JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK, I installed a 3.5lb pull trigger pull connector on my G19. Better, but I would still like it a little lighter. Not a lot, but a little (shooting for 2.5-3lb pull). Are there any other things I can do my self to lighten it up a bit?

Is this your carry gun? If it is, I'd recommend putting the stock parts back in and learning to shoot the trigger pull it left the factory with. Its much easier to defend in court should you ever have to use it.

If its a competition gun, then the internals can use a bit of fluff and buff. I'd probably recommend taking it to a gunsmith (or at least a Glock armorer). He probably won't lighten it much more than what it is, but might be able to smooth things up.

Try to remember that as much as Glock would like to pretend with their long slide models, the ideal use for a Glock is in a cop's holster (or CHL holster), not on a competition range. It was never meant to have the trigger pull of a 1911 competition gun. Just my two cents worth.

Be careful how much you fluff and buff the internals, I had one go Glock 18 on me by doing that...

Like I said, take it to a gunsmith. I do not practice medicine on myself (beyond aspirin), I do not try to fix my own car (I'm not a mechanic), I do not do my own taxes (I'm not an accountant). There are professionals for a reason. Expertise and accountability. If something goes pear-shaped, I'd rather fall back on my mechanic's warranty, my doctor's expertise, or my accountant handling an audit.

Same with gun work. We can all clean our guns (even thought some don't). Some of you are even mechanically inclined enough to be able to install "drop-in" parts and kits. But gunsmithing work should be done by an actual gunsmith.

I actually am a gunsmith, but am not working in a shop right now, so these words are not being said just to make myself money.

Listen to mnt. Bear!!! Especially if a carry gun. For defense the simpler you keep things the better off you are.

Terryl there is to much to explain here about your situation. Thereare many factors to consider when carrying a fully tricked out gun for defense.

I am a Millwright by trade.
I fix my own car, and anything else that breaks in my home. I do my own taxes with a little help from H&R Block :p And have not been to a Dr. other than serious injury in better than 10yrs, and I feel fine;)
I mean no offense, just pointing out that you & I live VERY different lives, and have very different skill sets. In my world for the most part, I AM the warranty. So I guess I look at improving my gun a little differently.
I realize that my Glock is neither a competition 1911, or a long range shooter. But anything I can do to keep my bullets on there intended target, be it improving my own skill, or improving my side arm, I will.

I was looking at the way it operates and felt that to much smoothing and buffing could quite possibly make it go full auto:s0131: So I am a bit reluctant to do to much of that. I was simply wondering if a lighter spring, or other parts could be changed out to help it just a bit more. If not I will simply practice with the pull it has now and get better:)

I wasn't meaning to insinuate that you were incapable of fixing things. I look at guns like this. If I am involved in a shooting, the police will confiscate my gun. The gun will be presented to a grand jury. The overzealous DA will look at everything done to the gun. He will look to see if it is bone stock, or if its had work done to it. If its had work done to it, he'll look to see by whom. If it wasn't a trained gunsmith, he'll use that. He'll ask why you thought you knew more about the operation of the gun than the engineers who designed it. He'll ask why you wanted a lighter trigger pull. When you tell him its to control your shot placement (which we mean to say, we can actually hit our target and therefore be safer) he'll insinuate that you wanted to be cruel and shoot to injure. Anything he can bring up he will. And you'll spend $$$$ trying to defend yourself. And God willing, you'll win, but either way, you lose.
The less ammunition (no pun intended) you give to an overzealous DA, the better. Thats why I don't carry my custom guns if I can help it. Thats why I don't carry "race" guns, etc. If I had my druthers, I'd carry a DAO semi-auto or revolver that had never seen the inside of a gunsmiths shop (even my own). Like I said, just my two-cents. Its your life, its your gun. Do what you will.

I've heard this discussed a lot and I've always been kinda curious, has anyone seen a court case report where this particular subject has come into play? Not exactly taking a side in this debate, I consider it the same difference as carrying chambered or not, its your safety net, its your choice.
Just curious.

I see your point, but what about this? I got this gun 2nd hand, and it is my 1st Glock. If this had been done to my gun BEFORE I got it, I would have no idea that it had been done. So would I still be under the same scrutiny by the DA? There is no proof that I am the one that did the mod. so how can that be used against me? If that were the case, the only clean shootings would be with a gun that was bought new, and shot by the original owner, and was never listed as being in 'smiths shop.
Just trying to get my head around this is all. I do realize that a prosecutor will use ANY THING they can to make the shooting look bad. I just feel that if I end up in court, it will cost me an arm and a leg any way, I would think that even a 1st year law student should be able to handle an argument like that.
If not...............I don't think that ANY shooting could be made justifiable in court.:(
WOW! I'm not sure we are any where near my OQ any more:s0114: But I think it's good conversation any way:s0155:

Listen to mnt. Bear!!! Especially if a carry gun. For defense the simpler you keep things the better off you are.

Terryl there is to much to explain here about your situation. Thereare many factors to consider when carrying a fully tricked out gun for defense.

I understand what your saying, but lets take the gun out of the equation. I grew up as an army brat to a Sgt-Mgr. I have been trained by him sense I was old enough to walk. Have taken hand-to-hand combat and self defence classes sense I can remember (Kung-fu, karate, Tae-Kwon-Do, etc) as well as CQB, tactical and home defence handgun, tactical shotgun training.

So with what I already know, I could beat someone with my the asp that I also carry and still be in as much trouble as carrying my "trick" handgun! Or so I have been told by a couple law enforcement friends of mine. :huh:

Just my personal opinion, but if I wound up in front of a jury over an issue like this, it seems like it'd really come down to spin. I wouldn't advise lying about it, just put it in a different light. Do you perform regular brake maintenance on your vehicle? Do you make sure that you've got good seat belts, get the smoke alarm that does carbon monoxide too? Same thing, I simply went to the 'smith to ensure the tool I carry for my safety is tip top.

And as for OQ, check to make sure all the parts are free of burs and other manufacturing leftovers, and give 'er a proper break in with a bunch of trigger time (aw schucks, who wants to do that!) and see if that helps out.

I think the DA would probably argue that you should have had the gun checked over before carrying it. I don't think it's a valid argument they would make. I don't think the gun matters. If it's a clean shoot, it's a clean shoot. Period. But someone who wants to make a name by "stopping handgun violence" will make every argument possible. I simply want to make their job as difficult as possible.
As for the cases specifically, I have heard of several regarding light trigger pulls in regards to DA vs. SA revolvers. Specifically, officers or individuals who cocked DA/SA revolvers and then had the guns go off. It would carry over to a lightened trigger pull on any gun. The DA would argue that your gun had such a light trigger pull that it accidentally went off and maybe you're lying about what the "poor victim" did to threaten you. Sad that a DA would do stupid crap like this, but they have and will.

My carry gun by the way is a bone-stock S&W 1911. I have done no trigger work to it at all. I carry it cocked and locked, but not chambered (personal choice). I more often than not carry it in a shoulder holster (not the quickest to access). I have to be exceptionally deliberate if I ever use it. I have to access it from an awkward holster (no "quick draw"), rack the slide, engage at least three safeties (its a series 80, as are all S&W 1911's), and pull the trigger. If I ever have to shoot someone (God forbid), its a significant process to get it done.

Just my personal opinion, but if I wound up in front of a jury over an issue like this, it seems like it'd really come down to spin. I wouldn't advise lying about it, just put it in a different light. Do you perform regular brake maintenance on your vehicle? Do you make sure that you've got good seat belts, get the smoke alarm that does carbon monoxide too? Same thing, I simply went to the 'smith to ensure the tool I carry for my safety is tip top.

And as for OQ, check to make sure all the parts are free of burs and other manufacturing leftovers, and give 'er a proper break in with a bunch of trigger time (aw schucks, who wants to do that!) and see if that helps out.

Yes, it would come down to spin, but there are no winners if it gets taken to trial. Even if you are found not guilty, chances are you are significantly broker, mayhaps have lost your job, family and friends may have distanced themselves from you. Yeah, you may spin it and win, but why not do everything possible to make sure it never gets past a grand jury?

That's what I was thinking as well. Any special lubricant to use on the parts in question to help with the break-in processes?

PS:
If a mod. wants to move this to another section I understand, feel free.

Yes, it would come down to spin, but there are no winners if it gets taken to trial. Even if you are found not guilty, chances are you are significantly broker, mayhaps have lost your job, family and friends may have distanced themselves from you. Yeah, you may spin it and win, but why not do everything possible to make sure it never gets past a grand jury?

Again, that's where it all comes down to choice, those are significant risks and should definitely be addressed and considered in the manner we're doing now. What it all comes down to is which you're more concerned with, if you feel the improvements made to your firearm will give you a better chance of success in a bad situation, enough to justify additional legal risks, make the call. I think all of these things are more likely to come up during a trial for a questionable shoot, but again, its all a matter of values assigned. I carry a mechanically unmodified firearm, if the trigger got in the way of my making effective shots, I would certainly have the issue addressed.

Durango, I've never used any real special lubricants for break in, just a light oil, a couple of buddies and a great excuse for a fun weekend or two :s0155:

Why would that be a good solution?
Give up over 1/2 of my capacity to go to a heavier, bigger, and possibly less reliable gun just in an effort to get a better trigger pull? I have not felt a stock trigger pull on a 1911 that was all that great either.
I am not trying to start a fight here, just don't understand why a question about a Glock is met with answers of a 1911.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top