JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK, I have a NIB Glock 19 gen 4 and I'm thinking of using lead bullets for reloading and I know Glock states don't use lead but, I have over 3000 lead bullets. I though about switching out to Berry's bullets but its twice as expensive and I already have the lead bullets. Anyone ever have issues with lead in Glocks? Or should I just buy a Storm lake barrel etc?

I use traditional rifled bbl's for the glocks I shoot lead through. It gives me peace of mind that I can afford. Shooting lead through a fact. glock bbl is a never ending argument.

The reason for the warning is that Glock is concerned with "leading" (a buildup of lead residue in the bore). Glock barrels have polygonal rifling. Lead can accumulate and will foul in polygonal rifling at a faster rate than it will with conventional rifling.

****The important thing is that the lead buildup must be cleaned out regularly.**** If it is not, the barrel will gradually become constricted resulting in higher than normal discharge pressures. In extreme cases, increased discharge pressures can result in a catastrophic failure.

Glock is concerned that a lot of gun owners don't properly clean their guns after each range trip. While this is normally not a problem with a shooter using jacketed rounds, it can, over time, become a problem with unjacketed rounds. Instead of getting into a discussion about the whole thing where Glock is faced with people trying to figure out how many rounds they can shoot before cleaning and what constitutes proper cleaning to get rid of the lead buildup, Glock simply tells people not to use unjacketed rounds.

308downrange, Outrider is spot on. FWIW (which I realize it isn't much) I'm both a currently certified factory GLOCK Armorer and Advanced Armorer and we've had this discussion many times in classes and have seen examples of the consequences. The bottom line is this...you shoot lead bullets (which are slightly oversized compared to jacketed bullets) they will leave lead deposits in the GLOCK polygonal barrels which WILL increase pressure.

I've seen the result of the increase pressure in other people's guns. Primers start to flatten and/or back out and eventually cases start to crack/split...eventually extraction issues manifest themselves. Fortunately we've discovered the problem long before it developed into worse situation.

The GLOCK barrels are not designed for lead which means if you do shoot lead in them it will be a bugg'r to clean and remove the lead unless you use harsh methods. Long term this is probably not your best option. If you want to shoot lead bullets then you need a traditional rifled barrel from Storm Lake, Lone Wolf et al. Often you can find them used but new barrels are not that expensive. You just need to figure out a cost/benefit analysis...is buying a new barrel allowing you to shoot lead cheaper in the long term or are you better off investing in jacketed bullets and using what you've got now. I report - you decide. Best of luck!

Thanks guys for the additional inputs on the issue. I don't mind using lead bullets because I can get them for $60/1000 vs $120/1000 of the jacketed bullets and just translates into more range time. I have been using my buddies M&P Pro and bought 3000 lead bullets to reload and now I wound up with this Glock (which I have always wanted to try a glock, since M&P Pro 5" models are a pain to get a hold of). I know there are a thousand different guns to try but I just did not ant to waste the 3000 lead bullets, but I might switch out to jacketed bullets in the long run or try and get a new threaded barrel for a suppressor anyways down the road. Thanks again, I appreciate it.

For what it's worth I shoot lead bullets a lot. Cheaper and I cast my own. For both my glocks I just bought wolf threaded barrels. r
Ready for supressors (when I save enough $) and shoots lead quite well. I did get a Otters foul out and use it regularly to get ALL the lead out of the barrels.

I exclusively shoot lead in all my pistols, including those with polygonal rifling (Kahr, Glock, H&K). If you reload your own ammo, there is no reason you should be experiencing barrel leading since you are in complete control of the load. My experience is that polygonal rifling is LESS susceptible to leading than conventional rifling, and it's a LOT easier to remove from polygonal barrels when it does occur. The variables associated with barrel leading for a given barrel are bullet hardness (harder is not always better), powder burn rate, and velocity. Each of these variables are within the control of a reloader.

Lead bullets are about 50% of the cost of jacketed or plated bullets. The only trade-off is that the bullet lube causes more smoke and barrel residue.

Thanks guys for the response, I have now got about 150-250 lead bullets down the tube and I have been able to get the lead out with a little extra elbow grease with Shooters choice Lead removal solvent and some "Chore Boy" copper my buddy told me to get at "True value" Hardware and it seams to do the trick. Im still on the fence with getting a new barrel since I am able to clean the stock one just fine. I would rather put the $$$ towards sights for it but I don't want to destroy the gun either.

Glock says to not shoot reloads, regardless of projectile. Since factory 9mm LRN's are as rare as hen's teeth, I think it's moot shenanigans. I shoot lead out of all handguns.

Two words : Lone Wolf (barrel)

BTW any one who knows more about Glocks and their polygonal rifling than a certified experienced armorer is certainly well qualified to lose their fingers or eyes

Thanks guys for the response, I have now got about 150-250 lead bullets down the tube and I have been able to get the lead out with a little extra elbow grease with Shooters choice Lead removal solvent and some "Chore Boy" copper my buddy told me to get at "True value" Hardware and it seams to do the trick. Im still on the fence with getting a new barrel since I am able to clean the stock one just fine. I would rather put the $$$ towards sights for it but I don't want to destroy the gun either.

That's the entire point.. you cannot truly discern whether you're getting all of it out of the smooth polygonal barrel.. this is the last thing I have to say in this thread because I've seen all this before and I know that 130 bucks for a standard barrel is more important to a lot of people than their safety

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top