JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Left grip panel is broken/cracked up by the safety lever. That lowers the value about $5,000.

In the 1990's, platinum had a streak where it was more valuable than gold. Although rarer than gold, through most of its relatively recent history it has been priced lower. in the 1800's, Russia minted coins made of platinum from their mines in the Ural mtns. The in the 1880's, there was a big strike of platinum in Canada and the price of platinum went way down. For a time thereafter, some previously minted Russian platinum coins were plated in gold to make them acceptable as tender.

The melting temperature of platinum is something like 3,200 degrees F. Years ago, I knew a farrier who came across some platinum wire. He tried heroically to melt it down in his forge without success. I wonder how this figures in with making guns with this plating.

Wouldn't they have used an electroplating technique.

I thought so, too, but it's not. It's relieved for the safety lever.

I don't agree. The safety lever doesn't swing that way. Look at pictures of other period Lugers. Also, note the dark inlay, which jogs at the crack; when the repair was made, they didn't get it lined up quite right. With a brittle material such as ivory, this would be an easy area to break if the grip wasn't removed carefully.

Wouldn't they have used an electroplating technique.

No doubt. I was thinking that most gun manufacturers wouldn't be set up to do their own plating in platinum. Probably sent that part of the work out.

Platinum is harder than gold but still relatively soft. Surely assembly of such guns took extra care and handling.

I was wondering why they wouldn't have engraved the main body of the barrel, only the raised area at the muzzle. By choice or some reason of materials used. Otherwise, even the front and rear grip straps are engraved.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top