JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hm. Prior to the Glock there were still the Beretta 92, the Sig P220 / Browning BDA, and the Sig P226, Walther PPK/s. And P38's. the Browing Hi Power, Smith & Wesson 39 series 59 series, and 45 series , the CZ 75 / Springfield P9, the Makarov, the HK P7M8 M13's, and of course the Colt 1911. All of those guns are acceptably reliable defensive arms. And given the ammunition of the day, which seemed to prefer ball or round nose lead over jacketed hollowpoints.

And if we take 1990 as the beginning of Glock's real acceptance in the US market you could throw in the Ruger P89, and the Walther P88.

Glocks are the reliability standard by which many (maybe most) of us go by now - but they weren't the first, or even the second gun that could be called reliable. Then again maybe we're spoiled today by so many guns that ARE boringly reliable and better made than guns of yesteryear. I remember playing with toy Berettas and Sigs as a kid in the mid to late 80's before most people knew who or what Glock was - the real guns which my plastic replicas had been based off of were already pretty well entrenched in American shooter's arsenals.

I'm gonna say "Horses For Courses." Glocks just do not fit me personally at all, but for some of the folks I've taught they've been perfect fits.

Go with what fits you personally, I always say--whether that's a single-stack GI-spec 1911 or a double-stack Glock with a custom super-long trigger and all the trimmings served up on a sesame-seed bun, the important thing is knowing yourself as a shooter and what fits your needs, doctrinally/tactically and biomechanically.

I used to really dislike Glocks. There was a time I would never own one. Then I gave them an honest go and found I really like them. They are not the works of art that many other guns are, but they are ridiculously reliable and are modular in a way that many other guns are not. I like how easily you can swap a caliber, for example, something you can do on other guns too, but there are more options I've seen for the Glocks. And aftermarket accessories, that's hard to beat too.

Just opinion guys and don't think I am trying to spread the gosphel:D. For a long fricking time shooters used revolvers. Cops wouldn't carry autos for a lot of reasons and the general public didn't trust them. The mindset was "six for sure". First auto was used by a state police organization and it worked well then it started the other cops on the road to auto, it was the model 39 smith in 9mm.

It took decades to get the public used to autos and trusting autos because basically they are machines and you have to know how to run them. Glock simplified the machine so anyone can operate it, it's the Chevrolet of guns. If I want a car I wouldn't buy a Chevy unless it was a corvette :D I think any of the autos would work for the guy who understands machines and can operate them.

Funny how things change, people not wanting jamamatics, only a big bore revolver will do and now not many carry "six for sure".

I think there was a time I considered a Glock, went and shot a few and almost bought one, then someone offered me a pre-ban P229 40SW I shot this and and never could look back at a Glock, to me its the difference in driving a Mclaren f1 or a Mustang. Both will get you there but in my head Sig just makes a superior product. I also sided with a SW 9mm Shield over a Glock. I see people talk allot about Glocks I mean allot so some times I wish I could relate to why some adore the Glock name. For me it never caught on.

Hm. Prior to the Glock there were still the Beretta 92, the Sig P220 / Browning BDA, and the Sig P226, Walther PPK/s. And P38's. the Browing Hi Power, Smith & Wesson 39 series 59 series, and 45 series , the CZ 75 / Springfield P9, the Makarov, the HK P7M8 M13's, and of course the Colt 1911. All of those guns are acceptably reliable defensive arms. And given the ammunition of the day, which seemed to prefer ball or round nose lead over jacketed hollowpoints.

And if we take 1990 as the beginning of Glock's real acceptance in the US market you could throw in the Ruger P89, and the Walther P88.

Glocks are the reliability standard by which many (maybe most) of us go by now - but they weren't the first, or even the second gun that could be called reliable. Then again maybe we're spoiled today by so many guns that ARE boringly reliable and better made than guns of yesteryear. I remember playing with toy Berettas and Sigs as a kid in the mid to late 80's before most people knew who or what Glock was - the real guns which my plastic replicas had been based off of were already pretty well entrenched in American shooter's arsenals.

You left out Steyr...

Quick little history tip...Steyr was actually a shoe-in for a lot of military contracts as a replacement pistol (Austrian military) before Glock (a then bayonet manufacturer) took the contract. It should also be noted that Taurus was also making a name for themselves during this time.

I don't think you can use the blanket term "steel" and "Aluminum" any longer because do much is done with alloys....if that makes sense.

Was an observation like conversations on similar discussions I am pretty sure Fords is an alloy to.
But it means many are discussing similar technology.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top