JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Great news! The FCC has changed their licensing fees. GMRS and Ham tickets are now $35 each. No reason not to get the GMRS and be legal. Come on, you know you want it! I think the FCC realized that at $80, it wasn't exactly compelling people to get the GMRS ticket. New pricing takes effect 4/19/2021. More info in the links below.

For hams, this change is an unwelcome cost increase.

From $00.00 to $35 per 10 years.

I, and every ham I've spoken with on this topic, strongly object to paying for the privilege of using the array of radio equipment we purchased to, without charge to anyone, assist our communities with communications during emergencies or disasters.

While it won't stop me from continuing as a volunteer radio operator, the fee has caused some volunteers who are involved in CERT to delay or abandon pursuing a license. All whom I've spoken with have fixed/low incomes and are choosing to spend their limited funds on other CERT gear.

As a ham and GMRS licensee, I have mixed feelings about the transition to the new fee structure. I paid $70 last year for GMRS, and $0 in January for my ham ticket. So, ten years from now I'll still be out $70 total for both licenses. It's a wash for me, but I can see where some people could get upset about going from $0 to $35. Although, it works out to $3.50 per year, so...

I paid $70 for my GMRS license last year, too. Does this mean FCC will be sending me a $35 refund check? They can call it 'stimulus' if that helps - I am open-minded.

As a ham and GMRS licensee, I have mixed feelings about the transition to the new fee structure. I paid $70 last year for GMRS, and $0 in January for my ham ticket. So, ten years from now I'll still be out $70 total for both licenses. It's a wash for me, but I can see where some people could get upset about going from $0 to $35. Although, it works out to $3.50 per year, so...
If I remember correctly I spent $85 for my GMRS license. It's up for renewal now so $35 is looking pretty good.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews