JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Trying to figure out all the bashing on the SD9VE...mainly from the Glock fanboys...but here's my observations after today..

1) 150rds (last 30 were rapid mag dumps to see what would happen...) through the Glock 19 - NO FTF or FTE. I have tried to love Glocks but I just don't. The grip angle continues to be the main point of suck on these pistols but I can shoot it accurately for the most part.

2) 150rds (last 30 were rapid mag dumps to see what would happen...) though a new SD9VE...NO FTF or FTF. I shot better with this pistol because it points more naturally than the Glock, It is simply more comfortable to me. I was also slightly more accurate but only marginally so.

3) The SD9VE was $319 and the G19 Gen 3 was $500. Both have 2 mags. The triggers are almost identicle and both are simply "OK". If you think a Glock trigger is perfect you have never shot a pistol with a truly excellent trigger. Simple fact. I ordered the Apex Trigger and Spring set for the SD9VE so I am into the pistol about $400 total. Add in 3 more mags for $100 and I have pistol that looks better (for the most part - I like the matte finish on the Glock polymer much better) , has a better trigger, is more comfortable, and has more mags.

4) Why the hate?

5) I have a feeling most detractors have never shot the SD9VE, owned one, or even held one...but they read a lot on the interwebs and regurgitate it as the Gospel.

6) I like the SD9VE a lot. Pissing off the Glock Kool-Aid Brigade is an extra bonus! :D

glock = beige camry

SD9VE = Hyundai Accent

Seriously though, most of the SD9VE hate comes from 2 places:

1. It's immediate predecessor was the Sigma, which has a reputation for one of the worst production triggers ever.

2. The SD9VE is an almost direct copy (fuctionally) of a Glock. The Sigma was so much of a copy that S&W got sued for the Sigma. They lost, so they changed a few things, most notably the trigger, and started producing the SD9VE.

It's not a bad pistol, in fact it's reputation is growing and getting better. But it's a full size, and these days folks want compact versions to go along with their full size handguns and that's something the SD line just doesn't offer.

I find the trigger pull argument funny when it comes to these (SD) and both the original sigma (non railed)and the second version (railed). It is a defense weapon not a target pistol, If used for its intended purpose you will never notice the trigger pull.

These fit my hand better than a Glock and as a bonus they are cheaper. I bought one when they first came out and had the poor machining on the feed ramp but a fast polish took care of the feeding issue I had with Gold dots and never had any other issues.

SD9VE = Hyundai Accent

Seriously though, most of the SD9VE hate comes from 2 places:

1. It's immediate predecessor was the Sigma, which has a reputation for one of the worst production triggers ever.

2. The SD9VE is an almost direct copy (fuctionally) of a Glock. The Sigma was so much of a copy that S&W got sued for the Sigma. They lost, so they changed a few things, most notably the trigger, and started producing the SD9VE.

It's not a bad pistol, in fact it's reputation is growing and getting better. But it's a full size, and these days folks want compact versions to go along with their full size handguns and that's something the SD line just doesn't offer.

The SD9VE is no more a full size pistol than the GLock 19. The Glock 19 is recognized as the compact version of the G17...some comparisons..

Glock 19:

Length - 7.36
Height - 4.99
Width - 1.18

Sd9VE:

Length - 7.2
Height - 5.1
Width - 1.29

Pretty damn close....:p

I owned an SD40VE for a while. Nice pistol, shot great. My biggest issue was the grip was a bit slippery for me. If I had any sweat on my hands at all on a hot day, I could feel the gun twist in my hand. Of course that can be solved with some grip tape or something to that effect. But I did fine the gun decent looking, comfortable to hold, reliable (never had a single failure) and it was plenty accurate. Good pistols in my opinion, especially for the price.

Another aspect:

It's an inexpensive gun. There is a certain segment of the gun world that thinks cheap guns must be crappy guns. Like people who think Sig SP2022's are crap because they're $300 less than a P226 or P229.

I try to offer the SD9VE as an affordable option for first-time purchasers who come into the shop. Many of them don't trust it to be a good gun because it's a few hundred less than a Glock, M&P or FN.

Another aspect:

It's an inexpensive gun. There is a certain segment of the gun world that thinks cheap guns must be crappy guns. Like people who think Sig SP2022's are crap because they're $300 less than a P226 or P229.

I try to offer the SD9VE as an affordable option for first-time purchasers who come into the shop. Many of them don't trust it to be a good gun because it's a few hundred less than a Glock, M&P or FN.

That is because people have been burned by the" just as good as".

So when something is several hundred less it gives people a pause because there must be a reason, and most of the time they are right.

But a 150 round test is nothing, take that up to 2-3K each and see which chokes.

Don't know why people judge a gun on a few mags worth of ammo. It take a lot more then that to come to even a basic conclusion .

I campaigned an SD - not the SDVE - in IDPA.
SD for Self Defense would seem to fit in that sport. The longer trigger and the shorter sight radius reduces this firearms effectiveness to win a competition. Surely if Jerry ran this gun and I had the best, smoothest, crispest gun on the market, he would still finish before me so long he could smoke a hog. I believe you would do better against a Shield or Glock 26. The Top 2 firearms in Stock division are the Glock 35 and the Smith M&P Pro - both have the extra gaming length barrels and are used by gamers.

I too felt the gun pointed naturally and was an excellent fit for my hand.

You can do some trigger work on it. But if you are going to use for self defense or carry, I being an Internet Legal Expert [1], advise against that. Other than smoothing out any roughness.

For an EDC - sure.
One argument in favor of guns like this is that if you have to give up the pistol for any reason, you get another one and they are exactly the same.
The length of pull will help some people prevent negligent discharges - as compared to say an SA trigger. This is also why some prefer the DA/SA over striker fired.

What I don't like is that like the frackin' Glocks, you have those 2 little nubbly thingies you have to pull down to field strip.

[1] I am also an internet gun expert. And both are worth what you paid for them.
[2] My car is Grandpa Gold not beige!

But a 150 round test is nothing, take that up to 2-3K each and see which chokes.

Don't know why people judge a gun on a few mags worth of ammo. It take a lot more then that to come to even a basic conclusion .
At least 4,000 with just replacing the recoil spring as suggested and still tickin. 004.JPG

it will be a while for the SD to get that many. 006.JPG

Last Edited:
Glocks and lower end S&W's are tools not gun makers art. I think that it's important that reliable budget pistols are available. Every gun sold is a potential vote against the anti's, plus a, hopefully, large percentage of folks that buy one will take it to a range and shoot it. At a range they will be exposed to higher end guns and people like us! I am always ready to help a new pistolero. "Here try mine! You know there are a couple of blogs can teach you a lot!"
Poor people like single parents, the elderly etc need the low price option too.
Wow, that got away from me!
I definatly like that the SD9VE is so low price. When I handled a couple in the shop I especially liked the feel and pointability (tiny little hands)! Couldn't abide the trigger though. I am planning to get a reliable 9mm for my granddaughter when she returns from her overseas tour in the Navy, After this thread and google of more info I'm going to look at the SD9VE with that Apex trigger. After all I'm elderly and on a budget!

SD9VE as well as the 40 version are good guns. I have no issue recommending them to my budget minded customers, of which, in this economy, many are. But it is the damn slipperiest feeling gun on my shelf. And for some of my customers, adding skateboard tape isn't much fun and adding a sleeve makes it too thick. Its a good option, but it doesn't hold well in wet hands. My $.02 worth. If you want to take issue with it, send me my $.02 first... ;)

You think 150rds is a "few" mags? Most people feel 200rds is the minimum for established reliability for carry. How's the koolaid?. :)

The best pistol is one YOU shoot well. People bash Glocks, Rugers, S&W, and most anything on the Internet.

If you shoot a Glock well, then it is a good choice. If you shoot a S&W, choose that gun.

Don't work about the armchair or gun counter "experts" shoot what you shoot well.

Honest question here--how do the two compare in terms of corrosion resistance? I picked a Glock 26 for concealed carry in part because I knew I would never have any issues with rust. I am about to add a Glock 19 to my collection but if I could save $200 on the S&W I might consider it as an alternative. Hmmm.....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top