I've had no issues with the solar setup. Make sure you tape all the connections so water doesn't get in them.
And or dielectric grease.

Thanks, good info.

I already ruined an Exide AGM that I abused in a boat and then left uncharged in my garage for 3 years (I know, stupid). Last week, my charger didn't even recognize it was a battery. So I hooked it up in parallel with my truck battery (and the charger) and "snuck" a charge into it that way. It can charge independently now, but it's still damaged and won't hold much. So I need to buy something new and functional. Bi-Mart house brand? Optima? Exide again?

I'm surprised your AGM bit the dust. If you were to take what the folks at ifish say about the, crazy expensive, Gel and AGM batteries you get years and years out of them no matter what you do to abuse them.

A smart charger sometimes won't start charging a battery that is dead-dead. That's why I'll never get rid of the 'ol Schumacher (sp?). You did the same by getting some juice in it.

What I hear "Them" say is there are only three battery manufacturers batteries on the shelves in The US. Bi-Mart is Exide. I've recently had to purchase TWO batteries for two of the three vehicles and the Bi-Mart receipt says "Exide" on it. I just go Bi-mart. I do think Trojan and Rolls batteries are probably up with the best. How much better, I dunno? I had a Trojan for the electric in the boat for years. I never ran the electric enough to find out if it were better or not. Eventually, ten years maybe, it started to swell in one of the cells. I'd guess massive sulfation. I went Bi-Mart deep cycle since then.

The Gel and AGM batteries are probably great. But they are also designed to be abused, take more of a physical beating, say, in off-road/off-shore applications. And laid on their sides without spilling. Or gassing as much as a flooded battery when in an enclosed area. There's plenty of reading out there on the differences. What I've got from reading is, a standard flooded cell battery will give you more juice overall that the AGM and Gel batteries. Flooded battery negatives are spillage possibilities and gassing when charging.

The biggest thing is having the proper amperage and voltage for charging a deep cycle battery. Gel and AGM deep cycle batteries have different charging needs than flooded deep cycle batteries.

90 day warranty suggests it is not cost effective for them to replace all the broken ones that will occur after 3 months. May be cheep up front until you have to replace it time and time again. I see a number of ~300 watt range American made solar panels that have 12 year warranties in the $230-300 range (these are the permanent mounting type requiring inverters).

My failed Exide AGM was really abused Mike. I ran it down to nothing several times and left it that way frequently for long durations. Constant parasitic drain in a parked boat added insult to injury. And then it sat in a hot/cold garage for 3 years.

It's showing some life again since I tricked it into taking charges - but very little and not for long. Using a 750w inverter, I test fired a belt sander just for moments today and watched the voltage drop significantly with each squeeze.

I know it's a heavy hit, but I'm hoping to get an occasional 2-3 minutes out of a metal chop saw that I plan to leave set up in the shed. Since I want two batteries (minimum), I'll get a brand new one tonight and run A/B comparisons to see how bad the old Exide really is. It's not looking good.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top