JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Through the years, Glock has made changes the frames of their pistols. Since they've only done two major changes since it's original release, current model Glock's are typically called 3rd generation. It won't say anything on the gun about it.

If you bought it new this year it will be a 3rd gen Glock.

Here's what the 3 variants look like:

It's my understanding that the third is the most recently produced, also the older models grips did not have the finger grooves on them. I'm sure there's more to it than what i just said, but there seem to be a lot of glock enthusiasts on this forum (including myself) who know more about it than i do so hopefully they'll chime in.

Through the years, Glock has made changes the frames of their pistols. Since they've only done two major changes since it's original release, current model Glock's are typically called 3rd generation. It won't say anything on the gun about it.

If you bought it new this year it will be a 3rd gen Glock.

Here's what the 3 variants look like:

Thank you Thule. I knew somebody could help me with this on the forum. My Glock is the same as the 3rd generation pictured (finger grooves and rail).
Thanks again to all.:)

I called and talked to Glock about the "Generations" because I was wondering if they were going to do the RTF on the 17. I asked when they were going to be releasing the generation 4 in the 17. The person I spoke to said that this generation thing comes from the internet. I think that the generation coding is great and I appreciate the break down that Thule and terrylf72 provided.

no there is accualy 5 generation.. 1, 2, 2.5 (rail; no finger grooves) , 3 (finger grooves and rail) and 4 (RTF2, positive tecturing)

I was trying to keep the reply simple, hence why I only mentioned major changes and left out the minor updates :)

The RTF2 variant is only available on the G22 and G17 and was done to appeal to law enforcement officers, thus not really a full generation change. It will probably someday be referred to as a gen 3.5.

Rumors regarding the the Gen 4 say that it will have texturing similar to the RTF2 versions, reversible mag release and a replaceable backstrap similar to the FNP's and new HK's. Nothing official has been released though.

The Gen4 or the RTF (Rough Textured Frame) is easy to tell the difference since the cuts in the slide are curved vs. straight up and down on all previous generations....as if the texturing of the frame wasn't obvious enough.

This picture is from Glock's facebook page, didn't even know they had one. Who knows could be a fake.
Glock never refered to the changes as Gen1,2,3 but looks like they embraced it and is calling their next model Gen4

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top