JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
SAN FRANCISCO -- An appellate court has upheld references to God on U.S. currency and in the Pledge of Allegiance, rejecting arguments they violate the constitutional separation of church and state.

"The Pledge of Allegiance serves to unite our vast nation through the proud recitation of some of the ideals upon which our Republic was founded," Judge Carlos Bea wrote for the majority in the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals 2-1 ruling Thursday.

Bea noted that schools do not require students to recite the pledge, which was amended to include the words "under God" by a 1954 federal law. Members of Congress at the time said they wanted to set the United States apart from "godless communists."

In a separate 3-0 ruling, the appeals court upheld the inscription of the national motto "In God We Trust" on U.S. coins and currency, citing an earlier 9th Circuit panel that ruled the phrase is ceremonial and patriotic and "has nothing whatsover to do with the establishment of religion."

I'm not religious, but this was a win for America.

I think it belongs on a different forum, because we argue enough about the minutiae of gun politics as it is - we don't need to go anywhere near religion.

Why is it that if someone mentions God, people who apparently don't believe in God freaks out. But you can talk about Darwin and that religion all day. None of those statements were about religion. Just that some of us believe in Guns and God. And our hope that God will protect our GOD GIVEN RIGHTS that were written in the US CONSTITUTION.

Why is it that if someone mentions God, people who apparently don't believe in God freaks out. But you can talk about Darwin and that religion all day. None of those statements were about religion. Just that some of us believe in Guns and God. And our hope that God will protect our GOD GIVEN RIGHTS that were written in the US CONSTITUTION.

A document, interestingly enough, that does not mention God even once.

A document, interestingly enough, that does not mention God even once.

It didn't need to.. That was already taken care of by The Declaration of Independence:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights

Cheeky fellows back in those days were fairly concerned with separation of church and State. Imagine that. This is why I believe the Declaration of Independence does not say "God", but "their Creator".

I think that we have the God given right to protect ourselves, our loved ones, and those who cannot defend themselves. If that requires the carrying of guns (which it does), then it would be my God given right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separation_of_church_and_state

The Treaty of Tripoli
Main article: Treaty of Tripoli
In 1797, the United States Senate ratified a treaty with Tripoli that stated in Article 11:
As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; ...[29]
Supporters of the separation of church and state believe this article confirms that the government of the United States was specifically intended to be religiously neutral. Drafted by George Washington's administration with Thomas Jefferson's help, they claim it becomes, with the Constitution, "the supreme Law of the Land" -- as Article VI-2. of the US Constitution says it must.

I do not think it takes a Rocket Scientist from NASA or someone with a degree from Yale or Harvard to understand who they are referring too in the below underlined statements.

From the Declaration of Independence...

When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Last Edited:
1 more...

We, therefore, the Representatives of the united States of America, in General Congress, Assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, do, in the Name, and by Authority of the good People of these Colonies, solemnly publish and declare, That these United Colonies are, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent States; that they are absolved from all Allegiance to the British Crown, and that all political connection between them and the State of Great Britain, is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as Free and Independent States, they have full Power to levy War, conclude Peace, contract Alliances, establish Commerce, and to do all other Acts and Things which Independent States may of right do.

Sure, but you referred to the Constitution - a document that was written a decade after the Declaration of Independence.

Anyway, I have no problem with the inclusion of God in public discourse. I have a big problem with anybody who insists that the United States is a Christian nation or that Christianity should enjoy some sort of favored status here.

Sure, but you referred to the Constitution - a document that was written a decade after the Declaration of Independence.

Anyway, I have no problem with the inclusion of God in public discourse. I have a big problem with anybody who insists that the United States is a Christian nation or that Christianity should enjoy some sort of favored status here.

Do you know why the Constitution was written a decade after the Declaration of Independence? Because the Declaration of Independence was in reality a declaration of WAR against england. The 56 men who signed that little piece of paper were considered traitors by the crown and hunted like animals for 13 long years, most died penniless. And the last signature on the Declaration of Independence was signed 5 years after the first signature. We are a Christian nation, not catholic or protestant but Christian. The people who wrote those two important pieces of paper were Christian, 99% of the men who fought and died for this country in it's first 200 years were Christian. We believe in Jesus Christ, that he is the Son of God, that he died for our sins. But you don't believe, it's ok with me.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top