JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
I give credit to people who suspect they may not be smart enough to keep a gun without a real safety around-
Yes but -- should people who don't know this basic fact about a Glock be allowed to buy one? After all, it is a lethal weapon.

Over the years I've bought a lot of guns I don't have anymore. Same thing with cars and motorcycles. With out a doubt with every purchase I knew what I was getting. Somewhere along the line they lost their luster and on down the road they went. It might have been financial, or I got boored with it or whatever. I might have broke even on some deals and lost money on others. Money's not that important to me. It's just a way to get stuff. I like stuff. More money, more stuff, less money less stuff. As far as Glocks lack of a safety, why isn't not carrying a round in the chamber and slingshoting the slide when ready to shoot a thing? When I was in the Navy doing roving patrols on board that's how we'd carry our 1911's. It worked well for me being left handed. Now days I have a few semi auto magics and carry them all that way. I don't have to hunt for a button, switch or lever. It's as simple as round in the chamber gun ready to shoot, round out of the chamber gun is safe.
As to guns coming and going, this has also been my pattern. Some favorites I've had for many years. But hundreds have come and gone. I did a little spread sheet (my version: lined legal yellow pad) that only covers the past 15 years or so, I came out ahead a bit. But there were losers and gainers in there.

In the pistols I've kept, I've got a Glock, a couple of 1911's, a Walter P.38, Smith & Wesson Mod. 59, etc. I never think about the lack of safety on the Glock. Because like oremike, I don't keep a round chambered. Simplest way in the world to keep a gun from going off when you don't want it to, and that's pretty near all the time your finger isn't on or poised near the trigger. I figure if I don't have time to rack the slide, they've got me anyway. Like from behind or whatever. And I don't worry about the round jamming when I rack the slide because I won't have guns (or bullet designs) that are unreliable in that way.

Thinking about newbies and loaded chambers, it might just be that they are afraid they won't think to rack the slide if and when the need arises. Simply because of their lack of familiarization with such firearms. Whereas those of us who have had firearms in their lives for many years, it just comes as second nature. We do it without giving it any thought.

As to my opinion of the Glock "safety trigger." I'm not sure it's quite as fool-proof as Gaston would have us believe. Yes, it takes engagement of two separate triggering devices. But I'd think that if someone got a long, narrow object stuck inside the trigger guard where it wasn't supposed to be, it would be possible for it to accidentally discharge. This scenario isn't likely if the proper kind of holster is in use, like the police use. In the hands of newbies, not so much.

No there is really nothing really remarkable about it other then it is new and pristine..
If the value would be seriously compromised by shooting it I can understand NOT shooting it, but if not then blaze away!

Hey, several years ago I traded for a 1967 'Buffalo Bill' Commemorative Winchester Mod 94 and it gets shot regularly as it's 'Commemorative' status means nothing - and its a GREAT shooter and very accurate! A subsequent 1966 100 year Commemorative I own is in the same category and is shot regularly as well!

There are no doubt some guns should never be shot but I think that would be very selective based on the particular gun and the provenance attached to it.

Hey, several years ago I traded for a 1967 'Buffalo Bill' Commemorative Winchester Mod 94 and it gets shot regularly as it's 'Commemorative' status means nothing - and its a GREAT shooter and very accurate! A subsequent 1966 100 year Commemorative I own is in the same category and is shot regularly as well!
I think the 60/70/s commemorative Winchesters are hokier than grandmas mini plate collection that was hanging down the hallway walls that we turned into skeet saucers and blasted with our hokie lever actions. We missed 98% of them and the ones we missed didn't survive the landing. Shootem if you gottem! :D

Well, I appreciate the link and can honestly say I will not do anything more than 'skim' over it however I still ask my original question, 'Is there something 'special' about a 'Blackwater' version (other than it not being 'available' anymore) that makes it something you should not shoot?'

Personally I don't see anything particularly special about the name 'Blackwater', or anything connected to Eric Prince that might render any particular gun so valuable as to not shoot it.
It is all spelled out in the article but in short, it was the precursor to the current TACOPS line, which is apparently very popular.

Last Edited:
I think the 60/70/s commemorative Winchesters are hokier than grandmas mini plate collection that was hanging down the hallway walls that we turned into skeet saucers and blasted with our hokie lever actions.
I agree with you on some of them however others are pretty 'sedate' and not overly adorned and fairly basic.

Ever seen any of the 'tribute' rifles Henry is making ? Most Winchesters' commemoratives pale in caparison to them.

Quick follow up to my #103 post. When grandma had dementia really bad she would ask about where those damn plates went every 5 minutes. My cousin came up with the brilliant idea that a bunch of us should sit down and crayon color some Dixie paper plates and thumb tack them up in the hallway. She never asked about the missing plates again. 🤣

Last Edited:
I got into those 200th year of Freedom Rugers until I found out all it took was one part to have been made in 1976 for them to call them 200th year guns. I had probablly 5 or 6 so marked but when checking the serial number not one was a 1976 year.

A collector would beg to differ, it a snap shot in time
But what supports any 'collector' value?

It's 'snapshot in time' wasn't a particularly popular 'time' and to just 'label' a gun with the name 'Blackwater Edition' doesn't really mean much except to the wild eyed 'fanboys' who might have 'idolized' Blackwater and whatever they did but it seems the end results weren't anything noteworthy or of any 'Historical' interest.

Did any one catch the story about how Eric Prince offered to evac any Americans out of Afghanistan for the price of $6500 per? Kind of a sleazy approach in a time of desperation and it was shut down pretty quickly.

But what supports any 'collector' value?

It's 'snapshot in time' wasn't a particularly popular 'time' and to just 'label' a gun with the name 'Blackwater Edition' doesn't really mean much except to the wild eyed 'fanboys' who might have 'idolized' Blackwater and whatever they did but it seems the end results weren't anything noteworthy or of any 'Historical' interest.

Did any one catch the story about how Eric Prince offered to evac any Americans out of Afghanistan for the price of $6500 per? Kind of a sleazy approach in a time of desperation and it was shut down pretty quickly.
From the article I linked...

Because of their brief and storied history, Blackwater Edition SIG pistols (as well as the wood and polymer Blackwater grips for the P226 and 1911) tend to fetch higher-than-averge prices whenever they pop up for sale, which seems to be less and less these days. In February 2013, I saw a set of P226 Blackwater plastic magwell grips sell for $120 on eBay, and as of the day of this article, there's currently a set of Blackwater P226 wood grips on eBay with a starting price of $200. Yes… that's for just the grips. Scandal sells, my friends.

Yes but -- should people who don't know this basic fact about a Glock be allowed to buy one? After all, it is a lethal weapon.

As to guns coming and going, this has also been my pattern. Some favorites I've had for many years. But hundreds have come and gone. I did a little spread sheet (my version: lined legal yellow pad) that only covers the past 15 years or so, I came out ahead a bit. But there were losers and gainers in there.

In the pistols I've kept, I've got a Glock, a couple of 1911's, a Walter P.38, Smith & Wesson Mod. 59, etc. I never think about the lack of safety on the Glock. Because like oremike, I don't keep a round chambered. Simplest way in the world to keep a gun from going off when you don't want it to, and that's pretty near all the time your finger isn't on or poised near the trigger. I figure if I don't have time to rack the slide, they've got me anyway. Like from behind or whatever. And I don't worry about the round jamming when I rack the slide because I won't have guns (or bullet designs) that are unreliable in that way.

Thinking about newbies and loaded chambers, it might just be that they are afraid they won't think to rack the slide if and when the need arises. Simply because of their lack of familiarization with such firearms. Whereas those of us who have had firearms in their lives for many years, it just comes as second nature. We do it without giving it any thought.

As to my opinion of the Glock "safety trigger." I'm not sure it's quite as fool-proof as Gaston would have us believe. Yes, it takes engagement of two separate triggering devices. But I'd think that if someone got a long, narrow object stuck inside the trigger guard where it wasn't supposed to be, it would be possible for it to accidentally discharge. This scenario isn't likely if the proper kind of holster is in use, like the police use. In the hands of newbies, not so much.
I'm sure as mentioned these gun noobs were hard up for something, anything & simply had some buyer remorse later on--most everybody on here has traded up on our guns.

I rarely sell anything but when I bought an STI, I got rid of most of my Para 1911's just like when I bought my first American Derringer I got rid of my Bond Arms derringers

While I do not like Glock I am really super leery of people who want a gun for the home and feel the lack of a safety is a problem for a house gun. Now if they want to carry? That is a whole different kettle so to speak. For at home if they can't be safe handling the gun they need more training. Or maybe one of those Microsoft guns. The one where when you pull the trigger it asked you "are you sure you want to do this?" :D
I think there will be a lot more accidents in coming years as people who think with their feelings learn the hard way about guns but I believe these people have the same freedom to own a gun as I do.

People learn the hard way when they sell their cars to the used car guy & when they need $$ at the pawn shop just as when they get took at the gun store-- there's no patent on getting ripped off, lots of unscrupulous people out there trying to rip folks off

People who don't know anything about Glocks buy them everyday--if moar guns equals less crime then bring on moar guns

Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads