JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hospital that you don't want to have them vote for SB 1551 because it is ineffective in stopping criminal from buying guns. Meeting is sponsored by CEASEFIRE OREGON. [The Oregonian just published an article on gun thefts and cite current 14000 outstanding current gun thefts but 16,000 life-time total gun thefts for 2013 for Multnomah County (Source the Oregon State Police) and the OREGON LIVE 1/25/2014.

Sen. Hayward's phone is 503-986-1717

Rep. Greenlick phone is 503-986-1433.

The meeting is at 1015 NW 22nd avenue, Portland

Estimated Oregon stats for gun thefts c/o the Oregon Live:

estimated 4320 gun thefts but 46,000 for Oregon through 2013.

If I was able to go, one of the questions among many is;

if this is about who (background checks), then why does the bill specify what, when, and where will need to be recorded and kept by the government ( who are not exactly doing the best job of late) and why that isn't a registry?

Why we should pass a new law, if this one won't do much (her own words from the last town hall), when the existing laws are not fully being enforced and no one is talking about the lack of mental health issues?

Where in the hospital? Those places are large.

Greenlick was the moron who introduced the assault weapon ban that included provisions for the police yo inspect homes in the house last year then distanced himself when his office was flooded with phone calls. He already had a track record of introducing overbearing, nanny legislation.

I'll try and see if I can make it there but my work might cause a conflict.

If I was able to go, one of the questions among many is;

if this is about who (background checks), then why does the bill specify what, when, and where will need to be recorded and kept by the government ( who are not exactly doing the best job of late) and why that isn't a registry?

Why we should pass a new law, if this one won't do much (her own words from the last town hall), when the existing laws are not fully being enforced and no one is talking about the lack of mental health issues?

THE HOSPITAL'S AUDITORIUM ACROSS FROM THE MAIN ENTRANCE. WITH IMMORTAL WORDS: "GIVE 'EM HELL!".

HOPEFULLY, THE PRO-GUN GROUP WILL DOMINATE THE CONVERSATION.

I wonder what Sen. Howards opinion is of the recent change in senate rules that give the public as little as one hour to review and comment on bills before committee votes.

From the OFF facebook post:
he Senate Rules. They give the public an entire hour to see a bill before they act on it. An entire hour! But check this out:

"During the hour, the committee could discuss the amendment, hear a staff explanation or take public testimony, but no substantive or procedural vote could be taken on the measure or amendment during the hour."

So the public can testify on a bill they have not seen. Then the bill is made available and the committee can vote on it.

Makes sense to me:

http://www.oregonlegislature.gov/secretary-of-senate/Documents/2014 Rule Revisions with Memo.pdf

Didn't make it but hope some people here did.

Got out of work really late thanks to catching up from my damned cold yesterday.

It was a big audience, but really quiet. Only three people actually spoke. The three topics were gun rights (me), CRC bridge, and OHSU funding. The two politicians are also doctors and most of the audience was from the hospital, so perhaps they were mostly interested in the medical bills.

I spoke first on my feelings for SB 1551. Hayward mentioned she didn't feel the current system was fair because it penalized gun shows and gun dealers over private sellers, so SB 1551 was fairer. She also mentioned her household had 7 guns.

Greenlick chimed in and started talking about gun rights in general, and his push for an assault weapon ban (HB 3200) last year. He complained that he is still getting rude emails about it, despite distancing himself from the flawed bill. I said he should read bills before introducing them, which brought a chuckle from the audience. He said he would continue to push for an AWB (in some form) in the future.

Surprisingly, no one in the audience applauded this, or spoke up to counter me. I'm guessing average people (liberals included) are tired of the gun rights debate. They actually wrapped up early at 7:00 since no one else in the audience wanted to speak.

I wonder what Sen. Howards opinion is of the recent change in senate rules that give the public as little as one hour to review and comment on bills before committee votes.

From the OFF facebook post:
he Senate Rules. They give the public an entire hour to see a bill before they act on it. An entire hour! But check this out:

"During the hour, the committee could discuss the amendment, hear a staff explanation or take public testimony, but no substantive or procedural vote could be taken on the measure or amendment during the hour."

So the public can testify on a bill they have not seen. Then the bill is made available and the committee can vote on it.

Makes sense to me:

http://www.oregonlegislature.gov/secretary-of-senate/Documents/2014 Rule Revisions with Memo.pdf
Here are the Senate Rules. They give you an idea of how quickly they can bring something new in, vote on it and shove it back out the door. If citizens are not there at the time it looks like they are s.o.l. 8.20 starts on page 16 and the related sections 8.15 and 8.16 start at the bottom of page 14.

Here are the Senate Rules. They give you an idea of how quickly they can bring something new in, vote on it and shove it back out the door. If citizens are not there at the time it looks like they are s.o.l. 8.20 starts on page 16 and the related sections 8.15 and 8.16 start at the bottom of page 14.

I actually did get an answer to that. I wasn't able to make the town-hall itself, but I did manage to get there just as the last question was being answered, and so stayed around afterwords to ask a few questions. She said that there wasn't anything in place before, and that this was an improvement. She didn't think it was still enough time, but that it was better than nothing. True? I've not followed the senate rules long enough to know if that's an accurate statement or not. Since I missed a majority of the town hall, I didn't really have anything of substance to report back on. See what ocarolan posted above for the best description.

I actually did get an answer to that. I wasn't able to make the town-hall itself, but I did manage to get there just as the last question was being answered, and so stayed around afterwords to ask a few questions. She said that there wasn't anything in place before, and that this was an improvement. She didn't think it was still enough time, but that it was better than nothing. True? I've not followed the senate rules long enough to know if that's an accurate statement or not. Since I missed a majority of the town hall, I didn't really have anything of substance to report back on. See what ocarolan posted above for the best description.
In the past Kevin Starrett has said a voluminous number of times that things were pulled, changed or added at the last minute. I didn't know enough then to find out how they could do that. This appears to be it, or at least part of it. My opinion is any changes need at least 24-48 hours (1-2 business days) of public light before action can proceed.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top