JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
There seems to be a lot of reluctance from some people to leave a gun in their glove box. There are also different reasons given for that reluctance. The one reason I can understand is the fear of loosing something for which you paid a large sum of money. The reason I cannot understand (and that burns my bottom a bit) is the idea that it is somehow "irresponsible" and that anyone who does it is somehow at fault if a criminal breaks in, gets their gun, and then uses it for foul deeds. That is just a ridiculous idea in my opinion. Yet I see people on gun forums wagging their fingers at other members all the time for leaving a gun in their vehicle.

In my car I have two levels of locks (door and glove box) and an active audible alarm system. Plus, it is under video monitoring when it is parked over night at home. That is at least equal to what I have at home. I also feel that home invaders are more likely to overcome security measures than car thieves since they have more time and privacy as a rule. I do not think leaving a gun out of sight in a locked vehicle is irresponsible. No more than leaving guns unattended at home.

I believe that as long as someone takes reasonable precautions they are not responsible for the actions of criminals. To act like they are somehow culpable in the crime for facilitating the actions of the criminal is laughable to me. I especially hate people who use the old " you just put a gun in the hands of criminals" line. That sounds like something straight out of the Brady handbook. SO, as long as a person is willing to accept the risk of financial loss I see no reason to look badly upon a person for leaving a gun in their glove box full time.

I decided a long time ago that I was not going to allow the remote chance that some unscrupulous person may take advantage of the situation prevent me from doing what was both convenient and practical for my daily life.

What does everyone else think regarding this topic?

I remember hearing some guy saying (can't remember if it was here or some other online gun place) that he used a tokarev for his glovebox gun. Seemed like a good one to me, they are very cheap so there is nothing to cry about if it gets stolen and 7.62x25 has excellent penetration if you need it to punch through the materials of a car.

What does everyone else think regarding this topic?

Recently I bought a safe for in car use.

Why?

My Jeep has already been broken into once. :mad: It's apparently pretty easy to pop the locks with a flat tip. :(

I know the glove box is no more sturdy.

This is a steel box, attached to the vehicle with a steel cable. It's certainly not invincible, but it's better than a plastic glove box.

My biggest concern has always been flying out for work. I didn't want to leave a gun in there with that track record. So I've always felt somewhat vulnerable on the way to and from the airport.

Now that I have the safe I just need to get to the Jeep to get in the safe, not all the way home. :s0155:

I believe that as long as someone takes reasonable precautions they are not responsible for the actions of criminals. To act like they are somehow culpable in the crime for facilitating the actions of the criminal is laughable to me. I especially hate people who use the old " you just put a gun in the hands of criminals" line. That sounds like something straight out of the Brady handbook. SO, as long as a person is willing to accept the risk of financial loss I see no reason to look badly upon a person for leaving a gun in their glove box full time.

+1 However, I feel strongly that this concept of being responsible if something is not locked up "enough" is a flawed and slippery slope.

The legal owner is 100% the victim of theft. The thief is 100% responsible for their crime. There can be no compromise or we all end up fighting over the gray area.

I'm by no means a lawyer, but if you leave someone in your car (for instance a friend who doesn't have a CHL) with the keys so that they have "access" to the loaded concealed handgun in the glovebox, can't they get in trouble?

An example would be if you had to drop by the store real quick to hit an ATM, and you left your friend in the car with the engine running/radio on.

I'm by no means a lawyer, but if you leave someone in your car (for instance a friend who doesn't have a CHL) with the keys so that they have "access" to the loaded concealed handgun in the glovebox, can't they get in trouble?

An example would be if you had to drop by the store real quick to hit an ATM, and you left your friend in the car with the engine running/radio on.

What kind of friends do you have that can't keep their hands to themselves for 2 minutes and get a cops attention while you're getting money from an ATM?

We can what-if all day.

#1) lock it in a glove box, put it somewhere that your buddy is not gonna be messing around with it.
#2) Tell you're friend there is a gun in your ride and to not mess around
#C) Don't hang out with people you don't trust with a weapon in your vehicle, tell em to get out and get your green backs with you cuz you need someone to hold your hand..... or something.

Yes loaning someone your car with your gun in it will cause an issue, it is not reccomended.

I'm not a laywer, I don't play one on tv, all opinions expressed here are purely my opinion and not legal advise, etc.... (standard CYA stuff here).

:huh:

If they're driving your car, they have the keys to the glove box. Unless you've gone and gotten the locks changed for just such occasions.

It is locked in the glove box and or trunk and not "readily accesable" which is acceptable according to Oregon law.

I think part of the problem is that the gun is loaded.

I mean... what would be the point of an unloaded glovebox gun, right?

I'd agree.

So I guess that leaves the option of either A. Not loaning your car to non CHL holders, or B. Using an alternate method to secure the gun, which isn't on your key chain when you hand it over.

Cars and gloveboxes don't offer much in the way of security. You can break a window and force open a glovebox in less than 30 seconds e.g. YouTube - Car broken into, Garmin GPS stolen - caught on CCTV

I can't see any combination of loaded/unloaded gun and locked/unlocked glovebox which meets both the criteria of quick access for self defense without putting passengers in jeopardy of a firearms violation under RCW 9.41.050.

I had a cheap pistol stolen from my truck once. I felt bad about it. But not very bad. An anti-gunner would criticize me for "allowing a gun into the criminal supply stream." Well, tough. I was protecting my skin, and had already been followed back to my truck twice by evil-doers, and my attitude change once I got the door open made them disappear. You see, I worked for a very strict employer in Portland's "Old Town" and had to park at the train station lot, coming and going at three AM! I was subject to search on the job so I had to leave the gun in the truck. It was very well hidden, but they had hours to work with and found it.

When I reported the theft to the police the clerk was actually sympathetic, not critical at all. The police are sometimes completely understanding! Oddly enough, I got that pistol back years later when some punk got arrested with it, adding to his sentence. I don't worry what evil he did with it while he had it; that was him, not me.

Recently, even though I now have gotten secured parking, somebody broke the door and got in, then got into my truck, among others. They took a lot of small things, but did not have enough time to find the gun this time. Yes, there will always be a cheap pistol hidden in my truck. It's MY skin..........................elsullo :cool:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top