Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Glock Manual Safety

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by glockguy, Jan 16, 2010.

1. glockguy

glockguy Albany Oregon Well-Known Member

2. ORBrit

ORBrit Eugene Member

I think it's unnecessary.

3. Silver Fox

Silver Fox Puyallup, WA Well-Known Member

Gimmick.

Glocks have been proven safe in court.

SF-

4. dragonsden73

dragonsden73 Salem, Oregun Active Member

5. Silver Fox

Silver Fox Puyallup, WA Well-Known Member

:funnypoint:

Can you believe that guy tried to sue uTube? For some apparent reason he can longer get hired in the law enforcement community.

He is english sounds like a 5th grade wanna-be homie the clown. He sat right there and had the slide locked back, as he announced "dis iiizzz a Glock foo-tee" and releases the slide while a loaded mag is in the pistol. Right after he announces he is the only one professional enough in the class to handle that weapon.

What a clown.

SF-

6. Zoltan

Zoltan Salem Member

The thing about the cominolli safeties is that you have to cut into the frame of the gun which is probably not a good idea.

I would suggest a Siderlock. It's a trigger safety that doesn't alter your gun permanently the way the cominolli will. If you decide you don't like it later, I think it's something like $17 to put a stock trigger back on. I have them on all of my Glocks and they work great. I definitely recommend them.

7. dragonsden73

I have one of these on a G27....only way it would cost $17 to revert is if you don't have the original stock trigger (Like me) or you pay someone else to do a 2 minute job you can do yourself.

siderlock.jpg

8. Zoltan

Zoltan Salem Member

I don't think that's right. The installation will ruin your original trigger so putting it back would require you to buy a replacement. Either way, it's not a big deal.

9. durango#95

durango#95 Medford New Member

The Glock pistols are safer WITH OUT adding some 3rd party safety to them. I do not understand the perceived need for yet another safety added to the gun. That would be like having a car with an automatic transmission, putting it in Park, setting 2 different parking brakes, and then getting out and putting wheel chalks on all 4 tires.:huh: The best safety your gun has is the one between your ears, just use that one :thumbup:

10. dragonsden73

Not true. The Siderlock is a whole new trigger with the safety button installed. Take out you factory trigger, put it away and install the Siderlock. My Glock had it installed when I got it, and never was given the original trigger.

11. Zoltan

Zoltan Salem Member

Here is a review http://glocktalk.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-1047381.html

Dragonsden - I had mine installed at the gun show in Portland (the most recent two of them by Earl Nash, the Lone Wolf guy). I didn't get my original back either so I sent an e-mail and asked about it. I was told that the original trigger is ruined during installation. The review above says pretty much the same thing. How do you avoid that?

12. dragonsden73

Here is the instructions from the website...although very confusing.

http://www.siderlock.com/?section=installation

Here is a quote from these instructions: Place the trigger on the support bushing and remove the original subjection pin by lightly tapping on the pin punch. The pin will pass without damaging the original trigger. Keep the original trigger for later use if desired.

Maybe back in the day, it was a different setup.

All you do is take your Glock apart, all 3 pins, and get your factory trigger out via the small pin.

It is a pain to install the Siderlock. Think of the button as the safety on a Ruger 1022. On the Ruger, you position the safety in the middle to pull the stock off. Well, ain't happening with the Siderlock. You have to put basically the new unassembled trigger in, then right up against the frame is a little pin hole, you got to get it all together with the Glock assembled basically, then get that pin in. I used to repeat this until I got it figured out good, and intended on posting a how to video on Youtube...but never did.

In closing...the Siderlock is a new trigger with the safety installed. It REPLACES the factory trigger. Anyone telling you otherwise just got themselves a trigger for free. Sorry for the news :(

13. terrylf72

terrylf72 Portland, Oregon, United States Member

My finger is my safety!

14. spookshack

spookshack Forest Grove, OR Life Member Lifetime Supporter 2016 Volunteer

15. Riot

Riot Benton County, Washington Well-Known Member

The fact of the matter is- you can put as many safeties as you want on a firearm...but if you are unsafe with a firearm then you will probably get you or someone else shot.

There is no firearm that is moron proof...no mater how many safeties you put on the gun you must follow the basic rules...

*Never point a firearm at anything you're not willing to destroy
    *Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire
    *Treat all firearms as if they are loaded
    *Be aware of your target, what is behind it and what is beyond it

Mr. DEA that shot himself in the foot broke three of those four rules...no amount of safety could have prevented his negligence.

16. durango#95

X 100 :thankyou::thankyou::thankyou:

17. OFADAN

OFADAN Brownsville, OR Well-Known Member

Well if the GLOCK needs a manual safety then I guess we'd better get busy retro fitting all the revolvers in the world with one as well because they are just as "unsafe" as a GLOCK...the only difference is a GLOCK uses a magazine rather than a cylinder. When you think about it...a GLOCK is nothing more than a bottom feeding Revolver sans the cylinder. Essentially GLOCK took the same basic principle and made it more effective than a revolver. I don't recall ever hearing anyone indicating a revolver (double action or single) ever needing a mechanical manual safety?

A GLOCK has three passive safeties (trigger, firing pin and drop safety) and most modern Revolvers have one (older revolvers prior to the Ruger Transfer Bar had none) which conventional wisdom dictated one would carried the revolver on an empty cylinder unless you're about to go into harms way.

18. DERGLOCKINMEISTER

DERGLOCKINMEISTER SPRINGFIELD OREGON Member

I had the siderlock installed on my 26 carry gun at the Eugene gun show , got the original trigger back ( undamaged ) and he installed it for my lefty affliction .I have a total of seven Glocks and this is the only one I have done this with. For someone to belittle or talk down to anyone that is attempting to carry as safely and worry free as possible is juvenile. If it gives me the warm and fuzzy to have a trigger lock on my carry gun then your opinion is meaningless . Stick to helpful input without the attitude. I don't think I will install the safety on my other guns as they are not my daily carry . Good luck with whatever you decide.I would , however caution you to have the safety installed by a qualified person , it looked a little intimidating to me.

19. durango#95

I am NOT trying to belittle any one! I do apologize if that is how it comes across on the Internet :eek: I just have a great deal of concern for any add on safety that makes you push on the TRIGGER!! to engage or disengage it! In any direction, pushing on the trigger to INGAGE a safety just is not right. IMO this at the least builds bad gun handling habits, and at worst will cause an AD when the absence of said safety device would have prevented it all together.
    Glocks are 100% safe, in stock form, the only problem with them is if they are not treated like a loaded firearm. You can add all the safeties you like, but if not handled as a loaded firearm, you can STILL have an AD.

20. crosse

crosse Bellevue Active Member

i have seen this video several times. i'm still trying to figure out how that gun fired...
    i am under the assumption that the gun's magazine was removed when he walked off screen and locked the slide back to extract the cartridge...
    i know accidents happen but what exactly happened??? FTE and it stayed in the chamber? was the mag still in there?