JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
While driving? Sometimes.

While I'm out? Never.

I don't criticize anyone for it, except if they want to lose their gun. They aren't liable for it, just like they aren't liable if they leave their car running as they run into 7-11 and their car is stolen. It's still stolen, even if it's running and open.

It's the same if you find cash on the ground. I know that it's hard to believe, but yes.

The fact of the matter is...
...that I need a shoulder holster. I don't feel that the glove box is a safe place, especially if somebody is attacking you while you're in your car. If they catch you off guard, you're unlikely to have it ready fast enough if they have the jump on you. If they are armed, forget about it. Give them the car.

If you have a permit whats the need to have a weapon in the glove box. To me its irresponsible and just plain lazy. Your opinion may vary :D

1) Hard to draw a handgun from a holster when sitting in a car seat.
2) 2 guns is better than 1.
3) what about carrying to and from place where you aren't allowed to concealed carry like the courthouse?

1) Hard to draw a handgun from a holster when sitting in a car seat.
2) 2 guns is better than 1.
3) what about carrying to and from place where you aren't allowed to concealed carry like the courthouse?

Find yourself in the courthouse much :s0131: Two guns are better than one for sure. Carry one in such a way you can get to it while seated. Those that have bought pistol safes and mounted to vehicle I can see. Just not the glove box.

I have 2 reasons why I wouldn't leave a pistol in my glove box.

1. They're easy as **** to break into since they're plastic.

2. If you get pulled over, where do you usually leave your registration and insurance?

I for one wouldn't want to be shot because an officer, especially the over zealous Beaverton and Hillsboro police, because they thought that I was reaching for my pistol when I was getting my registration and insurance documentation. IMHO it would be better to get a lock box for under/side of your seat and bolt that down to the floor/frame.

Some of us dont have a choice. I work for a commie outfit that doesnt allow firearms. Gun stays in my car but sometimes I stop for dinner or something on the way home and I'm glad I have it.

It's not an ideal situation but it's the better than not having a gun.

Before reading this thread I thought leaving it in the glovebox was irresponsible, I was one of "those" people. After seeing the opinions on here I feel like I should start keeping one in my car. If somebody steals it that is because of their actions, they have no right to be taking my property if its in a locked vehicle. I did not introduce it into the supply stream, the criminal did.

However i really can't think of many instances where you would need to use a pistol from a vehicle. If you can turn and run from a situation you should and in a vehicle you "should" be able to drive away if your car is on. I can see being blocked in a parking spot or stuck in traffic but if in traffic why would you need a gun? who would be that crazy to try and assault/harm you in the middle of a traffic jam. You should try everything possible to remove yourself from the situation and in a car i see that happening more than on foot. Just my two cents

I have a friend that used keep his .45 in his truck (locked in a plastic center console), one night his truck was broken into. At first he was mortified since there was also a garage door opener which would allow access to his home as well as all his tools, 4 tricked out Banshees, etc. He became terrified when he had noticed they got into his console and realized not only did the tweaker criminals have access to his house where him, his wife and 2 kids were sleeping, they were now armed. That is enough to make me think twice about leaving a gun, or anything else that could be used against me in a car without it being locked in a safe. While it's true thieves and criminals are the ones responsible for what they do, I don't think that would have been much comfort if those tweakers had decided to go into my friends house that night. It's just too easy to carry my gun out of my car at night, or lock it up in the day, when I can't have it on me.

2. If you get pulled over, where do you usually leave your registration and insurance?

I forgot to mention this. I totally agree.

You don't need many. It only takes one.

Just one example.

Why did he stop?
Why did he exit the vehicle? (With family in the car)
He should have kept driving and called the police. Staying moving would be the overwhelmingly obvious thing to do.

People looking to brawl don't make things any better.

...Classy folks all around.

I have a friend that used keep his .45 in his truck (locked in a plastic center console), one night his truck was broken into. At first he was mortified since there was also a garage door opener which would allow access to his home as well as all his tools, 4 tricked out Banshees, etc. He became terrified when he had noticed they got into his console and realized not only did the tweaker criminals have access to his house where him, his wife and 2 kids were sleeping, they were now armed. That is enough to make me think twice about leaving a gun, or anything else that could be used against me in a car without it being locked in a safe. While it's true thieves and criminals are the ones responsible for what they do, I don't think that would have been much comfort if those tweakers had decided to go into my friends house that night. It's just too easy to carry my gun out of my car at night, or lock it up in the day, when I can't have it on me.

ok first off.. what year was this car, what kind of car was it.... did it have a good alarm? if your going to to keep valuable's in your vehicle then you need to take the precautions to keep it as secure as you can .... if you dont then your stupid to leave any thing of value in your car...

I have 2 reasons why I wouldn't leave a pistol in my glove box.

1. They're easy as **** to break into since they're plastic.

I for one wouldn't want to be shot because an officer, especially the over zealous Beaverton and Hillsboro police, because they thought that I was reaching for my pistol when I was getting my registration and insurance documentation. IMHO it would be better to get a lock box for under/side of your seat and bolt that down to the floor/frame.

Assuming you have your CHL if your keeping a loaded gun in your car, why cant you inform the officer you have a gun in your glove box... it would be the same as informing him you have a concealed weapon on your person.. its legal, so he cant punish you.... i guess i just dont see the point in your #2 reason... if you INFORM the officer the gun is there then there would be no reason for him to over react....

but I do agree with the idea of a lock box... i have one i bought for my car i just need to figure out a place to put it, where is wont be so visible,,
just my opinion tho

ok first off.. what year was this car, what kind of car was it.... did it have a good alarm? if your going to to keep valuable's in your vehicle then you need to take the precautions to keep it as secure as you can .... if you dont then your stupid to leave any thing of value in your car...

2004-ish, Dodge pickup, no alarm. I concur, don't leave anything in your vehicle you can't afford to lose. The thing he left in his pickup that he couldn't afford to lose was NOT his .45, it was the security of his family.

He doesn't have a locking door between his garage and his home? He does realize that you can change the code on a garage door opener in like 5 seconds...right?

He does have a locking door between his garage and house but figured the garage door opener being LOCKED in his truck was just as good. His wife worked night shift at the hospital and he worked early days, so the garage door opener allowed them both easy access to the home at all different hours. He wasn't necessarily disturbed that they would come back (he was ready then) only that on the night of the theft, he had left his family wide open to whatever the low lifes wanted to do, and he armed them to boot.

He does have a locking door between his garage and house but figured the garage door opener being LOCKED in his truck was just as good. His wife worked night shift at the hospital and he worked early days, so the garage door opener allowed them both easy access to the home at all different hours. He wasn't necessarily disturbed that they would come back (he was ready then) only that on the night of the theft, he had left his family wide open to whatever the low lifes wanted to do, and he armed them to boot.

If they were going to enter his home there are a lot easier and quieter ways to do it than opening the garage door.

That whole story is about the same hysteria level as being horrified to realize you have a home with a sliding patio door and a kitchen full of knives right next to it that a criminal could use against your family.

What's kept me from keeping a gun in the glove box is the concern any passenger can get in trouble if they don't have a CHL. I generally don't loan my car out to anyone but I do often have someone in the passenger seat. If I get pulled over and there's a gun in the glove box, of course the prudent thing to do would be to inform the officer prior to going into the glove box to present registration and proof of insurance. But could the passenger potentially be charged for carrying concealed without a license as the gun was concealed and accessible to them? I don't really know, but don't wanna take the chance either.

What's kept me from keeping a gun in the glove box is the concern any passenger can get in trouble if they don't have a CHL. I generally don't loan my car out to anyone but I do often have someone in the passenger seat. If I get pulled over and there's a gun in the glove box, of course the prudent thing to do would be to inform the officer prior to going into the glove box to present registration and proof of insurance. But could the passenger potentially be charged for carrying concealed without a license as the gun was concealed and accessible to them? I don't really know, but don't wanna take the chance either.
No, they cannot be charged as a passenger.

My reply may seem a bit harsh, but your moniker, Playboy, says it all. Vehicle theft is very common, car prowls more so. Why would you leave a firearm unattended in a place that has a good possibility of theft. I have more then one of those lockable steel boxes that can be attached to the vehicle and the weapon stored while having to visit a place that I cannot carry legally, courthouse etc. They are very inexpensive. I hope you just started this thread as a joke.:bash: Spad

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top