JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am in the same boat. I had been looking at a glock 27 until I shot the 26 today and have now reconsidered. From what I have read the XD is a little heavier and clunkier than the glock, both are excellent guns though. You get some freebies with the XD, and more safety features, but you cant beat glock reliability and quality. I am sure others will agree or disagree.

Best thing you can do is shoot both, or go hold both and see which fits better.

I don't like Glocks personally. They tend to work well, but they are different than all other guns I own. They also seem to recoil more in .40.

So, I went with the XD. The extra weight in the slide really helps to tame the recoil.

So I recommend a S&W m&P compact. That is my daily carry and I like it a lot. The grip fits me a lot better than the g27 does. I haven't had the opportunity to shoot the xd so I can't speak to that. I do know the m&p is in the same price range as glock and the xd. Food for thought

You get some freebies with the XD, and more safety features, but you cant beat glock reliability and quality. I am sure others will agree or disagree.

XDs are at least as reliable as Glocks, maybe more so. Quality? Equal or better with the XD. XDs have fully-supported chambers and better triggers than Glocks. For many people the ergonomics of the XD are exceptionally good while Glocks are, at least to me, weird. The Glock grip angle does not work for me at all and the grip itself is too square at the back. I really like the grip safety of the XD and would not carry a Glock due to it's lack of an effective safety. Everyone here knows what "Glock Leg" is so I shouldn't have to explain further. I agree with gnarkill that you should shoot both and see what you like better. If one or the other doesn't "click" with you check out some other guns too. You're shopping for a carry piece, take your time and get it right. Whatever you buy is going to spend a lot of time with you...

i've looked @ glocks (never fired one) but the didn't have the right sight picture for me .. tried the XD... loved it .. now own 2 .. the 40 and 45 ..its all in the fit... Don

I like the Glocks better, but the 26/27 doesn't fit my hand, so I purchased a XD9 sub. Fit my hand, but never was able to really shoot it well. After a few trades, ended up with a G19.

My EDC is a G26, but I also own an XD-40. I've found a lot of people really like the XD's grip, especially those with smaller hands (my wife can actually comfortably shoot the XD much better than the Glock).

The main reason I carry the Glock is the concealability - to me, even the subcompact XD's seem a little on the bulky side compared to the Glocks.

XDs are at least as reliable as Glocks, maybe more so. Quality? Equal or better with the XD. XDs have fully-supported chambers and better triggers than Glocks. For many people the ergonomics of the XD are exceptionally good while Glocks are, at least to me, weird. The Glock grip angle does not work for me at all and the grip itself is too square at the back. I really like the grip safety of the XD and would not carry a Glock due to it's lack of an effective safety. Everyone here knows what "Glock Leg" is so I shouldn't have to explain further. I agree with gnarkill that you should shoot both and see what you like better. If one or the other doesn't "click" with you check out some other guns too. You're shopping for a carry piece, take your time and get it right. Whatever you buy is going to spend a lot of time with you...

"lack of an effective safety".....If you understood the trigger system on a Glock you would understand why it does not require any additional safety...

"XDs have fully-supported chambers and better triggers than Glocks" .... Glock is a combat weapon,The Un-Supported chamber is part of the design for feeding and extracting under all conditions...The triggers from factory are something to get used to,But a better trigger is easily obtainable...

There are several Glocks around the country in rental shops that have a current round count of three hundred thousand rounds plus and still going... Most with regular Maintenance and a couple dollar trigger spring replacement here and there...

I don't feel Glocks are pretty to look at or real nice to hold and fondle , But they are a real good tool and worthy of consideration...

Glock is like any other manufacturer , They are not without flaws...

I would buy the m&p. It has a nicer finish, rounded trigger guard, great slide serrations front and rear, and you can change the size of the grip to fit your hand. All for about the same price. And from what I've heard it's more accurate too. Not to mention Made In The USA. Unlike the xd and glock.

I am in the same boat. I had been looking at a glock 27 until I shot the 26 today and have now reconsidered. From what I have read the XD is a little heavier and clunkier than the glock, both are excellent guns though. You get some freebies with the XD, and more safety features, but you cant beat glock reliability and quality. I am sure others will agree or disagree.

What do you mean, more safety features?
Oh I see you mean a "Safety" you have to switch on and off with a click. That makes it more safe.

I agree the center lever on the trigger is kind of lame, it does require the lever be depressed before the trigger will depress fully.
Inside the Glock are two safety's, one is the firing pin safety that is depressed when, 'and only when' the trigger is pulled. This safety must be depressed or the firing pin cannot travel forward to the striking position.

The second safety is the firing pin is in a neutral 'at rest' state, until the trigger is pulled and the cruciform is pulled back to engage the (what would be a sear, Glock has no sear, as it has no hammer.) firing pin pulling it back, tightening the spring, then when the end of the cruciform contacts the connector it starts riding downward, to a point where it releases the firing pin, and the pin is driven forward by a spring to the ammo.

Glock's are safe, Dropping them, tossing them, dragging them behind a truck will not cause them to fire. (Like I said the firing pin has no tension until the trigger is pulled.) Unlike many guns with hammers and sears.
Glock, as long as you don't pull the trigger they will not go off.

You can add a safety-bar trigger that a pin has to be pushed from one side to the other to unlock the trigger.

I own some really nice other brand guns, they are wonderful to shoot. I trust my life to a Glock.

Yes I have put a heck of a lot of thought and research into the gun I carry. Glocks are safe, reliable, and durable. Look at your parts schematic Glock has 36 parts from frame to the pins holding it together. My SW 908 has 265 listed.

Last Edited:
I recently bought an XD40-SC to be my primary carry. A month later and it has been assigned to glove box duty in my car and my Glock 27 (with Lone Wolf SS Slide and night sights) has taken it's place on my hip. The Glock just carries and shoots a little bit better in my opinion. :)

i was considering the same two guns. i went with the glock 26. i found the xd a bit too top heavy, and i have no need to mount a light on my ccw gun, nor did i want any potential drawing holstering hangups with the rail.

What do you mean, more safety features?
Oh I see you mean a "Safety" you have to switch on and off with a click. That makes it more safe.
I agree the center lever on the trigger is kind of lame, it does require the lever be depressed before the trigger will depress fully.
Inside the Glock are two safety's, one is the firing pin safety that is depressed when, 'and only when' the trigger is pulled. This safety must be depressed or the firing pin cannot travel forward to the striking position.

The second safety is the firing pin is in a neutral 'at rest' state, until the trigger is pulled and the cruciform is pulled back to engage the (what would be a sear, Glock has no sear, as it has no hammer.) firing pin pulling it back, tightening the spring, then when the end of the cruciform contacts the connector it starts riding downward, to a point where it releases the firing pin, and the pin is driven forward by a spring to the ammo.

Glock's are safe, Dropping them, tossing them, dragging them behind a truck will not cause them to fire. (Like I said the firing pin has no tension until the trigger is pulled.) Unlike many guns with hammers and sears.
Glock, as long as you don't pull the trigger they will not go off.

You can add a safety-bar trigger that a pin has to be pushed from one side to the other to unlock the trigger.

I own some really nice other brand guns, they are wonderful to shoot. I trust my life to a Glock.

Yes I have put a heck of a lot of thought and research into the gun I carry. Glocks are safe, reliable, and durable. Look at your parts schematic Glock has 36 parts from frame to the pins holding it together. My SW 908 has 265 listed.

neither of my XDs has a safety i have to click >>> :huh: Don

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads