JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a glock 19 and I was wondering if I could put the sub compact 40 s&w barrel and mag in it would it work as if it was a sub compact 40? And if so is it safe? And could I do this to make my glock shoot any caliber as long as I had a mag and the sub compact barrel of the caliber I wanted to shoot?

Last Edited:
I'm assuming by "sub-compact" you mean Glock's compact models... As a SC (G26/27/33) barrel won't fit in a compact gun (G19/23/32).

With a G19 your stuck on 9mm only.

If you had a Glock 23, you could put a G19 barrel and mag in it and it would work. You can also drop in a G32 .357Sig barrel into a G23, but you can still use your G23 mags as the case diameter is the same for .357Sig....

The ejector for the .40 is different than the 9mm. One is straight the other bent. If you were to change the ejector also, then you could make the swap. Actually I'm not 100% sure the extractor is the same between the two either. I think they are, bu I'd have to double check to be certain, and my armorer manual is at work.

You can not cal swap that direction 9-.40. It works great the other way, one of the reasons the .40 glocks are a nice deal; you can launch .40, .357 sig, 9mm and .22 with a conversion kit.

However, if I could only have one Glock, it would be the 19 great pistol, I have one with some 50k rounds through it with nary a problem. You can't go wrong with the 19; cheap to shoot and 15 rds available.

If you had a Glock 23, you could put a G19 barrel and mag in it and it would work. You can also drop in a G32 .357Sig barrel into a G23, but you can still use your G23 mags as the case diameter is the same for .357Sig....

Mags, yes, barrels, no; you need to use conversion barrels to go from 40 - 9 in a G23; the chamber hood sizes are different and you cannot interchange a G19 and G23 barrels in a G23. I believe this is the same issue for the 357 Sig. As Nick notes, though, you cannot go from 9 - 40 or 9 - 357 Sig in a G19.

Mags, yes, barrels, no; you need to use conversion barrels to go from 40 - 9 in a G23; the chamber hood sizes are different and you cannot interchange a G19 and G23 barrels in a G23. I believe this is the same issue for the 357 Sig. As Nick notes, though, you cannot go from 9 - 40 or 9 - 357 Sig in a G19.

Yeah, that's what I meant. :p Lone Wolf has all this crap.

Glocks are easily modified from one caliber to another. As long as you are going to a smaller caliber than the slide of the original gun is made for. The reason is the hole in the slide for the barrel is small for the 9mm, the larger caliber slides have a larger hole, thus when you buy the lesser caliber barrel the thickness of the barrel is increased to allow the barrel to fit in the slide with a larger caliber hole.
IE:
The 45cal can be changed to: .40, .357, & 9mm.
The .40cal can be .357, & 9mm
The reason I don't mention the 10mm is that is a .40 on steroids, and it takes more modifications than just a barrel switch.
The .357 is a .40 cal case necked down to 9mm. Thus more powder less projectile.

Unfortunately you can not make a 9mm a .40 or larger, without buying a new slide, and all of the guts for it. This will run you about $400.00 without sights.
At this price you are better off to go buy a new gun, with sights on it, pair of mags, and case. Then you can down size it to a lesser caliber with just the simple modifications: barrel, depending extractor, ejector, and mags.

Lone Wolf Distributors has all the parts for these down sizing modification: Lone Wolf Distributors - Main Page

Feel free to pm me if you have questions.

Mike

The .357 is a .40 cal case necked down to 9mm. Thus more powder less projectile.

Mike
In theory yes, but the case length is very slightly different. Using a necked down .40 leaves very little of the bullet held by the case. People do it, but it's not correct. The bullet can be pushed into the case and raise the pressure to "kaboom" levels just by recoil alone.

Yes, I know, it's done all the time. I bought a case of reloads at a gun show years ago before I knew the difference. Some cases are .40's and I have shot some of them with no trouble. But if you actually read the reloading manuals and check a necked down .40 with calipers you will find the difference. :s0049:

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews