JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Honest question here--how do the two compare in terms of corrosion resistance? I picked a Glock 26 for concealed carry in part because I knew I would never have any issues with rust. I am about to add a Glock 19 to my collection but if I could save $200 on the S&W I might consider it as an alternative. Hmmm.....

My SD40VE showed no signs of any kind of corrosion. That said, I do take care of my guns. I clean and lube them regularly and I keep them stored in a relatively dry place. So far, in over 25 years of gun ownership, I've never had a gun rust on me. Even my old SKS and Mosin.

Honest question here--how do the two compare in terms of corrosion resistance? I picked a Glock 26 for concealed carry in part because I knew I would never have any issues with rust. I am about to add a Glock 19 to my collection but if I could save $200 on the S&W I might consider it as an alternative. Hmmm.....

I have yet to ever see this problem.

You think 150rds is a "few" mags? Most people feel 200rds is the minimum for established reliability for carry. How's the koolaid?. :)

Usually recommend 500 rounds. 450 of ball ammo to work out the kinks and 50 (or 40 if you are buying in 20 round boxes) of your defensive choice to make sure it will reliably feed the hollowpoint shape you've chosen. I haven't always followed this, especially in times of ammo supply issues, but its a good idea never the less. If I remember correctly, when one of the local PD's around Denver switched to Kimber 1911's, they required the officers to shoot 1000 rounds out of the gun prior to duty carry. Part of this was the need to break the gun in and determine any issues, but it was also to grow accustom to the manual of arms. If you are going from a Glock 23 to a Glock 19, it's probably not an issue. But how about a S&W 642 to a Glock 19? How about a Glock 19 to a 1911? All have different control locations, trigger pulls, sighting systems, etc. The drill for a stoppage or malfunction can differ. All these are excellent reasons to put significant time into any new gun you plan on carrying. And I would also consider 200 rounds "a few" magazines worth. In my S&W M&P9, that's only 11 magazines plus a short loaded mag. Its a good start, but not where I'd stop, given the choice. Again, just my $.02 worth. Feel free to send me my $.02 if you want to take issue with me... :)

My wifey picked up one of the SD9VE's a while back. It has a lot of features I prefer over my Glock 19. The mag release location, shape and size, the size and ease of use of the slide lock lever, the grip feel - the fact it uses metal vs polymer mags. The SD feels a little lighter than the Glock as well, comparing loaded gun to loaded gun. The stock trigger isn't great, but it's a great improvement over the Sigma. It's also a great improvement over the 2nd gen SW9/40VE (the most direct predecessor to this gun) guns.

The only two hitches in the giddyup so far - the slippery grip. Wife won't let me stipple her gun (yet) - and of the 4 16-round mags we've got for this gun only ONE of them allows to be loaded to 16 rounds. The other 3 mags won't take but 15. I've pulled the mags apart and examined springs and followers and tubes - and for the life of me I can't notice a difference - I'm thinking that 3 of the springs are just stronger than the other one. It's not a huge deal, but it's weird.

The polymer feel & finish is superior on the M&P and GLocks over the SD9 - but that's cosmetic. If I owned the gun, I"d be stippling the grip to make it less slippery. That's the only thing I'd change about it as a carry gun. The Smith is a natural pointer for me, the sights from the factory are usable, and all the controls are easy to operate. It's a good GLock 19 copy, superior to the Glock in a few ways, while Glock beats the Smith in a few ways. Still awaiting an M&P9 the same size as the SD9 / Glock 19...

I have a question, has anyone tried home stippling a "slippery" S&W polymer grip?

I felt that my G21sf Gen3's grip was too slippery, so put on a Hogue Handall overgrip, using a couple of squares of 3M double-sided foam tape (the kind for outdoor use) and it has not moved much since.

Probably there is a Hogue that will fit the SD9VE, too. How can you go wrong for eight bucks? And it comes off if you don't like it (as in "undo"). Not as drastic as do-it-ones-self stippling.

My wifey picked up one of the SD9VE's a while back. It has a lot of features I prefer over my Glock 19. The mag release location, shape and size, the size and ease of use of the slide lock lever, the grip feel - the fact it uses metal vs polymer mags. The SD feels a little lighter than the Glock as well, comparing loaded gun to loaded gun. The stock trigger isn't great, but it's a great improvement over the Sigma. It's also a great improvement over the 2nd gen SW9/40VE (the most direct predecessor to this gun) guns.

The only two hitches in the giddyup so far - the slippery grip. Wife won't let me stipple her gun (yet) - and of the 4 16-round mags we've got for this gun only ONE of them allows to be loaded to 16 rounds. The other 3 mags won't take but 15. I've pulled the mags apart and examined springs and followers and tubes - and for the life of me I can't notice a difference - I'm thinking that 3 of the springs are just stronger than the other one. It's not a huge deal, but it's weird.

The polymer feel & finish is superior on the M&P and GLocks over the SD9 - but that's cosmetic. If I owned the gun, I"d be stippling the grip to make it less slippery. That's the only thing I'd change about it as a carry gun. The Smith is a natural pointer for me, the sights from the factory are usable, and all the controls are easy to operate. It's a good GLock 19 copy, superior to the Glock in a few ways, while Glock beats the Smith in a few ways. Still awaiting an M&P9 the same size as the SD9 / Glock 19...

Not sure the differences are quite that much. The slash lines (Height, Width, Length, and Dry Weight) are as follows. [SD9VE (height not found)/1.29"/7.2"/22.7oz] [Glock 19 Gen 4 4.99"/1.18"/7.28"/23.65oz] [S&W M&P9 5.5"/1.2"/7.63"/24.0oz]. Biggest difference is about .5" on the height. Makes a small difference when carrying concealed, as grip length can cause printing. About .35'' in length isn't really going to affect CCW. When I have the guns side by side in the shop, the M&P9 is a lot close to the G19 than the G17.

And not to be argumentative, but in a CCW the polymer finish is not about aesthetics. Its as big a performance issue as sights. If the gun slips around in the hand because the polymer isn't textured enough, it can affect accuracy as much as sights or size. Aesthetically, all three guns look pretty well alike to me. Polymer and steel blocks. Very little character, but great tools, all three.

I was considering buying an SD9VE that was for sale here on the forum, but I ponied up the extra $200 and I just walked out of Rich's Gun Shop in Donald with a Glock 19 gen3 instead. It was new in the box, with a lifetime warranty thru Rich's, and the magazines will work in my G26. It also has the same sights and same trigger as my G26. Plus it will always have more resale value than the SD9VE so for me at least the additional cost is worth it.

glock = beige camry
Yep.

Its plain, its ordinary, and if you change the oil and do basic maintenance on it, it will reliably serve its purpose for many years with no excitement and no issues.

I also own a stainless S&W M66-3 .357 magnum. If my Glock is a beige Camry, my M66 would be a '67 Camaro with a 4 speed and a built 350 painted candy apple red. Lotsa fun, lotsa sex appeal, and way better looking than the Camry...but when its time to go to the store for milk or take my grandparents to the airport it will stay in the garage while the Camry gets the job done.

Not sure the differences are quite that much. The slash lines (Height, Width, Length, and Dry Weight) are as follows. [SD9VE (height not found)/1.29"/7.2"/22.7oz] [Glock 19 Gen 4 4.99"/1.18"/7.28"/23.65oz] [S&W M&P9 5.5"/1.2"/7.63"/24.0oz]. Biggest difference is about .5" on the height. Makes a small difference when carrying concealed, as grip length can cause printing. About .35'' in length isn't really going to affect CCW. When I have the guns side by side in the shop, the M&P9 is a lot close to the G19 than the G17.

And not to be argumentative, but in a CCW the polymer finish is not about aesthetics. Its as big a performance issue as sights. If the gun slips around in the hand because the polymer isn't textured enough, it can affect accuracy as much as sights or size. Aesthetically, all three guns look pretty well alike to me. Polymer and steel blocks. Very little character, but great tools, all three.

My bubblegum with the m&p compact is that it doesn't fill a solid role. Its grip is goofy - I do not like guns that use mag extensions as part of the grip as primary carry guns. I want an M&P that has a one-piece grip that holds ~15 rounds, has a3.9 or 4 inch barrel, and has thesame G19 characteristics. The M&P compact, if using flush fit baseplates is a lot closer to the G26 in size, but they elected to cheese out and use hollow mag extensions (could've atleast made this +2 baseplates and had 14 round mags) for yourpinky. The backstrap is likewise too short for my preference.

Also- that .35" might notseem like much - but my G19 carries better for me and my method of carry than my M&P Compact does. That little bit more muzzle levers the butt into my abdomen more and keeps the butt from pushing away thanks to my belly. I like how the compact shoots - but it's a gun that falls between the subcompact and compact guns and is just a little wonky. Wonkey enough not to be my primary carry gun. My wife likes it though, and it fits her better as a carry gun. She likes the Compact more than the Shield.

A gun with a bit longer slide and a slighly shorter grip than the full (~1/2 inch") that was one piece would be about perfect.

And yes, theSD9 does suffer from being too slippery out of the box, thus stippling or skateboard tape if you'regonna CC this gun. The matte finish is also more pleasing to the eye. It's like ruger's first polymer framed guns - they were super shiney and slippery. Too slippery.

My bubblegum with the m&p compact is that it doesn't fill a solid role. Its grip is goofy - I do not like guns that use mag extensions as part of the grip as primary carry guns. I want an M&P that has a one-piece grip that holds ~15 rounds, has a3.9 or 4 inch barrel, and has thesame G19 characteristics. The M&P compact, if using flush fit baseplates is a lot closer to the G26 in size, but they elected to cheese out and use hollow mag extensions (could've atleast made this +2 baseplates and had 14 round mags) for yourpinky. The backstrap is likewise too short for my preference.

Also- that .35" might notseem like much - but my G19 carries better for me and my method of carry than my M&P Compact does. That little bit more muzzle levers the butt into my abdomen more and keeps the butt from pushing away thanks to my belly. I like how the compact shoots - but it's a gun that falls between the subcompact and compact guns and is just a little wonky. Wonkey enough not to be my primary carry gun. My wife likes it though, and it fits her better as a carry gun. She likes the Compact more than the Shield.

A gun with a bit longer slide and a slighly shorter grip than the full (~1/2 inch") that was one piece would be about perfect.

And yes, theSD9 does suffer from being too slippery out of the box, thus stippling or skateboard tape if you'regonna CC this gun. The matte finish is also more pleasing to the eye. It's like ruger's first polymer framed guns - they were super shiney and slippery. Too slippery.

Those numbers were for a standard M&P9, not the compact model. I understand wanting to lose 1/2" from the grip, but probably will never happen. I think the current standard model is as close to the G19 size as they will get. Works for some, not for others.

Just compare the sights, I've been shooting with two different guys who had there plastic glock sights fall off while shooting. Then the years of service, S&W 1853, Glock 1980's. Don't get me wrong I've had several glocks but now have and HK. Gun people are similar to car people. I used to be a Chevy guy. Last year bought my first Toyota pick-up, I won't ever own anything else now.

OK SD9VE owners;

I had someone ask a question on these, they wanted to know if the SD9VE is fully cocked like a XD or is it only partially cocked like a glock??

Going off memory from my SD40VE, it was partially cocked like the Glock. I seem to recall the trigger pull was not an immediate release, but did pull the striker back further from the partially cocked position to the fully cocked position before releasing it for the shot. But that's just my memory of it, I'll happily receive correction if I'm wrong :)

I just picked up a sd9ve the other day, so far it has been a good gun, I have not had a lot of experience with Glock's but I think it depends on the shooter. I think there both great guns!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top