JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So finally got some free time to go visit the local gun shop and I decided to rent a G23.

It was my first time shooting a .40 caliber pistol and I must say that its not as snappy as I have been led on to believe. I didn't expect the thing to Summersault out of my hands but I must say I was pleasantly surprised to find it quite manageable, obviously not like 9mm but pretty close for my novice hands.

I have always eyed a .40 caliber when shopping but I just never spent the money, however now that 9mm is a tad bit hard to find especially in defensive format I might just have to put a G23 on my next buy list...that is if 9mm ammo becomes more available when my time comes

The moral of this story is don't believe everything you
Read.

Yes it is a very nice pistol. I'm not sure about up there but around here ammo is back in full supply except the elusive .22 lr. Not sure if you are aware but you can buy a 9mm conversion barrel for the G23 to turn it into a G19 and have the flexibility of shooting 9mm and .40 S&W out of the same pistol:s0155:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I have heard of the conversion route, I like the idea of having a few calibers for one gun. 9mm ammo looks like its making a come back but mostly I see fmj or that odd nylon stuff from herters, I saw a box of Corbon DPX but it was $30 something for 20 rds which is a bit much.

The only reason I'm considering .40 is I have heard that in past ammo slumps it was the most available and its a few dollars more expensive than 9mm which isn't too bad.

Idk I'm sure 9mm will be plentiful once I get around to buying a new pistol. I do find it very odd though that the most difficult ammo to find is .22.

I replied to another post on here about the .40 cal to 9mm conversion. Just know that as someone who has converted calibers, I decided to do a full conversion ( for self defense purposes ) and not just a barrel swap. For plinking, just buy the barrel to convert your G23 to a 9mm. Also you can do a .357 conversion too. In my experience with the 9mm conversions, use +P or +P+ for self defense. For plinking, shoot whatever you can get your hands on lol..... oh and finding the appropriate magazine is a bit of a pain and a little expensive.... I used to buy mags for $25 and now it's like $40, if you find it. Yeah yeah and gas used to be .99/gal :p

Now... some may say that the .40 cal Glocks wear out faster, some say 9mm is the only way to go.... blah blah blah. I have owned several Glocks in 40 caliber and I always enjoyed them. I recently converted to 9mm because of capacity, recoil, and oh did I mention capacity?

in conclusion, if you go with a .40 cal Glock, you have more options and options are good.

I don't even bother going inside stores to look for 9mm ammo.... I go inside the store with a smile, then I come out looking like PISSY the cat hahahahah.

571b3542-95dc-4729-8082-cec20fd08b45_zpsb5733ece.jpg

I agree with biggie on the .40 I have several glock's in .40 and never had a problem as far as wearing out faster,yes it is a snappy round but very fun to shoot.I would pick up the g23
and get a conversion barrel,then I would take it a step further and pick up a 9mm extractor and a new trigger housing with the 9mm ejector on it and a complete trigger bar.Once you swap those parts which only take a few minutes you will pretty much have a factory g19.You have a lot of options to go with if you get the .40.

I tried my darndest to wear out my glock 23. quit at around 5,000 rounds. Then tried it on a xd 40. Now I am trying to wear out my walther P99. Still to no avail. Its alot of work trying to wear out one of these. I am trying my hardest. My boys are helping to. Now if only they would help reload.

Glock 23 is my main carry, and fits my needs completely. Easy to conceal, simple to operate, reliable as any pistol, and more than some. Ammo has been available for most of this run, if you know where and when to look.

I don't believe you can go wrong with the 19 or 23. I like the 9mm cartridge as well, 40 has been more available in the circles I frequent.

The Glock 23 is one of my favorite guns I have. I went a little overkill with tritium sights and crimson trace but as I love how it shoots it was the gun I was going to trick out without a doubt even though I have a decent size collection of carry guns.

the light one there is just a quick slide on bright tactical for bedtime when I set it in the drawer next to me. Between the crimson laser grips, tritium sight, awesome shooting gun with the powerful 40 ca,l and bright tac light it will do just fine in the dark if something goes bump in the night.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top