JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
All this delightful wackiness this evening, including pics of the magnums, has me thinking of something .500 S&W. Oh, I need to finish the SBR lever-gun first, but only the Creator might know when the first part will be done at the gunsmith (thread and slick) and our federal friends will approve my stamp.

Until then, why not contemplate a wheel-gun in the half-inch range? The obvious choice is a S&W, but there are offerings from Freedom Arms (most choice, but not cheap) and Taurus (never had a problem with their wheelguns, wouldn't touch their autos with a ten foot pole). Maybe there are others? Who knows.

What say you on the biggest boomer around? I'm sure there will be great balls of fire. :s0112:

7381DB16-1A99-4B5A-8E18-F047C81C29D1.png
I really enjoy mine!!! I say go for it, just load it single until you get used to it. I had someone experience a double on mine!!!

I bought mine on a whim, went to gun show and came home with one. I never knew I wanted one but have zero regrets. If you ever come north before buying one I'll let you take mine for a test ride! I have a box of 700 grain bullet that I need to load up, then I'll see if I still like it, LOL

One my work colleagues has S&W 500 and he only has 300 grain bullets that he shoots. Does a 700 grain bullet dull the recoil any or make it harsher?

One my work colleagues has S&W 500 and he only has 300 grain bullets that he shoots. Does a 700 grain bullet dull the recoil any or make it harsher?

Harsher. MUCH HARSHER!!!

Imagine the difference of igniting a cinder block to push it through the barrel - or - igniting a VW Bug to push it through. :eek:

I like 300 - 350 grain bullets out of my 4" barrel.

Rumor has it that a 2" barrel is just unbelievably violent. Then again i couldn't confirm what grain bullets they were running through it.

I bought mine on a whim, went to gun show and came home with one. I never knew I wanted one but have zero regrets. If you ever come north before buying one I'll let you take mine for a test ride! I have a box of 700 grain bullet that I need to load up, then I'll see if I still like it, LOL
Did you buy it from a dealer? I traded mine in on an old 1911 at a Portland show... 5"?
I can't remember the dealer's name, but they were from Salem, Eugene or some other place south...
It was a lot of fun.

I shot 400 grain reloads most of the time @ somewhere around 11-1200fps. The Hornady 300 grain (not flextip) recoiled more because they were loaded hotter. Comparing apples to apples, a heavier bullet will generally create more recoil. There comes a point where the bullet intrudes into the case too far and the limited powder capacity just won't push the bullet fast enough to generate high energy numbers. I wondered if the length of the 700gr cast bullet would have this issue.

Last Edited:
Did you buy it from a dealer? I traded mine in on an old 1911 at a Portland show... 5"?
I can't remember the dealer's name, but they were from Salem, Eugene or some other place south...
It was a lot of fun.

I shot 400 grain reloads most of the time @ somewhere around 11-1200fps. The Hornady 300 grain (not flextip) recoiled more because they were loaded hotter. Comparing apples to apples, a heavier bullet will generally create more recoil. There comes a point where the bullet intrudes into the case too far and the limited powder capacity just won't push the bullet fast enough to generate high energy numbers. I wondered if the length of the 700gr cast bullet would have this issue.
I bought it at the Albany gun show, I'm not sure where the dealer was from. It was a used gun, serial number puts it at 2003, the year they came out. Maybe someday it will become a collectors piece, LOL

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top