Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Glock 27

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by dustinm, May 18, 2011.

1. dustinm

dustinm The BEAVER State Member

First off thanks for taking the time to read my post. I have a Glock 27 that I carry almost daily. Every morning I load a round into it and go about my day. I have noticed some pretty serious damage to the one round that always gets loaded. I have several other autos including other glocks and haven't seen this problem before. Has anyone else seen problems like this before? The rounds are factory bought and measure within the COL limit.

IMAG0089.jpg

Thanks for your help.

IMAG0089.jpg

2. oasis618

oasis618 Tacoma, Wa Active Member

Holy schmoly, I've never seen anything like that just from chambering a round before.

3. macdougall29

macdougall29 Newberg, Oregon, United States Active Member

Wow, I have a Glock 27 as well and follow the same routine as you, however I have never had this problem...

4. oasis618

oasis618 Tacoma, Wa Active Member

Your gun "eats ammo" a little more literally than most!

5. miletwo

miletwo Gresham, Oregon Member

Yikes!

6. dustinm

So I had a few minutes to tinker with it today and I think I have narrowed it down to the extractor. I think. I manually excersised it but don't think it fixed the problem. Anyone have a list of good Glock gunsmiths? I would prefer someone in Central Oregon, but understand thats not always possible. Anyone think of any other possible causes?

7. dustinm

IMAG0090.jpg

Here is a pic of the extractor.....

IMAG0090.jpg

8. Ben Beckerich

Ben Beckerich NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

you're dropping the extractor on the rim- thats why it's eroding like it is. the gun is designed to slide round rims up behind the extractor, as from stripping off a mag. my suggestion is to slide strip a round from the mag, then top the mag off.

and put that round in the bubblegum pile- it's a goner.

9. Nutty4Guns

Nutty4Guns Portland ADHD Superstar

Yep, that is exactly my thoughts. Most autos if not all are not designed to be loaded simply by dropping a round in the chamber without feeding it from the mag.

10. oregonty

oregonty Salem, OR Active Member

Just curious why you load a round every morning? Wouldn't you want a loaded pistol at all times. You never know when you may need the pistol. Just curious and not criticizing.

11. dustinm

bkb0000--I bet your right. I wasn't aware of this with Glocks. Bad habit I guess. I will change my practice and see what happens. Thanks for your time.

oregonty--I dont keep this one loaded, but I do keep the one next to my bed chambered.

12. Ben Beckerich

Ben Beckerich NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

this is why a lot of guys drop the slide onto a hand-chambered cartridge, to avoid setback. but the above results instead, and it's overly hard on the extractor.

when i chamber my sidearm (glock 17), i manually cycle the weapon, and ride it into battery, slowly stripping a round, allowing it to clatter its way behind the extractor and into the chamber- no setback, no extractor damage. some of you will gasp at the very thought of riding the slide, but i assure you, if the barrel shelf is flush with the slide, the weapon is fully in battery.