Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Going shooting in WA - question

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by eternalphoenix64, Feb 2, 2013.

1. eternalphoenix64

eternalphoenix64 Washougal, WA Member

So I want to go to the Larch rock pit to do some shooting and sight in a scope, I seem to recall there's some late hunting season going right now and I just wanted to see if anyone knows if I need to have a hunting license to carry and shoot. I know where I used to live (Colorado), you did. Don't wanna head up and end up with a ticket.

2. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

look up the regs on Deoartment of fish and wildlife.

3. eternalphoenix64

I've been looking and couldn't find anything specific to recreational shooting and I'm currently waiting on a reply from WDFW. Just trying to find out for sure before I go

4. HuckFin

HuckFin mt rainier Active Member

I target shoot all the time during hunting season with no hunting license. So do all my friends and relatives. No ones ever said anything to me about it, including the park ranger up here where I live.

5. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

Is Larch Pit in a hunting area? If it is not there should be no issues

6. eternalphoenix64

I'm pretty sure if it isn't, it's pretty close. Better to err on the side of caution in my book. I've been placed in cuffs due to misunderstanding before. No charges once they finally got around to questioning me, but I'd rather not repeat the experience. Sitting in the back of a squad car with cuffs on behind you SUCKS and hurts.

7. hermannr

hermannr Okanogan Highlands Well-Known Member

And you didn't sue them under civil rights law 1983? The way you stop LE from stepping on people's rights is to make it cost them/

Redcap and (deleted member) like this.
  8. hermannr

hermannr Okanogan Highlands Well-Known Member

Is there soemthing I need to know. F&W law is in RCW 77..read it. I do not know how they could charge you, but read RCW 77 to be sure.

9. BAMCIS

BAMCIS Eugene Well-Known Member

I don't think you will have any problem no matter if hunting season is open or not. Take a look at this:

After reading this it seems pretty clear to me.

gehrheart and (deleted member) like this.
  10. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Well if it's deer season and you are running about the woods without a license they may question you,but now,with it only being coyote season,I don't think they care.
    And I don't see them caring unless you are looking like you are hunting and not sport shooting. You know, like glassing a clear cut?

11. eternalphoenix64

Just got my reply from WDFW and they confirmed that I don't need a license for recreational shooting, but they might come and ask me if they hear me just to be certain.

12. Muddslinger12

Muddslinger12 Vancouver Active Member

Good info was always curious bout this too. Also keep in mind the "department of natural resources" manages Larch. (last i checked anyway been a few years so may have changed)

Also dont forget if you collect 3 bags of trash while your up there and snap a pic (dont forget your screen name on cardboard or paper in the pic with the date to "authenticate" it) You get a FREE Bronze membership!

13. mancat

mancat Kitsap County Well-Known Member

Huh, that's cool. I almost always make it out with a few bags of trash at the usual pits I go to. Though last time, that got cut short when I accidentally put my hand into a pile of human crap that was next to a bottle. Fortunately I was wearing cheap work gloves, which then also went into the bag.

14. eternalphoenix64

What does the Bronze membership do for you anyways?