JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Specifically, Generational differences.

I know that Glock has changed the internal geometry around a bit, but in terms of external dimensions, what (if anything) has changed?

If I have a P80 or other Gen 3 G17 equivalent, do I need to find a Gen 3 G17 barrel, or will any Generation (such as G4 or G5) of G17 suffice?

Specifically, Generational differences.

I know that Glock has changed the internal geometry around a bit, but in terms of external dimensions, what (if anything) has changed?

If I have a P80 or other Gen 3 G17 equivalent, do I need to find a Gen 3 G17 barrel, or will any Generation (such as G4 or G5) of G17 suffice?
Gen 5 full size barrels won't fit g17 size poly80 frames. The Gen 5 barrel lugs now match the G19/G26 barrel lugs. Gen 4 and earlier G17 barrels will fit the G17 size poly80 frames.

Barrel on right is Gen 5 G17 factory barrel. Barrel on left is Gen 3 aftermarket G19 barrel. Lugs match.

20230204_080654.jpg

20230204_080645.jpg

Last Edited:
my experience with poly 80 is that the kit will specify glock gen 1-3 or 4 and to use whatever parts the kit calls for. also, dont use cheap ebay lower parts kits. use factory glock stuff.

NVM. On his ignore so he doesn't need to know. 🤣

Yes. Gen 3 or previous.

A Gen 4 "can" be run, but you'll need to swap out the gen4 spring, use a gen3 spring and spring lug side cup adapter. A Gen 5 won't work at all. The locking lug geometry has been changed and won't run on a "gen 3" P80.

Last Edited:
i don't know why people always say use "Glock" parts only. Glock made a great design, YES and its been perfected and made far more superior by other brands than Glock will ever make it. Glock makes cheap guns, not in price but in gun. It's a cheap gun....it comes with plastic sights for F$%Ks sake.
So many people take a stock Glock and upgrade it with all the bells and whistles when you could have just bought a a better Glock platform gun. As the Armalite 15 , Glock is a platform now used by many brands. I'm not saying go on ebay and buy cheap bubblegum. I'm saying there are better triggers, barrels, lower kits, upper kits that are far superior than what Glock makes. The trigger housing is really the only thing you need to be stock, even the pins have better ones out there with dimpled pins so you don't slip and blemish your gun.

Not to hijack the thread too far but would a G17 Gen 3 slide fit and function on a G19 Gen3 frame if you have a G19 long barrel in the G17 slide?

Edit: after some googling it looks like I can put a g17 slide on g19 frame if I use a g19 long barrel but I will need an extended length g17 guide rod. Lone wolf makes one ($22) but I might be able to use a gen 5 g17 guide rod.

Last Edited:
Glock barrel differences...
Some are 9 some are 40, some are 45, 10mm, 347sig, 380. Some are longer and some are shorter.

That help?

No, I didn't read the other posts. :cool::s0064:

Not to hijack the thread too far but would a G17 Gen 3 slide fit and function on a G19 Gen3 frame if you have a G19 long barrel in the G17 slide?

Edit: after some googling it looks like I can put a g17 slide on g19 frame if I use a g19 long barrel but I will need an extended length g17 guide rod. Lone wolf makes one ($22) but I might be able to use a gen 5 g17 guide rod.
why don't you just get a G19 slide ? or G19 long slide.... this just sounds like complicating things.

i don't know why people always say use "Glock" parts only. Glock made a great design, YES and its been perfected and made far more superior by other brands than Glock will ever make it. Glock makes cheap guns, not in price but in gun. It's a cheap gun....it comes with plastic sights for F$%Ks sake.
So many people take a stock Glock and upgrade it with all the bells and whistles when you could have just bought a a better Glock platform gun. As the Armalite 15 , Glock is a platform now used by many brands. I'm not saying go on ebay and buy cheap bubblegum. I'm saying there are better triggers, barrels, lower kits, upper kits that are far superior than what Glock makes. The trigger housing is really the only thing you need to be stock, even the pins have better ones out there with dimpled pins so you don't slip and blemish your gun.
I suppose it's like auto manufacturers. They will always tell you to use only OEM parts as well, because those are the only ones that they've tested and confirmed to work with their product.

Sure, you can get aftermarket parts that are often (but not always) better in quality, but those parts aren't guaranteed to be compatible and occasionally have shortcomings. Sometimes those shortcomings aren't even discovered until after they're installed and have to interact with other aftermarket parts, too.

So, the short answer is: less risk of problems. Also, it maintains the original warranty.

It's not a perfect analogy, but I suspect that's the reason why people say that.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top