JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have some gloves that are leather and they have extended cuffs that protect your forearms as well.

D0468BA5-0A38-4685-9543-36AC48596661.png

I recommend goats. Not goat gloves but real goats. We got some pygmies that ate down a quarter acre in a matter of days. They munch on the thorns and act like it's just a bite of something spicy. They ate down to the dried stalks and any new growth was eaten so fast it eventually killed the blackberry plants.

Picking those bushes for berries as a kid was horrible. We did the 12x12 plank walk. But oh my that sucked. We also had bamboo. We had to throw gas on that crap and burn it.

I posted a similar question on another gun forum and members there recommended a Wielding Glove, which is pretty thick and should be fine for working with Blackberry bushes.

Or, if you want something that is very tough and is armored: Ulta-Mittz Waterproof Safety

A little pricey but I think its worth it to avoid punctures on your hands.

Chokecherries (sp?) Also have wicked huge thorns. Used to pick them for mom who made awesome pancake syrup with them when we lived in Wyoming. I recommend full plate armor.

These days I just take my time, and cut every cane into 4" chunks and let it drop (to rot in the winter). Wrestling with long canes is for the younger fools. :)

I know that Asotin, Wa ( across the river from me) has used goats to clear acres of blackberries in recent years...seriously, goats love to eat the canes and can clear acres of bramble in just a couple of days. check for goat farms in your area.

On One acre of black berries 10' high I used a weed eater with metal edged (3) blades.
Then I used a riding lawnmower to windrow the vines then a tractor to scoop or bulldoze
the duff into the area I wanted them. Dirt below the vines only had algae on the bare ground. then sprayed with crossbow with red dye and surfactant. Twice. Still had them come up only to treat again. Fertilize seed and made a nice acre and a half horse pastue.
They sell the blades at Bi Mart but I needed to drill out to my mandrel size. When they bent I just hammered them flat again. And sharpened the edges. Took a month.

I know that Asotin, Wa ( across the river from me) has used goats to clear acres of blackberries in recent years...seriously, goats love to eat the canes and can clear acres of bramble in just a couple of days. check for goat farms in your area.

I've heard of folks that will actually rent out a couple of goats to take care of stuff like this.

We a bit of a blackberry problem in our backyard but I don't believe we can have goats grazing on blackberry bushes. Not much room in out backyard but my wife picks them, washes them and puts them on waffles and oatmeal, ice cream, etc. I wish there was way that we could have some blackberry bushes but they get out of control so easily.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top