JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Gentlemen,

After putting in research, going over reviews, and finally taking one for a test drive, I finally picked up a Glock 20 SF 10mm. You either love it or you hate it, but if you're the first one, I would appreciate some feedback.

The reason for this purchase was to have a powerful, high capacity auto that I could have on me for protection against large animals while fishing, camping, hiking, or as a backup for hunting. I'll rule out coastal griz's in the AK because, let's face it, if I'm in the bush out there, I've got my 870 and a buddy that's slower than me.

When I bought the pistol, I had every intention of keeping it stock, but as I read more about it, it seems very popular to put an extended barrel on these things to get some more punch and accuracy out of them. I'm all for it, but I've read mixed reviews on which barrel to put in it. The Lone Wolf seems pretty popular, but I was reading a post today that had mixed reviews about them. The max length I could go would be 5.5" because I plan on carrying the G20 in a Raven Concealmet Phantom Light Compatible Holster (with a Surefire X300, which is the same setup I have for my G23 and is the best holster that I have found for my needs), but they only offer a 1" barrel extension giving me a total length of 5.6" to work with. That's fine, but I want to make sure I get the best quality barrel. Plus, if I get an extended barrel, do I need a new recoil spring? Also, I would like input as to the best and most powerful 10mm loads to put in the G20. Any additional feedback on holsters, grips, lights, etc. (good or bad) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys, and I look forward to hearing from you.

I bought mine used with a killer stipple job. I've left it exactly as-is and love it! Traded away my Delta Elite and now have something I don't mind shooting a lot (cept it costs a lot to keep it fed). I say enjoy it as it is for a bit and then see what you do and do not like about it before going crazy spending more money that may not make any difference. Enjoy!

Do you handload? If you are shooting factory ammo the velocity gains would be little to not unless you are shooting expensive custom loads buffalo bore/cor-bon and even then what's an extra 20-90fps ? The .9" of extra barrel won't do much for accuracy either. A trigger job would most likely be better for accuracy then a .9" longer barrel in a semi auto pistol. All that being said go for it. I have made some different/strange/cool/tactical modifications to some guns just to be different.

That's good input guys. I'm going to start hand loading for 10mm off of a buddy's Dylan Press. I was wondering about the extra 20-90 fps gain and I'm glad you mentioned that. I can't see that making a huge difference, but I figured every little bit helps, especially for such a relatively inexpensive upgrade (about $130 for the lone wolf barrel). I'm just wondering about the reliability I'll get with an aftermarket part like that. I'd hate to have an encounter with a large, aggressive wild animal (this includes a fat ex girlfriend) and have a failure to feed/extract.

I'd keep it stock. I've had a G20 and it was great, but when you start messing with stuff, stuff starts messing up. Buffalo Bore makes some good stuff, so does Double Tap. For protection against animals, use hard cast bullets, NOT hollow points. Hollow points will expand on the tuff skin and bone and not work well. Hard cast will get to a vital.

I'm just wondering about the reliability I'll get with an aftermarket part like that. I'd hate to have an encounter with a large, aggressive wild animal (this includes a fat ex girlfriend) and have a failure to feed/extract.

Hickok45 did a video on shooting heavy cast 10mm bullets out of the Glock 20 with the factory, and the Lone Wolf barrel. I assume you would be loading heavy cast for hunting protection. From this video and other reviews I have seen, the Lone Wolf is actually made to tighter tolerances, and certainly functions much better than factory when shooting heavy cast ammo.

Just my thoughts =)

Glock 20 with heavy cast bullets - YouTube

I believe Glock does not recommend the use of lead bullets in the polygonal (hexagonal) barrels. The issue is a rapid buildup of lead causing accuracy and reliability problems. A buddy of mine shot lead bullets in his Glock and barrel was fowled within 5 rounds.

Hi benjohson,
Well I would get a Trigger job see how that work before any other thing. Maybe do alot of practice so you hit what you are shooting at.
If you need some help, let me know as I am a Armorer and can help you out, PM me.
Hope this helps,
Tony Portland, Oregon Area

I believe Glock does not recommend the use of lead bullets in the polygonal (hexagonal) barrels. The issue is a rapid buildup of lead causing accuracy and reliability problems. A buddy of mine shot lead bullets in his Glock and barrel was fowled within 5 rounds.

Be smart and clean your guns. No issue if you pay attention. I shoot lead in my poly rifled pistols all the time.

that being said, you are correct in stating that Glock recommends against it. You could possibly void any warranty if something does happen.

I carry a G29 for everyday concealed carry, but strap on the G20 when open carrying, around my farm, in the brush and so on. The first thing I did with both Glocks was have an armorer do a trigger job to them. This is in my opinion a must for all Glocks. I left the G29 stock other than that, and shoot 180 grain Hornady XTP at about 1150' per second. The accuracy is acceptable at self defense ranges with the stock barrel. Now the G20 I have a 6" Lone Wolf barrel. Those same 180 grain bullets are coming out at just over 1275' per second. I've not done a chronograph of these bullets in the stock G20 barrel, but have checked the accuracy between the two barrels. there is no comparison at ranges over 35 yards. At fifty yards you'd have a hard time hitting a man size target constantly with those bullets in a stock Glock barrel. The Lone wolf 6" barrel can put them in a 10" circle easy at 50 yards. That's as accurate as I can shot my 44 magnum with a 5 1/2" barrel. With over 500 rounds through the Lone Wolf barrel, I have had zero issues. The stock barrel for the G20 sits on the shelf. That's my limited experience with after market barrels for the Glock 10mm.

By the way. You talked about why you decided to carry a Glock 10mm. When I'm asked why I carry a Glock in 10mm, my answer is always the same. Glock doesn't make an 11mm yet.

That's all very good info guys, thanks. I had heard that the lone wolf barrels were a bit tighter than the stock glock barrels and some guys had trouble getting a round to extract because of that. One post I read said that he had a lone wolf barrel and had no problems with it, but some guys had, so there was about a 50/50 chance of getting a barrel that worked flawlessly and getting one that needed to be enlarged. I'm sure that the type of ammo being put into it has something to do with extraction as well. My main goal of putting an extended barrel is to get more punch rather than long distance accuracy. As I said before, this is for protection against large aggressive animals an will probably be used in situations where my target is within 30 yards or so. Hopefully they don't get that close!

I carry a G29 for everyday concealed carry, but strap on the G20 when open carrying, around my farm, in the brush and so on. The first thing I did with both Glocks was have an armorer do a trigger job to them. This is in my opinion a must for all Glocks. I left the G29 stock other than that, and shoot 180 grain Hornady XTP at about 1150' per second. The accuracy is acceptable at self defense ranges with the stock barrel. Now the G20 I have a 6" Lone Wolf barrel. Those same 180 grain bullets are coming out at just over 1275' per second. I've not done a chronograph of these bullets in the stock G20 barrel, but have checked the accuracy between the two barrels. there is no comparison at ranges over 35 yards. At fifty yards you'd have a hard time hitting a man size target constantly with those bullets in a stock Glock barrel. The Lone wolf 6" barrel can put them in a 10" circle easy at 50 yards. That's as accurate as I can shot my 44 magnum with a 5 1/2" barrel. With over 500 rounds through the Lone Wolf barrel, I have had zero issues. The stock barrel for the G20 sits on the shelf. That's my limited experience with after market barrels for the Glock 10mm.

By the way. You talked about why you decided to carry a Glock 10mm. When I'm asked why I carry a Glock in 10mm, my answer is always the same. Glock doesn't make an 11mm yet.

What type of holster do you carry the G20 with extended barrel in? Also, did you have to change out the recoil spring? Thanks for the input so far.

I have had 4 different g20s over the years.Bought all of them in stock condition.
Now I have 2 .With the stock barrels I could hit a man size target at 150 yards fairly easy.Yes I laser ranged it.
Now they wear the 6" and the 6.6" threaded barrels.And Lone Wolf slides to match. And Ghost Triggers that I did myself.Pretty easy,no reason to send it out to get it done.
I wouldn't say that either barrel is that much more accurate than the stock barrels.And I don't have a chrony to test fps.

All in all they function perfect. Since they are both new,I;ll take one with my when shooting to break them in.I'll put 1 or 2 mags through them,slow and rapid fire. No problems.

IF you intend to shoot those hard cast bullets, then the lone wolf bbl. is the way to go. I bought an extra G20 lower and put it on a Mech Tech ccu. Now have a carbine and a hand gun in 10 mm. More fun wih a great round.
See them here: MechTech - Home

Well, Glock doesn't make an 11mm, but they do make an 11.4mmAuto, and with this ammo it sends 185gr. downrange at 1140 fps:
Remington Golden Saber Ammo 45 ACP +P 185 Grain Brass Jacketed Hollow
Everybody seems to agree that 10mm isn't worth it if you don't load your own, and load 'em hot.

As far as "this barrel is more accurate," what a hoot that is! Clamp your pistol in a vise and fire off a mag, then tell me how much is the gun and how much is the shooter.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top