Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Glock + suppressor question

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by PapaTony, Jan 26, 2011.

1. PapaTony

PapaTony Yamhill County, Oregon Member

I recently purchased a .40cal to 9mm threaded conversion barrel for my Glock 23 and was wondering if I need to buy something else to make a suppressor work? Is there enough pressure with a sub-sonic 9mm to cycle?

Just trying to budget. The suppressor is pricey enough!!

Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  2. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

When buying a silencer make sure you buy one that is compatible with your gun. There is a 99.9% chance that you will need a can with a "booster" commonly called an LCD. Most makers have a can or at least an option for an LCD. Also it will depend on your SS load. If you are buying off the shelf (loaded ammo) SS ammo your gun should work with any. If you are handloading you will need a combo that will work in your gun.

Example is I have a nice 115gr SS load that runs great in my integral AR, but will not cycle my G34. I tried some 124gr bullets which functioned better but still not 100% so I stepped up to 147gr bullet and no problems now.

DSC_0010.jpg

3. oregonshooter

oregonshooter AMERICA Member

I've got a Trident 9 with LCD for my G17 and needed to go to 147gr in Subsonic to get it to cycle most of the time. My next move is to a 15lb recoil spring.

4. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

think there may be an issue depending on the weight of the can. I recall seeing some can designs that used a Nielsen device to ensure the Glocks and some others will cycle.

5. PapaTony

PapaTony Yamhill County, Oregon Member

Thanks for all the repsonse!!

6. cyclesarge

cyclesarge Eugene OR, DUH! We're ALL in the NORTHWEST Well-Known Member

I'm running a suppressor (Trident 9) on my XD40 with a 9mm conversion barrel. Everyone said I'd need a lighter spring but so far it's been 100% running Winchester Super X 147gr ($12 a box at the gun shows) and WWB 147gr JHP ($18 a box at WalMart, when they have it). I believe what works for one setup may or may not work on the next. I need to try some more personal protection type ammo to see if it stays subsonic as well.

7. iamme

iamme Lane County Well-Known Member

My Trident9 has been good on a 19, 17 and 34.