Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Glock Parts To Bring To Training

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by RangerEric, Oct 2, 2015.

1. RangerEric

RangerEric Southern Oregon, United States Active Member

Hey guys -

Hoping to pick your collective brains about spare parts. In about a month I'm going to be attending a week long firearm training and qualification for work. I'm told to expect to shoot upwards of 2k rounds in the week, possibly more even.

I'm going to be shooting an older Gen 3 Glock 21. Exact round count unknown, somewhere between 2-3k probably. So, the potential exists for my gun to be hitting the 5k lifetime round count while I'm doing my firearms week, which I know is an interval that some maintenance is sometimes recommended. I am cautiously optimistic that there will be an armorer available as needed, but I don't want to rely on that. What parts failures/maintenance should I be thinking about planning in advance for?

I'd hoped to just acquire a second matching G21 to bring as a backup gun, but I'm not sure I'll be able to make that happen before my training week, and I'd hate to blow out an extractor or something and be SOL for the week.

I'm certainly going to get a recoil spring to bring with me, but what else should I be thinking about? Would you guys go through Glock to get OEM parts, an alternative source for OEM parts, or be thinking about any aftermarket parts? (I do want to keep the gun as close to it's stock format as possible, not looking for any fancy replacement triggers or anything.) Thanks in advance for any thoughts anyone has!

2. pdxcat

pdxcat Sellwood Active Member

I would hop on glockmeister to buy glock original parts. I had great service with them.

3. pdxcat

I don't think you will need anything, but if you want to be 100 sure, I would buy a set of springs, (striker, safety plunger, trigger, and recoil assembly) a trigger housing with ejector, and maybe a replacement trigger group.

4. RangerEric

Thanks for the input. What do you think is the best source for those parts?

5. pdxcat

Glockmeister.com

6. RangerEric

Oh, I didn't see your first post for some reason, sorry! Awesome, thank you for the info and the link!

7. pdxcat

You bet. I really doubt you will need parts, but I like to keep a few essentials in stock for my pistols as well. Mostly keep your gun reasonably clean and lubricated if possible. I would keep a silicon rag, oil and a bore snake handy to take care of your gun between sessions.

8. RangerEric

Yeah, I doubt I'd have any problems, but it would be a real bummer to have a critical failure on day 2 and miss out on the training. I figure it's not a bad plan to have the parts on hand for when they do eventually become necessary anyway. I'll definitely be bringing my cleaning kit.

9. pdxcat

I would do the same!!!! Enjoy your training!

10. RangerEric

Thanks man!

11. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

12. timac

timac Loading Magazines! Well-Known Member

I always take 2 guns, set up exactly the same. Two is one and one is none.

13. RangerEric

Yeah, that would be my preferred solution by far. But unless somebody wants to buy my G42 or my Ranch Hand in the classifieds by then,
    I'm not sure I can make that happen!

14. cooperdh

cooperdh People's Republic of PDX Active Member

It's a Glock. Aside from a recoil spring and mag springs, you should be fine. You can't purchase certain parts from Glock unless you are a certified armorer so I would look elsewhere. As an armorer and firearms instructor, I rarely see parts break on a Glock. Malfunctions are usually attributed to the recoil spring and/or mag springs.

15. RangerEric

Good to know, thanks CooperDH.

16. JDAVIS

JDAVIS washington co. Member

another option is lonewolf. they are good people to work with and just over in idaho. helped me get some parts in time for a shoot i had a month ago

17. NWGlockgal

NWGlockgal Oregon Well-Known Member

I have at least 7000 rounds through my G19 and the only thing I have ever done to it is change the
    recoil spring. If you have that, you are good to go.
    Enjoy the training!

18. 9by19

9by19 New Member

http://www.rockyourglock.com/ is another excellent source for glock parts.
    As far as parts to take with you, I'd vote for : a spare trigger spring, slide lock spring, extractor and recoil spring assembly.

19. RicInOR

RicInOR Washington County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Do you have anything on the pistol which did not come from the factory?
    ex Sights?

IF so, bring spares of those. If Fibre Optic, bring spares for the spares :)

And some tools and a "roll / mat " to work on, beyond your clean kit.

Someone mentioned a mag spring +1
    If you think the training will have you dumping mags on the ground, spare mags, and a way to clean yours - baby brush - what ever you normally use.

Have fun!

20. Pandaz3

Pandaz3 Cornelius, Oregon NRA Lifetime Member Platinum Supporter Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter

I have gone to Front Sight in Pahrump, Nevada and they have a armorer on duty and ALL the Glock spare parts. I am sure Gunsite does to, but some smaller organizations might not,

All guns break, even Glock Perfection. (I am a reformed Glock hater, because other guns break to) But like was mentioned a complete set of springs. I believe the chintzy trigger spring more problematic than the recoil spring. I intend to get a New York #2 as a spare.