Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Glock 23 or Glock 27.

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by .45's and .38's, Dec 17, 2009.

1. .45's and .38's

.45's and .38's Happy Valley OR Well-Known Member

Im wondering what Glock people prefer over the 2 models? I just got the 23 but I'm considering trading for a 27....Why? Because it is a tad bit smaller. But...I hear the 23 is good but, when you want to CC it is good to have the 27 with the 10 rounder's. Some people dont mind having a slightly larger gun
    (23) I do. One reason I wouldnt get the 27, I dont know if this is true. The 27 with a finger extension on the magazine is about the same size as a 23. I'm just looking for some advice or reasons why you'd prefer the 27 to the 23.

2. pioneer461

pioneer461 Columbia County, Oregon Active Member

I carried a model 27 for years as an off-duty / backup gun. There isn't that much difference in size or weight. I used the grip extension and never had a problem wearing it under my uniform shirt or in an ankle rig. In retirement I most often carry either a S&W 457 (.45) or a 1911. Larger guns are not that difficult to carry.

3. JUSTIficatioN

JUSTIficatioN Seattle, Wa Member

The glock 23 was my main CC for awhile, but glocks, being rather bulky and square, tended to give me a lot of back pains at the end of the day. But that was the 23 and I don't have any experience with the 27. I switched to a officers model 1911 and havn't looked back.

4. .45's and .38's

If only could trade the 23 for a 1911. There is a lot of 23's for sale

5. danblackstone

danblackstone Hillsboro, OR Member

Where is there a lot of 23's for sale?

6. .45's and .38's

on the classifieds.

7. arjunki

arjunki Beaverton Active Member

I've carried the 26 a lot in a Crossbreed IWB and it is very comfortable. I also have carried many other rigs. It is certainly not as concealable as a singlestack like a Sig 225 or a Kahr etc. But when I don't want to carry a 1911 I usually carry the 26 and soon my 27 should be ready. I don't like them for their concealment qualities though. I love them because they are super reliable and I shoot them better than the other Glocks. The full size Glock grip makes me point high and they just don't feel right. They are also a nice chunk of firepower in a fairly small package. I like to carry the flush mag in the gun and a spare 17 rounder on my other hip. That's 27 rounds. Not bad! With the 27 it would be a flush 9 rounder in the gun + a 15 rounder on the other hip. That's 24 rounds. Still pretty darn good! And the baby Glocks with the flush mag or the + 2 do not print as much as the 23.

8. Deavis

Deavis Mid Willamette Valley Active Member

I think the 27 feels softer when shot than the 23 with the dual spring etc, but for just a tiny little bit more size you more rounds in the 23

I have a 23C if anyone wants it, 2 mags, night sights, etc.

9. Zoltan

Zoltan Salem Member

I went through the same thing and decided on a G27. Essentially, you can make a 27 bigger by using a 23 magazine with one of the adapter sleeves like these http://glockstore.com/pgroup_descrip/3/6759_Magazine+Sleeve+for+Glock/ but you can't make a 23 smaller on those occasions where you need it.

I also got the 40-9 conversion barrel and an Advantage Arms 22lr conversion kit so I can practice cheap. Personally, I think my 27 is the perfect gun.

10. .45's and .38's

maybe I will trade for one then. I'd rather have the 26. But with the 26 can I caliber change? compared to the 27 which can easily swap to a 9mm.

11. Zoltan

Zoltan Salem Member

No. You can get the 40-9 conversion barrel for the 27 but no conversions are available for the 26. I really don't see a reason to have a 26 when you can have a 27 and a choice of ammo. I got the Lone Wolf conversion barrel. I will probably get the straight .40 Lone Wolf barrel as well so I can shoot lead. The advantages of the non-conversion Lone Wolf barrel are that you can shoot lead and they have a more fully support chamber.

Now, the same kind of conversion barrel is available for the 23 if you decide on the bigger frame version.

12. arjunki

--------------
    Yup, what he said + the option of a 357 Sig barrel also. Quite a versitile pistol!

13. dragonsden73

dragonsden73 Salem, Oregun Active Member

Do like me and own a 23 AND a 27....trust me I have traded off about 3 of the 27's and kicked myself each time. Now I can use either depending on how I intent to carry on any particular day. I find myself carrying the 23 more....it is so easy to conceal, plus I like the advantage of a tad longer bbl....using a 23 mag in a 27 is fine, but if I'm carrying it, it makes more sense to me to have the extra length on the business end.

That being said, I find myself on occasion carrying the 27 in my breast pocket of my coat, especially if going for a walk whereas my hands are usually in those pockets, so I already have a hold of her JIC....carrying the 27 IWB personally doesn't work well for me...the shorter grip causes me to get just as much love handle as it does the shorter grip 27.....OUCH! :paranoid:

So....own BOTH.....it's nice to have choices!

14. .45's and .38's

I like this thought too.....You cant make A 23 smaller, but you can make a 27 bigger. My 23 does have the TFO's & I really like those. This 27 does have a 2008 installed pair of trijicons though. What Should I do?????:confused:

15. arjunki

--------------------------
    If it's a fair deal "Get It" You'll be glad you did.

16. tomgow29

tomgow29 Pierce County Member

I have both and love them, but if one were to go away, it would be the 23.

17. Zoltan

Zoltan Salem Member

I'd keep the sights if I could. I love my TFO's. If you've got a sight pusher they should swap right over.

If not, I did find them for $89, here http://www.botachtactical.com/trtfogunsi.html. That's $25 or so cheaper than most places.

As for the gun, you won't be sorry. It is by far my favorite gun ever.

Good luck.

18. Riot

Riot Benton County, Washington Well-Known Member

I'd avoid Botach like the plague if I were you...do some research on their site reviews.

Oh, and I'd go with the G-27.

19. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

Personally I don't care at all for the 26/27. If I want a smaller gun for CCW, I want a thinner one.

To me it's not the length but the thickness. There are quality thinner guns out there - maybe look at
    a Kahr. ??

If I'm going to carry a thicker gun, might as well be a G23 with a longer sight radius and more rounds.

I think this is why so many guys can carry a 1911. They're not real thick.

That's just my $.02 and YM and body type will vary.

PS I carry a Kel Tec Pf-9 even though I have other choices in the safe including a G23 now.

20. n47587

n47587 creswell Member

I have both the 23 and 27. Have carried the 27 a lot. Muzzle rise is a bit more with the 27, but not much. I have one mag with pierce extention and 3 are flush fit. When I range tested these, I printed the same grouping with both the 27 and 23 using a rest.