JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
looks like the best I have seen is 27 a box for CCI Blazer. the few places I have checked in town only have defense rounds that are running a buck or more a shot.

lol....no.
27 bucks is good, and those rounds aren’t going to be at all the same as full house rounds. You can shoot that 27 dollar stuff, it’s like having a .22 upper so it has training value but it won’t prepare you for 10mm Auto the way Col. Cooper intended it to be.

Congrats on the 20 though, you will love it, consider reloading to really take advantage

Thanks. I do have a basic reloading set up, well its not set up yet, still looking for a place to mount it. I should only need dies and a shell holder for it. I only have 338-378 dies atm.

Sweet, your most the way there. If you need any help with it let me know, I have a few 10mm under my belt.

Just about. I am hoping that it will be in town late next week or early the week after. Id love to find some full power rounds to shoot but all I can find are about a buck a shot or more. Also, should I bother looking for a after market barrel? I noticed more that get a Glock 20 end up buying one.

IDK, I like the stock barrels, poly rifling a little faster..... if I were to cast .400 bullets I would go aftermarket. Word is jacketed for the Glock poly riffled barrel, if you want to shoot bare lead, spring for a land and grooved riffled barrel.
There is only like 40 to 60 fps loss from a 29 to a 20 length barrel so negligible to me, if I hunted with a 20 I probably would get a 6" and shoot hard cast. But as it stands my 29 is a do all defensive gun so if I'm in town it has 180gr Gold Dots and if I'm in the woods its 200gr XTP.....both driven as fast as the load data allows.

Any input on the best defensive 10mm rounds for black bear? I've read that the buffalo bore 220 grain hard cast are the most powerful (1140 fps tested from a G20 4.6" barrel), but is lead very effective for deep penetration? I've also read about 200 grain Corbon Hunter RNPN 200 grain, and it gives 1125 fps @ 562 ftlbs from a 4.6" barrel. It's seems that I'd want to have 220 vs 200. I bought my G20 for defense against aggravated four legged assailants, but still trying to figure out what's best. I loaded up some pretty spicy XTP 180 grain JHP's with a buddy and the load data puts them at 1,200 fps, but I haven't chrono'd them yet. I have shot them though, and they are very hot. I have these for people defensive rounds. I'm thinking that I should just buy some defensive animal rounds rather than loading them, especially since I'm having a hard time tracking down supplies! Thanks in advance for the input.

I watched a few vids on the LW barrels and most claimed great results even with the same length barrels. Then the longer barrels significantly increased the FPS. (I'd have to search for these,now, as you would)
I bought the 6.6" threaded for hunting and so I could shoot anything through it,even if I decided to cast some.
The 5.1" "tactical and the slide was just to do it. The tolerances are much tighter in the chamber than the stock barrel. (just do the shake test).

BTW the barrels are probably out about a month or 4 so don't get real excited about getting one. I think I waited at least 4 months to get both barrels and slides from LW last year.

And if you buy 10mm factory,always make sure it's in good brass. Just wasting money if you can't reload it or use the brass for trade.
I was just at a show and there wasn't any 10mm brass or ammo. Plenty of 40/10 bullets,which is the good part of the commonality.

FWIW, I was shooting some 180gr XTP from Underwood yesterday. I didn't chrono, but it definitely had some giddy-up to it. Advertised at 1300 fps and 676 ft lbs. Brass also came out of the gun fine - no smiley faces, no dings. (stock barrel). I think they are using Starline brass.

They make a wide range of stuff from 135gr JHP to 220gr Hard Cast.

I been looking for ammo, it seem underwood is out as is freedom munitions. I did pick up some PP from Cabelas at 25 a box. It will b something to shoot till I get the reloading bench set up.

Any input on the best defensive 10mm rounds for black bear? I've read that the buffalo bore 220 grain hard cast are the most powerful (1140 fps tested from a G20 4.6" barrel), but is lead very effective for deep penetration?.

Yes, hard cast is going to be the best balance of penetration and expansion and weight retention. When it comes to a charging bear you need penetration more than expansion to reach the vitals or CNS. .....think fast moving quartering shots.

The tolerances are much tighter in the chamber than the stock barrel. (just do the shake test).
This is good and bad. The stock barrel will feed and extract under more adverse conditions, and will be much more forgiving on reloading oal and projectile differences.....the trade off is accuracy. But it's a service pistol so ...there are very few service pistols that poses superb accuracy and a Glock is not one. I like the fact that the stock barrel will run a muddy cartridge.

BTW the barrels are probably out about a month or 4 so don't get real excited about getting one. I think I waited at least 4 months to get both barrels and slides from LW last year.
ebay has them regularly, three LW slides and one ext barrel now and about eight 6 inch factory barrels

I was just at a show and there wasn't any 10mm brass

Midway and Dillon get it in on a regular basis......19 bucks per 100 Starline

I been looking for ammo, it seem underwood is out as is freedom munitions. I did pick up some PP from Cabelas at 25 a box. It will b something to shoot till I get the reloading bench set up.

you going to be at the capital Friday ?

that's alright , wasn't looking to harp about the capital rally, we are coming up from the Rogue Valley, I was going to pass you a mag full of defensive rounds.....didn't mean to scare ya

I doubt I will be able to make it friday. I was thinking of picking up a box of Buffalo Bore as I have heard its one of the better, full charge 10mm rounds there is as doubletap is seeming to be losing some of its quality in the last year or so.

It looks like its getting shipped on Wednesday so hopefully I will have it in hand next week.

I doubt I will be able to make it friday. I was thinking of picking up a box of Buffalo Bore as I have heard its one of the better, full charge 10mm rounds there is as doubletap is seeming to be losing some of its quality in the last year or so.

It looks like its getting shipped on Wednesday so hopefully I will have it in hand next week.

Did you order it directly from Buffalo Bore's website?

No, I didin't order any Buffalo Bore. I ordered some PP from Cabelas. should be here Friday. I would like to get a box or 2 of BB though to see what a full power round is like.

Any input on the best defensive 10mm rounds for black bear?
I load my own 180gr hardcast loads. 1400FPS 780ft/lbs from a LW 5.15" bbl and 22lb recoil spring. They work in the stock barrel too but you can see it lead up after a few rounds.

LW chambers are very tight, I've had to work with mine and open it up a bit to get it to function with lead bullets (.001" bigger than jacketed) and I'm not the only person who has.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top