JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Great thread, btw. I pulled my BOB off of a shelf the other day and almost dropped it because of how heavy it has become as I acquire more gear and add it. It's certainly unrealistic to carry (80-90 lbs I estimate). I am now currently making plans to go to a tiered system as I've not matured my preparations enough to require it. I am thinking that I will go with some light packs with quick food, a pistol, and some necessary light gear for my bug out bag, and then put together a duffel bag as a second tier bag that I can grab and throw in the car if I have time. I am thinking that the duffel would contain heavier iron (KSG/870, AR/AK), more food, clothes, first aid, etc.

If I've learned anything since going from a light infantryman to an alpinist, it's that canvas, leather, and steel have no place on your body or back when weight is at all important. Canvas, leather, and steel all hold up a lot better- but how's that going to do you any good when you can't move it? If speed kills; nylon, plastic, and aluminum/titanium will reduce your weight by 50% or better.

At 54 I am a believer in doing what you can while you still can do it. I run every day. A short 3.2 mile course (very hilly) and then a quick 10 min of 35lb dumb bells in various exercises right after the run. Just did a 22 mile backpack trip in 28 hrs. on the Lewis River (including camp and sleep of course). Sure the knees hurt a bit at times but sometimes I do a double loop (6.4miles) depending on how I feel. I run because I can. Someday I may not be able to so for now I feel as in shape as I ever have.
Also a believer in this – "The best exercise is the one that you will do!" Any talk of one type of exercise being better than another does no good if you won't do it...

I ETS'd back in 1996 as an 11b(Infantrymen) so it might have changed since then.... but our Combat Load rucksack was 115lbs as Light Infantry. This is not including Load Bearing Vests, canteens, ammo, MRE's. It was loaded up enough for all basic items to seriously rough it for up to a month, minus food/water of course. Every six months we would do a 100 mile road march with that on in two days... not fun, but doable.

One idea some of us employ is: if you have pre-planned bugout routes, go out and bury small stashes of needed stuff at intervals along that route... as well as your alternates. It can cut down on volume/weight considerably, as well as some comfort in knowing you have pre-scouted cover spots ahead of you to hunker down in when needed for rest.

How much can I carry if I use my Bicycle?

using a bicycle with rack and frame bags and such, you can put oh say 80 pounds of gear spread out on it....at the MOST. Kind of like THIS;
TimView.JPG

or with the addition of a trailer; which would definitely limit your traveling routes; unless you have a single wheel bike trailer;

for the guy in the above pic with the large bags, the volume is approximately two ALICE Medium Rucks plus two to four Butt Packs;

for "low profile"/camouflaged lighter system; here is an example, my old bike (sold the black frame) but gives you idea;

a heavier system with my coyote brown framed bike; black bag holds sleep pad, sleep bag, and small tent; scabbard for rifle, first aid kit on scabbard, two bags to hold clothes and food, front bag holds the rest of items. I need to revise my systems once again when I have the chance; I currently have a more conventional looking cheapo bicycle for around the town trips.

EDIT;
for hiking and walking with a pack on your back, I myself would veer to the 40% as well; however, a game meat cart, or a garden cart with the rest of your heaviest items would help significantly...although it might mean less mobility, it is still far easier and faster for a human, because you can stash the cart somewhere when you need to get moving quickly, having all your essentials on you, while having the heaviest non-essential items in the cart...a motorized cart will definitely help; think of the Mechanical Mule system used by the US Military, and using the electric motor and batteries from an assisted motorized lawnmower, you could get the cart to move under its own power and thus reduce the energy you need to expend on pushing or pulling the thing up a steep hill....
a come-along is also a good piece to have in your kit if you use a cart of some sort, this item will help winch your heavy cart up a steep trail; and you can use it to pull logs for a long log fire; or pull logs out of the way of the trail

Again; sorry if it sounds like I am all for wheeled items to carry loads, it just that it is so much more convenient to use such items when you need to save energy for the activities you might need to partake of (foraging/hunting for food, firefights, avoiding people, things like that) P7220443_zps64e836e6.jpg P4160259_zps07e085d5.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top