JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I got a storm lake barrel for my Glock and took it to the range with it's new barrel a couple of days ago. My Glock didn't go completely into battery 3 time in the first two mags. Now I've put a lot of rounds through this thing and have never had a malfunction of any kind before. Is there any way the new barrel could be causing the probem? Should I take it in and have it fitted?

I think if you are going to depend on this barrel for defensive purposes you should have near perfect reliability. If its a range barrel, it might "break in" on its own over time. I've owned 10 Glocks and I would say it is the barrel being out of spec. It may be this was done on purpose so a smith could custom adjust it to very tight tolerances. Tight tolerances can improve accuracy, but unless its done right, it can also decrease reliability. Just my humble opinion based on my experiences over the years, your mileage may vary as they say...

I agree with jordan, it may just need breaking in. I have heard a lot of folks say they don't totally trust aftermarket barrels in their glocks.
If you have the stock barrel keep using it for defense while you see if the new one breaks in.
I have a KKM drop in for my g-34 and it has been reliable, but I use a stock glock barrel in my defense gun.

You shooting reloads? If so it might be the glock buldge that is getting you. My buddies 9mm 1911 can't shoot 9mm reloads that have been fired through a glock. It fails to chamber completely. Any other fired brass no problem but that glock buldge gets ya on even 9mm if you hav ea tight chamber.

Hope that might help ya some,
STeven

Many aftermarket barrels have tighter chambers. That is how they achieve accuracy results. This comes at the expense of reliability, unless you carefully check your reloads (this presumes you are using reloads - factory ammo should work in either barrel if it is high quality).

Two things:

1) take both your barrels out and drop 50 rounds into one, then 50 into the other. See if the Storm Lake hangs up on any of the cases.

2) if you are using reloads, get a Lee Factory Crimp die - it also has a full-length resizing band at the bottom of the die. It is cheap. You separate your reloading into seating in one step (use only the seating function of your seat/crimp die). then you go to the Lee die as the last station and do the crimp/resize.

I learned this a long time ago from IDPA shooters who had match barrels and reloaded. it took away all my issues with ammo and match barrels.

No reloads so far, just Federal 180gr FMJ's, I'm just concerned that something other than the barrel will "wear in" and cause damage to the frame or slide. I don't carry this daily but it is my woods gun and I won't carry it if it isn't 100% reliable. As far as the "Glock Bulge" goes, the aftermarket barrel will eliminate that as it fully supports the case and it will let me use plain lead bullets, that is if I ever find RCBS 10mm dies in stock somewhere. It also doesn't seem to be as accurate as the stock barrel but I haven't tried any other ammo in it to see if it just likes something else better.

So am I going to hurt anything?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads