JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Back in the days before The Flood (mid 90s) The Beloved and I were both the recipients of WA State's generous unemployment benefits at the same time. We never had it so good (until we retired).

I'm seeing on the news that employers are having a hard time finding employees, and that's not just the typical low wage type of jobs either. Tech companies are also finding it difficult to fill positions now because employees now have a taste of working from home and many are quitting their "go to office and enjoy the commute" type of desk job in favor of working from home.

You shouldn't have too much trouble finding a new job, good luck. :)

They always word it in such a way to make it harder for you to get unemployment services, it affects companies financially negatively when an ex employee actually gets the claim approved.
My ex employer lied thru his teeth to get me denied and we ended up going to court. He was so sure that he would win that he kept on lying and lying thinking that he would get away with it, fortunately the judge saw through his lies and I was awarded the claim. People that I knew who still worked there said after it was done he was pissed and was treating everyone like shi_t for a week.
Be proactive and fight for yourself, against the company and if need be the state.

Breathing much easier now. I've never not had a job since I was 17. It's a weird feeling.
If you want you may also qaulify for food stamps as a supplement. As long as you dont quit or get fired for theft or destruction of property you will get it.

Good luck, it is a fantastic time to search, hopefully you get a better job than your last one in the end.

If you want you may also qaulify for food stamps as a supplement. As long as you dont quit or get fired for theft or destruction of property you will get it.

Good luck, it is a fantastic time to search, hopefully you get a better job than your last one in the end.
In this climate he will not get food stamps if he is a cis white male... we know that ALL white males get preferential treatment.. :rolleyes:

My pride has never let me collect unemployment, my work ethic has made me never need it.
I don't mean to reopen a disagreement or start an argument, and no disrespect intended, but I used to feel much the same way. I was proud and self-sufficient. Then came the '08 recession, and the whole plant shut down, dumping 1,400 skilled, unemployed workers on the local market.

I did what I had to do, used whatever programs were available to me, with one exception: food stamps. Several people told us to apply, but I just figured there was no way, since we owned our home and had money in the bank, and I was too proud. I used Trade Act benefits to go back to school and get a degree. 18 months in, my wife finally did go talk to someone about food stamps. They told her we had been eligable all along, and had passed up something like $12k worth of help! My pride didn't want help, but looking back, I would take any benefits that my family was legitimately eligible for. I don't agree with all the largess in principle, but if it's available my family might as well get some of what we've been paying into for decades, and dang that would have helped, as that was a real tought time for us. I would never abuse it though, and would rather be working. I saw plenty of abuse when I going back to school.

It is hard on the ego, being a "working man" on public assistance. I still remember comments from a couple different friends and acquaintances, how they'd never be without a job. how they'd be digging ditches or flipping burgers, but their pride would never let them suck at the government teet.

Those comments really stung, because I was doing what I had to do, for my family. I could have dug ditches or flipped burgers, and brought in far less than unemployment. We would have struggled far worse during that time, and I wouldn't have gotten a degree that has really helped since then. But at least I would have retained my macho-manly pride.

Again, no disrespect intended. I strongly disapprove of milking the system, and agree that it's much better to be working. My point is just that sometimes the situation is such that you have to swallow your pride and do what you have to do.

With so many job openings EVERYWHERE, and I mean everywhere, why would you go on unemployment? Businesses are literally scrambling for people to even apply. My pride has never let me collect unemployment, my work ethic has made me never need it. I'm the kind of person who would take a job, any job, until I found the right one. If only more workers would act similarly, this whole working class tax (only workers pay taxes) could be reduced. Rant over but needed to be said.
Seriously! I can't throw a rock without hitting a business with a "Now Hiring" sign on it, INCLUDING the place I work!

53d7a500c30b01396a24005056a9545d.jpg

Had a phone interview yesterday. Was going well until he mentioned the travel requirement. Occasional travel is ok - once or twice a year maybe, but 25-50%? Nope. I have to stick around to help my daughter, and I do not like traveling that often (did it quite a bit for my first job after college) and I want to get a cat/dog. Would have been ok though - he said maybe another dev position that didn't require travel? Then I mentioned that my internet access is limited to 6mbps - oops, deal breaker. Apparently fin tech orgs require much more bandwidth, even for dev? This is the second one where this was an issue.

Oh well. Now I know. Going to find some way to mention that in my applications for jobs. Another two months and I will give up.

My point here is that if someone WANTS to work there's a real surplus of work out there. If they'd prefer to collect UI then there's nothing I can say to sway that, it's how they're wired.
There's a reason there is a surplus of jobs and it's not because the employees died of covid. I suspect we will see workers return in the fall, if the extra Fed paymeny truly ends. I am seeing help wanted signs everywhere.

There's a reason there is a surplus of jobs and it's not because the employees died of covid. I suspect we will see workers return in the fall, if the extra Fed paymeny truly ends. I am seeing help wanted signs everywhere.
There's a huge glut of "free" money everywhere. Starting tomorrow, we will receive over $1000 every month for my kids. This was not asked for, applied for, or even needed. And, I have to file in order to reject it. But, after rejecting it it is automatically applied to next years taxes. I really wish the average person on unemployment would suck up a little pride and take a job for the short term. Unfortunately, too many will not.

If anyone is looking for a job in my area, let me know. If you're technically inclined, good at electro-mechanical trouble shooting, and willing to learn (and work), it's a good job. I don't know what starting pay is, probably 50-60k at least.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top