JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm confused by the huge Glock following. Yeah, they're solid firearms that'll take a beating and they're just a bit less ugly than HiPoint firearms but I just don't get the attraction. Yes, I've owned three Glocks - G21, G22, G23.

Every new model or generation they put out looks almost exactly as the previous model with maybe a couple improvements. Does that garner a huge following, what am I missing???

Yup, They are kind of ugly, but reliable, accurate, and shoot a lot from one magazine. Some people like a bludgeon, others a stiletto. Anyway, they are not exactly beautiful and timeless examples of the gun-maker's art. I haven't seen an engraved Glock yet. I'm also puzzled by why they are so loved and defended. I have a Taurus that shoots as well, is totally reliable, digests everything-even the most crappy steel cased ammo, is equally as ugly and all I get is hate about it. Go figure.

Norm

Well, Taurus has questionable quality for starters. A friend of mine bought a PT111 and it broke before the first shot was taken. 11 WEEKS later he got it back from Taurus. I've heard the same from others that their warranty department takes their sweet time. Lifetime warranty makes a guy feel all warm and fuzzy, but I would rather have a reliable weapon out of the box.

My only real gripe with Glocks is the grip angle. They are tough and reliable and shoot well, but the grip angle just doesn't work for me. When I hold it naturally, it's pointed up a little, and I have to tip my hands down to get the sites on target. While my Ruger SR9 just naturally points perfectly with my hands.

Well, to some extent you get what you pay for. You would expect Glock to have less failures than a Taurus which costs half as much. But that doesn't mean you can expect a Taurus handgun to be unreliable out of the box. It's not a Saturday night special or a $15.00 Iver Johnson from Sears in the 1930s. It is a budget pistol. True there are internet forum complaints about Taurus Warranty service, but clearly fit, finish and reliability have improved in the 4-5 years since they built a new factory. The old complaints keep coming, though.

Norm

Well, to some extent you get what you pay for. You would expect Glock to have less failures than a Taurus which costs half as much. But that doesn't mean you can expect a Taurus handgun to be unreliable out of the box. It's not a Saturday night special or a $15.00 Iver Johnson from Sears in the 1930s. It is a budget pistol. True there are internet forum complaints about Taurus Warranty service, but clearly fit, finish and reliability have improved in the 4-5 years since they built a new factory. The old complaints keep coming, though.

Norm

My friends brand new broken in the box PT111 was purchased fall of last year.

Norm
And, since any firearm can fail; Glock or Taurus, 300 rounds or so to check it's reliability is advisable after purchase..

My only real gripe with Glocks is the grip angle. They are tough and reliable and shoot well, but the grip angle just doesn't work for me. When I hold it naturally, it's pointed up a little, and I have to tip my hands down to get the sites on target. While my Ruger SR9 just naturally points perfectly with my hands.

Glock is a fighting pistol and the grip angle is a reflection of that. It forces your wrist into the locked position of a properly thrown punch as taught in most martial arts.

Well, Taurus has questionable quality for starters. A friend of mine bought a PT111 and it broke before the first shot was taken. 11 WEEKS later he got it back from Taurus. I've heard the same from others that their warranty department takes their sweet time. Lifetime warranty makes a guy feel all warm and fuzzy, but I would rather have a reliable weapon out of the box.
Mine did and still does, but I did send my broken G-29 back for warranty repair cost $80 and three weeks.

Way back when I bought the 1st Glock sold in my hometown. Had it for a bit then sold it. Wasn't for me. They are fine pistols and I would trust my life to one if it came down to it but they are not comfortable for me. I can hit with them but I have to work at it. My BHP or 1911 I don't have to think, it just happens. Same for my older Sigs and a Ruger MkII it just happens. Not so with the Glocks and that is honestly the only reason I don't own them.

and I do like giving Glock owners $#!t about their plastic pistols:s0149:

Taurus makes descent revolvers, but their semi-autos in my opinion as the quality of a Hi-point.
So really comparing a Taurus with a iffy semi-auto record to a Glock that quite possibly could have the
highest tested firearms in the business. I am not a fan of Glocks, but I would buy a Glock any-day over
a Taurus semi-auto. I probably would buy a Glock someday when I get old and senile hehe:p.

Way back when I bought the 1st Glock sold in my hometown. Had it for a bit then sold it. Wasn't for me. They are fine pistols and I would trust my life to one if it came down to it but they are not comfortable for me. I can hit with them but I have to work at it. My BHP or 1911 I don't have to think, it just happens. Same for my older Sigs and a Ruger MkII it just happens. Not so with the Glocks and that is honestly the only reason I don't own them.

and I do like giving Glock owners $#!t about their plastic pistols:s0149:

I was a Sig and HK guy and was totally pissed when I got issued a G22. After a week on the range and about 5000 rounds through it, I began to realize how much easier it was to get people to run it and how easy it was to maintain it. The more I shot it, the more I liked it. It didnt have unnecessary edges or contours. It comes out and goes back in the holster very easy. The 9/40 frame Glock is 1911 thin and is easy to conceal.

If you can shoot a Sig P226 fast, you'll likely shoot a Glock faster while still achieving decent accuracy. I am now issued an M&P that has very similar controls as the Glocks. Made for an easy transition. I still carry my G22 quite a bit , but my Gen5 G19 is going to give it a run for its money.

I was a Sig and HK guy and was totally pissed when I got issued a G22. After a week on the range and about 5000 rounds through it, I began to realize how much easier it was to get people to run it and how easy it was to maintain it. The more I shot it, the more I liked it. It didnt have unnecessary edges or contours. It comes out and goes back in the holster very easy. The 9/40 frame Glock is 1911 thin and is easy to conceal.

If you can shoot a Sig P226 fast, you'll likely shoot a Glock faster while still achieving decent accuracy. I am now issued an M&P that has very similar controls as the Glocks. Made for an easy transition. I still carry my G22 quite a bit , but my Gen5 G19 is going to give it a run for its money.

Fanboy! :p

I had and like the thin beavertail on my G-29, but I have taken it off as it makes that blocky G-29 grip even more blocky. I can shoot it well, I just don't like the feel and it feels marginally better with the extra bulk removed. Now I miss the beavertail though.

I had no use for a Glock and for no particular reason until I got hooked on the 10mm cartridge. I had a Kimber 10mm and a Sig 220 in 10mm and was curious about the G40 so I bought one. Glock has seriously tamed the recoil with the G40 and I really like it. It's accurate and fun with the RMR and the slide is easy to rack. I sold the Sig. Today I have the 40 a 19 and 34 all MOS. Getcha one, you wont be sorry.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top