JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Nothing new here, but still wanted to share a fun project with some pointers (no pun intended). Originally I was going to mount a fastfire 3, but came across this vortex viper reflex sight. It's a really nice unit, and it's square, so the milling was going to be a bit simpler.

I found a slide without a rear sight dovetail. I didn't want the reflex sight all the way to the rear of the slide (I thought it looked better a little forward). Also I just didn't want the clutter of the iron sights at all. I milled in 0.1000 inches and tapped in the screw holes. There is zero wiggle room, so I didn't feel the need to mill in the locating studs into the mount. The slide holds the sight in place, and the screws hold it down. A few hundred rounds and it's staying put just fine with a bit of blue loctite on the screws.

At first I found the dot to take me longer to locate than I liked, so I added the front sight. It's a .245 height fiber optic front sight. It works great in this project. It made it much easier and quicker to locate the dot and things were pretty good - but next I thought that the rear of the reflex base could and should act as a "rear" sight if the optic were to fail. I cut into the rear of the reflex with a 1/16" end mill and painted in the cut for a killer looking and working backup sight, while still keeping a simple and slick install.

I opted for the stainless slide in the first place so if there were any burrs or marks made during the milling then I could bead blast it to a nice cosmetic finish. Turned out awesome. Pistols are really fun and fast to shoot with a reflex sight. In the first pic, the dot sight is on and you can see the super low co witness. Since the co witness is nutz bottom, the dot floats nicely in the center of the glass for an unobstructed view while shooting primarly with the dot sight.

Enjoy.

FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_1695.JPG FullSizeRender (1).jpg FullSizeRender (2).jpg

Last Edited:
I got it on ebay with the barrel. No mention of name brand. I asked the seller and they never answered. Its a g19 not g23. It looks like lonewolf but I can't find the exact one on their site. I think the mfr is dassan. Its very accurate and excellent quality.

Last Edited:
Nice looking outfit!
I'm waiting for my frame, but in the meantime I have a Gen 3 slide that I want to mount a sight on. I plan to have it milled to the MOS spec and have the adapter plates from Glock $20. I need to find out the depth of the cut so a blank plate can be used again if ever needed. I also want the option of using different sights. FWIW, my friend the tool and die maker has 3 glocks with Deltapoints and he installed them directly to the frame like you did, but with studs. If anyone reading this can give me the depth of the MOS plate, I'd appreciate it. Thanks, Ken

Interesting idea. Someone needs to find specs or measure. But it looks like top of the mos plate is a few thou below the rear sight dovetail cut. I did a test cut for burris fastfire 3 in a scrap aluminum chunk - but decided vortex on this one. I think the fastfire 3 cut would also fit the vortex (I'd have to check to be sure). Their studs and screws positions are the same but fastfire has radius'd ends. If I were to switch from fastfire to vortex I'd put some studs in for the vortex since the cut shape is different and it would lose the locked in fit. No dis intended but I looked at mos first and though it wasn't as elegant as a 'race cut' milled directly. But for sight change versatility that may be the only way to go.

IMG_1783.JPG IMG_1782.JPG IMG_1781.JPG
IMG_1726.JPG IMG_1728.JPG

Interesting idea. Someone needs to find specs or measure. But it looks like top of the mos plate is a few thou below the rear sight dovetail cut. I did a test cut for burris fastfire 3 in a scrap aluminum chunk - but decided vortex on this one. I think the fastfire 3 cut would also fit the vortex (I'd have to check to be sure). Their studs and screws positions are the same but fastfire has radius'd ends. If I were to switch from fastfire to vortex I'd put some studs in for the vortex since the cut shape is different and it would lose the locked in fit. No dis intended but I looked at mos first and though it wasn't as elegant as a 'race cut' milled directly. But for sight change versatility that may be the only way to go.

View attachment 362368 View attachment 362367 View attachment 362366
View attachment 362369 View attachment 362370

The Gen 4 rear DT was moved back to facilitate the MOS cut so it looks like the MOS plate won't fit the Gen 3 without losing the DT. Thanks!

I just picked up my G19 slide. I told Tim to do it as if it was his own. He is embarrassed that he accidently touched tie centering drill to the slide, see the dinky indent. He made the pins and pressed them in. I did tell him not to bother making the ends concave. The fit is tight and perfect just like I knew it would be. Now what
color?
Glock19-1.JPG Glock19.JPG

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews