JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I got a Glock 19 gen 3. I've had the thing for a few years now and have pretty much carried most of those days. So it sees a lot of use and a lot of carry. I never really kept count but I would say 3k+ rounds have been through it. I've never done more then just field stripping it and cleaning it. I just recently watch a video about completely disassembling it and was wondering if that's really necessary. It does get carried in a lot of dusty and gritty environments and not uncommon for it to get quite dirty. Also just wondering is there a round count or something when I should look at changing parts. Don't want to find out a part is failing when I really need it. Not to interested in aftermarket parts for this one. Just keeping it simple for carrying. Thanks guys

It isnt hard and worth doing at least once a year( full strip). You'd be surprised at what gets where....
Grab a "frame completion" kit from one of the online vendors, it will give you all the spares you may need.
Myself, I field strip and wipe down once a month, detail strip once a year.
Haven't had any issues in the 10 years Ive been carrying my G19 with this routine.
As for changing parts....I havent yet, but I have less than 10k through it...probably due for a recoil spring change though....
Springs are cheap, prolly wouldnt hurt to change them every 5k or so.

Whaaat? Load, shoot repeat. ;) I find they require little maintenance. I would say field strip and lube sparingly once a year and detail strip once every 5-7years. I don't think I would worry about springs until you are N of 10,000 rounds. Works for me anyways.

Are you noticing light primer strikes? Is the recoil getting "weird"? Or are you having failures to eject?
Things to look for to indicate a change of parts.
Your gun should be fine to field strip most of the time, but I'd probably take it down even further if it's been carried for 3 years. If you're worried about taking it down further you could pay somebody at a gunshop. However, I consider that part of the fun in having a gun.

Are you noticing light primer strikes? Is the recoil getting "weird"? Or are you having failures to eject?
Things to look for to indicate a change of parts.
Your gun should be fine to field strip most of the time, but I'd probably take it down even further if it's been carried for 3 years. If you're worried about taking it down further you could pay somebody at a gunshop. However, I consider that part of the fun in having a gun.

inhabent has any problems with it at all. Thing runs through about anything. Last year when I was running a tractor a lot and in and out of it in the field it would get so dirty and hunker up from the dust. I usually would just dump and mag and most of that would just blow out. I watched some full disassembly videos and it doesn't seem to hard.It's probably about time to do that.

I have over 1400 rounds through my G34 without so much as a field strip. Since it's your EDC you may want to fully break it down. I should do that to mine one of these days.....

Agreed, I normally don't clean until I hit at least 500 rounds, EDC or not. Never had an issue of anykind...ever with my Glocks. They like being treated poorly. :s0140:

I do take apart the firing pin and extractor on occasion to clean out the channels and such. Not every time though.

Good info, probably wise to change recoil spring at 5k if indeed it is a edc piece. On the other hand I have a couple Glocks with well North of 10k rounds through them and they still run like glockwork with all original parts .Has anyone broke a recoil spring or had a malf due to this spring wearing out?

Last Edited:
Good info, probably wise to change recoil spring at 5k if indeed it is a edc piece. On the other hand I have a couple Glocks with well North of 10k rounds through them and they still run like glockwork with all original parts .Has anyone ;) broke a recoil spring or had a malf due to this spring wearing out?
I've had the plastic recoil guide break on a couple.

Ive never fully striped my 27 just rem aerosol action cleaner and spray lube, after every few hundted rounds, its a glock right

edc guns collect a lot of lint and other crud. id do a complete take down. glocks dont require very much oil. i put a tiny drop on each slide rail on the frame and a drop down where the trigger bar and trigger connector meet

Man you and your broken guns lol. I've never had a guide rod break.
Lol, beats me. Seems like a weak point though. Out of the 10+ Glocks over the years, two broke. Both were very regular shooters, a gen 2 19 and a gen 3 17. That 19 probably had 20k on it before I bought it used. I put probably another 10k on it. The 17 only broke the front part of the guide rod. Where it meats the slide. I replaced both with steel guide rods. Still have the 17, but I upgraded the 19 for a gen 3 a while back.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top