JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which of the light options listed would you recommend for a G29 w/ extended barrel?

• XC1

• X300

• X300 U A

• X300 U B

• Inforce APL (Gen 1-3)

• Inforce APL Compact

• TLR-1

• TLR-2

• I just want to see the results of the poll.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reactions
I have a Glock 29 with an extended barrel (4.6") that I would like to put a tac light on. My current Kenai Chest Holster from Gunfighters Inc. does not accommodate a tac light, so I will be ordering a new holster. The holster are Kydex and they have several light options. Which of the light options listed below have you shot or carried on your G29 or other similar compact Glock? I would like to buy from off the list so I don't have to ask Gunfighters Inc. to do a custom holster for me. Thanks everyone for your responses!

Curious what barrel you are using and also curious to the outcome of this thread, I am in the same boat you are, I just haven't bought the barrel yet and also haven't figured out what light to order.

TLR-3. Light, compact and for a weapon light I don't want blinding lumens that mess up my night vision. Just enough to see the target and dispatch it. I've practiced with my TRL-3 in blackout conditions. Works well.

If you want to just blind the target, try a handheld high lumen light. If you want to actually dispatch the target, low and easy with some decent spill and no tight hotspot. YMMV.

I own a G29, and a G20. I have used Streamlight for the past 7 years mounted on a G20 and a G17, never desired to mount one on the G29, but no reason why it wouldn't be a great choice, just personal carry options make it an unnecessary additional expense for me. I don't argue they are better or worse than other lights, I personally don't have experience with other lights, I just simply acknowledge that they have worked for me. I find them to be very well made and do the job of being a tough weapon mounted light very well. Price is also a determinant factor for me, I find on sale the streamlight products can be had for cheaper than I see their competitors and I am not made of money. A TLR-1 HL spewing out 800 lumens provides a ton of light, direct and ambient (strobe is worthless, dont bother with anything but high constant in the eyes of whatever you are aiming at - from my personal experience)

And 800 lumens rocks for a handheld search/spot light but isn't great at 20 feet down the hallway. The spill and reflection from the walls would eliminate any night vision you may have had. At that power, tritium night sights become a huge waste of money. As soon as you fire it you'll more than likely squint and get watery eyes from the sudden change. IMHO, that's not a good thing, especially if there's more than one target.

TLR-3. Light, compact and for a weapon light I don't want blinding lumens that mess up my night vision. Just enough to see the target and dispatch it. I've practiced with my TRL-3 in blackout conditions. Works well.

I definitely agree that there is a amount of diminishing returns with lumens, if you are putting so much light on a target that it is causing you to be ineffective in acquiring a target picture and sight alignment, then that is simply too much light for the scenario, however in this instance, I presume we are talking about a light that will realistically only be used outdoors and in the woods. Nothing in nature reflects light very well except for water, so understanding that concept, I would say that most WML do not produce enough light to be a problem in an outdoor environment. If we were talking about inside a house completely dark, pointing it at a mirror and staring at it, I could understand.

I have taken my 800 lumen streamlight out in the woods with no light except from the stars nearby. It lit up the forested area very well, I was able to see a lot of the area around me just with the ambient spill I was content with the amount of light it provided, but never thought that it was too much. I think the point of a WML on an outdoor pistol is to provide you as much light as possible to address "what is out there," purposely using anything else to avoid losing your eyes dilated pupils if you ever pop the light seems like it is ignoring the purpose for what the light is for in the first place. Generally someone who is carrying a G29 with a WML will also have a headlamp or a handheld, so it would seem that when the WML is needed, the need has gone well beyond the need for simple illumination and now into the realm of potentially not using my headlamp or hand held any more because drawing the gun is needed to address a potential threat.

I personally don't put much stock in the concept of preserving my night vision outdoors in a threat scenario. Every animal in the woods has better night vision than a human does, vastly, and better sense of smell, and hearing, so the only way to get on a equal footing is to illuminate the night enough that our crappy human night vision doesn't matter.

And 800 lumens rocks for a handheld search/spot light but isn't great at 20 feet down the hallway. The spill and reflection from the walls would eliminate any night vision you may have had. At that power, tritium night sights become a huge waste of money. As soon as you fire it you'll more than likely squint and get watery eyes from the sudden change. IMHO, that's not a good thing, especially if there's more than one target.

Just by analyzing how he is talking about carrying, this sounds like an outdoor only rig, no worries about the hallway. Rock the 800 lumens :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top