JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is a simulation of what went down in Parkland with a time clock, video from the cameras and the radio calls integrated. It's absolutely astounding how badly Broward County deputies failed those kids.

Read the story first and take note of some of the comments in the story (I posted a few below). Then watch the simulation:

** Note that there is a long silent period initially but sound will come on at the first radio transmission.

'The cavalry is here, I can let go': Inside the long wait for help at Parkland massacre

"When he saw us, he f---ing just ... he hit the ground," Wilkins said in an interview with Florida Department of Law Enforcement agents that was released Wednesday. "Almost like the cavalry is here, I can f---ing let go."

Then the BSO deputy "said something very stupid, okay, that's not reflected in my report," Wilkins said. "Which is 'we all can't stand behind this tree, we're gonna get shot.' "

"Don't go in. The shooter's right in that building right there," Cardinale said he was told by one of the deputies. "Be careful."

Cardinale had no choice. His son was a Stoneman Douglas student. His son was inside the building.

"F--- you," Cardinale responded. "I'm going in."

This is exactly why we need to get serious about hardening schools and allowing the teachers to be so armed if they choose to. Otherwise the status quo of soft targets including schools will continue to be used by evil people and used as "martyrs" for the cause of mass disarmament...
Of special note is that the Courts claim that protection applies to "those in custody of the police/LEOs" :rolleyes:

As public employees they don't!!!!!!!:eek::eek::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

This may be taken by some that public employees are not human. I take no stand on that assumption.

Yeah, it's a tough call. But as a human, the right thing to do is step up. As a lowly civilian I've had some interesting experiences. And not once did I hide behind a tree or avoid a situation to protect my own well being.

There are a couple of Parkland threads about.
Other State - Parkland - Follow up
National - CNN affiliate reports 20+ victims Florida high school shooting
GO WATCH THIS: Inside the long wait for help at Parkland
National - My daughter died at Parkland. While we argue about guns, let's fix school security.

Florida passed a law to up-arm the schools. They didn't fund it. So, the deputies are pulled out of high crime neighborhoods to patrol safe suburban schools.

I like the idea of school resource officers being armed. I like the idea that teachers could be armed (choice, with training, not a requirement) I like the idea that CCP owners could come to schools(with reason - not just to walk their dog in the field) But, pulling officers out of where they are needed, is just as stupid.

Seems like lots of things wrong on that day.

I know that I will do whatever it takes to keep my students safe at school ...What that means and looks like is totally situational and will mean a different response , depending on the nature of the threat.

Will I be heroic ...No
But I Damn well will make sure that others will live because of my actions.
Andy

Some people cannot physically move toward danger.
Until tested, some people will not know if they can.

Seen that more than once , while on deployment...As the old saying goes :
"There but for the grace of God , go I..."
I understand that some folks won't...all I can really say 'bout that is , that I am glad that I was not one of them , when the time came.
Andy

Knowing what I know now....
If I was a kid at a school, I would go up to my armed resource officer and ask,
"If and when the time comes, will you be too afraid to go in ?".
Maybe he would remember my question......and my face.

They should at a minimum, take Peterson's pension away from him.
He signed on to protect those kids and then committed gross dereliction of duty.
But it's not his duty to protect, its to uphold the law.

Law Enforcement Officer...

Cowards

I think the absence of a constitutional duty to protect gets mischaracterized sometimes. The Constitution constrains the government and guarantees negative rights to the people. It doesn't purtport to guarantee anything to the people apart from protection from the government. It's precisely what makes the claims that health care, housing, food, the right to "feel safe", etc are rights so stupid. The S African constitution is full of such so-called rights... bfd, it means less than the parchment it's scrawled on.

Having no constitutional duty to protect simply means it's not covered in our Constitution, it doesn't negate the fact that commissioned LEOs swear an oath. Absence of constitutional inclusion also doesn't negate the oath itself and using it as cover, a dodge, or an "out" when accused of malpractice and/or inaction is beyond bad optics.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top