JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The knife-guy thread got locked. For good reason, it was going nowhere : https://www.northwestfirearms.com/t...igh-speed-low-friction-operator.377836/page-3

On page 3 of that thread, @gmerkt made an interesting comment. I hope I understood it correctly.

There is no simple solution to the quandary faced by an armed citizenry that wants minimal or no infringement on their right to arms, but also wants a way to prevent crazy people from shooting up schools.

Setting:
A member posted a picture of an individual wearing knives & stuff.
Other members responded.
The majority of responses were derisive.
Then gmerkt cut us with a razor.
He quoted three responses, then, if I understand him correctly, he succinctly asked, "Which is it? What exactly do you want?"

IMO, this is an opportunity to reconcile your preferences for minimal infringement on your right to arms, with your desire, if you have one, to prevent crazy people from being empowered with the same rights you have.

Importantly, this is not about the knife guy in the other thread. We don't know anything about that guy actually.

This is more about whether some line should exist, and how to draw it, and where it is drawn.

Obviously, the Brady Bill and its ancillary legislation represent a societal attempt to draw that line. And we know that this effort has been unsuccessful, due to lack of consistent and comprehensive record keeping, and to lack of prosecution of denials and straw purchases, and to an absence of an effective system for identifying and cataloguing real mental illness threats.
We also know that current policy is trending towards Universal Background Check requirements that encompass non-dealer transactions, and we generally believe that this latest development will not help the overall objective at all, because there is no point of enforcement, and because people who ignore laws will ignore this law. We also don't like UBC because it creates a defacto registry. But it is still being rammed down our throats, primarily because crazy people and criminals are still shooting up our society.

Challenge: address gmerkt's comment.
If I read him correctly, possible responses span a spectrum: from zero restrictions and just live with the outcome, to massive restrictions and their side effects.

Don't attack people. Attack the problem. (edit: deleted unnecessary phrase here)

Thanks to gmerkt. (If I understood him correctly. :D )

Below is the piece of gmerkt's reply to the earlier thread, that I am referring to in this thread:

gmerkt said:

RobMa said:
This is the very type of joker that the anti's use to scare the public into thinking that all gun people are crazy. Yes it is more of a knife thing but he is in a gun store.. that is all the anti's need to push their agenda...
RobMa said:
Regardless of the reasons it's obvious he has psychological problems and certain groups will latch onto that to hurt us and use it in an attempt to take away first our gun rights and then even our right to have a knife.
baker3gun said:
This does not suggest complete mental stability.

In another thread, we were discussing the possibility of psych exams for potential gun buyers. This is an example of, "Would you sell this guy a gun?"

I'll go first.

It seems like FIX NICS, and NO to universal background checks, may be a reasonable approach to managing an obvious problem, but I'm only okay with this approach if we simultaneously improve management of crime and mental illness.
My personal view is that Brady/NICS background checks are an unnecessary infringement in a society that effectively manages crime and mental illness.
We presently are not that society. We need to get there.
My goal would be to make Brady/NICS work now, and spend ~20 years effectively improving management of crime and mental illness, and then scale back or eliminate background check requirements after we bring crime and mental illness under more effective control.
I should say this: I am interested in solutions that are politically viable. I like the idea of nullifying Brady over night, but I don't think that is a politically viable solution.
For crime, the solutions are mostly governmental: we need to make our government much tougher on crime.
For mental illness, the solutions are shared IMO. As a society, we need to improve how we deal with obvious crazy people on a daily basis. A little less MYOB, a little more, "Hey, we need to collectively get ahead of this person before they shoot our school up." With regard to gov't, we need to cause our government to build much larger infrastructure than we currently have for effectively dealing with crazy people. Prisons and homelessness and ignoring obvious warning signs, are not getting the job done.
I have read a lot of late 18th century American history lately. The term "lunaticks" is not absent in their discourse and laws. The idea of control of mental illness is not new in America.

Your thoughts?

Last Edited:
12 Monte Walsh ideas | monte walsh, tom selleck, selleck

I think there are quite a few people who want to infringement *on them* but want lots and lots of infringement on others *they* deem threatening to their own rights. To me it seems strange to say a guy who wants to wear a few knives, maybe just because he likes the look, is any more or less crazy than someone who finds enjoyment in killing animals and ripping their guts out as a pass time.

Last Edited:
Freedom isn't free. Period.

Right to speech means you hear stuff you dont like
Right of religion means Jehovas Witnesses can bug you at home
4th amendment means that sometimes the guilty go free
2nd amendment means bad people can access guns just the same.

Right to speech means you hear stuff you dont like
Right of religion means Jehovas Witnesses can bug you at home
4th amendment means that sometimes the guilty go free
2nd amendment means bad people can access guns just the same.
And the 16th means I don't get to keep my whole paycheck

I'll dive in and attempt to swim in the same deep water as you.
Shotgun blast of complex issues, overlapping and interwoven in our society . Mental illness is actively cultivated by the way we are living our lives in this country. From the BILLIONS in revenue for big pharma, and the diverse beneficiaries of same. Investors, lobbyists, retailers, health care workers, lots of money and lots of people sharing in the profits. To
Social media and popular culture not only normalizing but glorifying being " crazy, mental, bi polar, wild ", but making it an ideal for some.
Using mental or emotional issues as an excuse for bad behavior at all ages is now the norm. If the bulk of our society doesn't push back, this will continue to worsen. I understand your desire for a political viable process to change things for the better. Unfortunately, it's just not going that direction. If the current state by state changes in firearms and personal defense laws continues, I can see more pronounced differences in personal freedom depending on your own state of residence. Federal level charges, imo, aren't good for business. Essentially when you look at the business of getting elected. The states will implement more noticeable changes, the federal government will continue to be the Punch and Judy puppet show we have all been watching for decades.
My .02

...2nd amendment means bad people can access guns just the same.
I understand your point, but the "bad people access" is being effectively used as justification for ending all access.

That's a reality. It is actually happening.

The "freedom isn't free" argument is not untrue, but it won't succeed in preserving the citizen right to arms. It is not a politically viable course of action.
You can stand on a stump and yell it for 20 years, but when you come off that stump, 2A will be long dead.

Respect needs to be taught early, in years past children learned about guns in school & we didn't have the large amount of mass shootings we have today--

On the other hand, Chicago easily beats all the mass shooting totals every year anyhow--why do they get a pass?

Commenting on the " mall ninja knife mannequin " thread that was closed before I got a peice. I saw it as general playground fun ripping on a guy who definitely left the house way overdressed. His right to bear blablablah. What I read was pretty lighthearted.
I submit, if you walked into the local castle super store, and saw someone wearing 15 fleshlights in full bondage regalia, you would try and sneak a few pics to share with friends and laugh later on. Same dude, different toys.

Respect needs to be taught early, in years past children learned about guns in school & we didn't have the large amount of mass shootings we have today--

On the other hand, Chicago easily beats all the mass shooting totals every year anyhow--why do they get a pass?
Because Chicago is diverse

The 16th was never ratified so it can't be a law
but I prefer giving the gov't their money over having them steal it from me
I disagree. My searches indicate February 3, 1913 as ratification date. Certified February 25, 1913. Took several years to get to that point but it happened.

Well, there is a need for society members to take note of concerning words and actions in those around them. Each "mass shooter" gave substantial warnings or demonstrated obvious indications that something bad was brewing. In each and every case, each and every warning sign was disregarded.

Sandy Hook school shooting. The autistic kid/perpetrator - the day before - had become embroiled in an angry confrontation with a school custodian as he tried to gain unauthorized entry to the school. As paranoid as school administrators are these days, did even one call 911?

Crickets.

They sure called the next day.

I understand your point, but the "bad people access" is being effectively used as justification for ending all access.

That's a reality. It is actually happening.

The "freedom isn't free" argument is not untrue, but it won't succeed in preserving the citizen right to arms. It is not a politically viable course of action.
You can stand on a stump and yell it for 20 years, but when you come off that stump, 2A will be long dead.

I feel like I come across as negative all the time.
But on the politically viable angle, it's just a game to them. They don't care what we vote for, at least here in Washington. Definitely for the last 4 or 5 years.
Single sentence example : $30 car tabs are the law .

Now, does that law matter?

I feel like I come across as negative all the time.
But on the politically viable angle, it's just a game to them. They don't care what we vote for, at least here in Washington. Definitely for the last 4 or 5 years.
Single sentence example : $30 car tabs are the law .

Now, does that law matter?
It matters to the folks who don't want to be ticketed for not having the car tab, so mission accomplished

I think there are quite a few people who want to infringement *on them* but want lots and lots of infringement on others *they* deem threatening to their own rights. To me it seems strange to say a guy who wants to wear a few knives, maybe just because he likes the look, is any more or less crazy than someone who finds enjoyment in killing animals and ripping their guts out as a pass time.
My suggestion is that the broader issue is neither about knife-guy or animal-killer. If I'm hearing you correctly, my response would be that the varmint-shooting issue is part of a broader dominion argument, which no one is making here, so it's a red herring here.

The issue here is an observation that a lot of people on this board who oppose any form of gun control are quick to marginalize other people based on appearance, and an excellent question was raised: not whether knifeguy was a nutjob, but whether many members on this board have a personal line they use to distinguish between who should have a gun and who shouldn't.

That personal issue is not actually a personal issue. It is a societal issue.

And only one side of the argument is in agreement: the left side.

The left side agrees that no one should have a gun.
The right side is in complete disagreement: no one can agree on anything.

Again, as i have mentioned in other threads, this is why the left always wins and the right always loses when it comes to the citizen right to arms.

In this thread, I thought some folks might like to talk about that.
We'll see.

My suggestion is that the broader issue is neither about knife-guy or animal-killer. If I'm hearing you correctly, my response would be that the varmint-shooting issue is part of a broader dominion argument, which no one is making here, so it's a red herring here.

The issue here is an observation that a lot of people on this board who oppose any form of gun control are quick to marginalize other people based on appearance, and an excellent question was raised: not whether knifeguy was a nutjob, but whether many members on this board have a personal line they use to distinguish between who should have a gun and who shouldn't.

That personal issue is not actually a personal issue. It is a societal issue.

And only one side of the argument is in agreement: the left side.

The left side agrees that no one should have a gun.
The right side is in complete disagreement: no one can agree on anything.

Again, as i have mentioned in other threads, this is why the left always wins and the right always loses when it comes to the citizen right to arms.

In this thread, I thought some folks might like to talk about that.
We'll see.
No, I don't think you quite understood what I was suggesting but that's fine.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top