JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well if the GLOCK needs a manual safety then I guess we'd better get busy retro fitting all the revolvers in the world with one as well because they are just as "unsafe" as a GLOCK...the only difference is a GLOCK uses a magazine rather than a cylinder. When you think about it...a GLOCK is nothing more than a bottom feeding Revolver sans the cylinder. Essentially GLOCK took the same basic principle and made it more effective than a revolver. I don't recall ever hearing anyone indicating a revolver (double action or single) ever needing a mechanical manual safety?

A GLOCK has three passive safeties (trigger, firing pin and drop safety) and most modern Revolvers have one (older revolvers prior to the Ruger Transfer Bar had none) which conventional wisdom dictated one would carried the revolver on an empty cylinder unless you're about to go into harms way.

Well said. I have never understood why anyone would need an extra external safety. Do you really not trust yourself to keep your finger off the trigger that much?

A Glock carried in a proper holster is as safe as any other pistol could be. As long as we are obeying the basic rules of gun handling there is absolutely no need for a safety.

I had the siderlock installed on my 26 carry gun at the Eugene gun show , got the original trigger back ( undamaged ) and he installed it for my lefty affliction .I have a total of seven Glocks and this is the only one I have done this with. For someone to belittle or talk down to anyone that is attempting to carry as safely and worry free as possible is juvenile. If it gives me the warm and fuzzy to have a trigger lock on my carry gun then your opinion is meaningless . Stick to helpful input without the attitude. I don't think I will install the safety on my other guns as they are not my daily carry . Good luck with whatever you decide.I would , however caution you to have the safety installed by a qualified person , it looked a little intimidating to me.

First off id like to thank DERGLOCKINMEISTER for his post... I also didnt really think Id get criticized So much for wanting an external safety on my handgun. But it does give me that Warm fuzzy feeling knowing i have a safety i can personally take on and off. it makes me feel safer personally. Not because i dont trust myself with, but because i like knowing i have that extra little bit of security. One never knows there could be that time your gun SOMEHOW ends up in someone else's hand, in some stupid scenario but it could happen and that extra safety could give you time to react, whether it being you pulling out a back up you have or give you time to run.

Maybe this would never EVER happen, but I like to think of the worst possible case, and if it were to happen to me what would i do. I'm no Jet Li, i cant kill someone with my hands. So I FEEL better having a manual safety Glock or not. Anygun I want one.. If that makes me a lesser man then you then ok. Its what makes me feel safer not you. And that's what matters :s0155:

Well said. I have never understood why anyone would need an extra external safety. Do you really not trust yourself to keep your finger off the trigger that much?

A Glock carried in a proper holster is as safe as any other pistol could be. As long as we are obeying the basic rules of gun handling there is absolutely no need for a safety.

And I trust my driving so why wear a seat belt? As long as we are obeying the basic rules of the road there is absolutely no need for a seat belt. Right?

And I trust my driving so why wear a seat belt? As long as we are obeying the basic rules of the road there is absolutely no need for a seat belt. Right?

This is not exactly the same. You are in control of your weapon in almost every possible scenario. On public roads, you are constantly in danger of everyone else being inattentive. Your gun is your safety belt, train well and keep it simple.

Please don't think I'm trying to bash you for wanting a safety. I do appreciate your concern about preventing an unintended discharge. My feeling is that the Glock (and others with similar actions) are designed to be as straightforward and simple as possible which allows a quick deploy under extreme stress.

Fine motor skills will leave you under extreme pressure. I'd hate for the day to come when you need it and are unable to disable the trigger safety in time.

These are all just my opinions and observations. It's good to have a civil conversation about the good and bad.

Ha,ha. Glocks have a lot of accidental discharges. Nothing wrong with a safety, like on a 1911. In fact if the Glock had a safety on it like the 1911, High Power I would have one. I sold my Glock because it did not have a safety and I was limited to where and how I could carry it. That is because I used my brain to decide it was not the viable pistol for me. A Glock has no safety, that Madison Avenue Safe trigger is a joke, it is just a lite pull trigger. Nuff said.Spad

Ha,ha. Glocks have a lot of accidental discharges. Nothing wrong with a safety, like on a 1911. In fact if the Glock had a safety on it like the 1911, High Power I would have one. I sold my Glock because it did not have a safety and I was limited to where and how I could carry it. That is because I used my brain to decide it was not the viable pistol for me. A Glock has no safety, that Madison Avenue Safe trigger is a joke, it is just a lite pull trigger. Nuff said.Spad

I'm sorry, how exactly have Glocks had accidental discharges? By accidental discharge do you mean someone was walking around with his finger on the trigger and accidentally pulled it? Don't blame the gun when the user obviously has no business handling a loaded firearm.

edit: It scares me that no safety limits the way you can carry. How exactly are you carrying? Is the gun tucked into your waist band?

Big, big difference between the trigger pull on a revolver and a Glock. I happen to like the trigger on the Glock, but like I say, alas no safety. I can see no use arguing the point. I carry a lot of times in my front cargo pants pocket when not using a IWB holster. Alternate between a Taurus PT111 with Glock like trigger, with a safety, and one of my Sigs. Sig long ago recognized the danger of a decock with no safety so increased the weight of the trigger pull on the first round, more revolver like. For years I carried a Colt Combat Commander, cocked and locked. The foregoing thoughts&posts on Glock safety I consider not to well thought out to put it mildly, much retoric. Good Night.Spad

This is not exactly the same. You are in control of your weapon in almost every possible scenario. On public roads, you are constantly in danger of everyone else being inattentive. Your gun is your safety belt, train well and keep it simple..

You said ALMOST every Possible scenario.

So does that mean all your weapons have no manual safety, because you may not get it off in time?

I train my self to take off the safety every time I pull my gun. my safety is off the instant the gun has left my holster. and iv trained my self to do it that way every time.

After countless hours at the "drawing board", I think I have devised the ultimate, safest Glock in the world. I am in talks right now with Harbor Freight who has agreed to supply holsters for the minimal modifications needed to make this safe gun easily concealable.

glocksafety.jpg

Sorry....I guess I'm just in one of my really weird "want to be funny" kind of moods! :s0114:

I think GG made a great point, that is being overlooked & is why my CC gun has a safety (M&P).
My concern was the weapon getting in someone ELSE's hands during a struggle. I read a LE study somewhere (I'll try to dig it up to substantiate) during my research for a carry gun about guns w/ safeties.
Basically, your gun in the assailants hands & his time to gettting a shot at you w/ a gun w/ no safety: like 2 seconds
Gun w/ safety: around 15 seconds.
Yes, I may forget the safety when under stress, but I know exactly where & how to disengage, so if it adds 2 seconds to my time, I'm ok w/ that. If It buys me 15ish seconds, thats worth it to ME.
In understanding a situation where you may need to use your CC weapon, its important to understand YOU must do everything you feel can do to stop the assailant. This may mean a hand to hand altercation PRIOR to using deadly force. Unless you are the Reverend Chuck Norris and have like a 9 foot roundhouse radius, I would say the chances your CC may get dropped, grabbed, etc are pretty good.
my 2c.

After countless hours at the "drawing board", I think I have devised the ultimate, safest Glock in the world. I am in talks right now with Harbor Freight who has agreed to supply holsters for the minimal modifications needed to make this safe gun easily concealable.

glocksafety.jpg

Sorry....I guess I'm just in one of my really weird "want to be funny" kind of moods! :s0114:

I didn't know Binford made pistols! COOL

i have seen this video several times. i'm still trying to figure out how that gun fired...
i am under the assumption that the gun's magazine was removed when he walked off screen and locked the slide back to extract the cartridge...
i know accidents happen but what exactly happened??? FTE and it stayed in the chamber? was the mag still in there?

The mag was still in the pistol....so when he slid the slide forward, he put a round in the chamber.

Just a thought here, if you feel that there is a chance of the BG taking your gun away from you, or dropping it, in a "scuffle"......................try shooting said BG BEFORE it comes to a physical hand to hand fight for your life. That's my plan any way. Other wise I would not carry a gun, just a real BIG knife :D

Plans change when the threat it real and not just being talked about. I have ideas and thought of every possible situation i can think of if I ever come face to face with a BAD GUY, but those plans/ideas don't always play out like we think. We know what WE would do, but we have no idea what the bad guys thinking or what he is going to do or if there is more then one, and do you know how you will react being confronted by a BG. Are you going to freeze up? just pull your gun out say freeze he keeps coming at you so you shoot him.. All i know is i want to be comfortable with what i am carrying. That doesn't mean you have to be, just as long as i am. Same goes for each and every person out there carrying there choice of firearm's, with their desired features.

I think that gray duc tape on the barrel of the Glock is less distracting, more child proof. That gold is more for wannabes.Other then that don't see any reason to go back to the drawing board, except Wally World now carries Krylon spray paint for a quick mod. Spad

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top