JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all,

I recently purchased a used 2008 gen 3 Glock 19 and took it out to shoot. I noticed the gun had poor consistency ejecting ammo in the same direction. I watched a bunch of Glock 9mm shooting videos online and noticed that this was happening to some degree on almost all Glocks across all Gens (some worse than others), but wanted to know how normal this is, why it is happening, and whether I can prevent/fix it?

Also, will this affect reliability of the gun?

Here is a short video that shows a pretty good representation of the erratic patterns (I get occasional BTF and sometimes leftward ejection, over the head ejection, etc.):

I don't know if I should try to do something about it, or ignore it.

Thank you for your input!

I would suggest posting this over on glocktalk. Tons of info over there and it's a very active site.

If it were me, I would put in a fresh recoil spring assembly and maybe try some new mags in it to start with.....

Yeah, I would like to soon, but I don't have any experienced shooters to ask right now. I am fairly new to pistols being mostly a rifle guy, but the ones I have shot haven't ever given me trouble with ejection like the Glock has. It seems like a drawback if Glocks are really picky about how you hold them. :/

I own a G17 a G19 and G26

I bought both the 17 and 19 brand new last year and if i use 115 grain ammo in any of those pistols i will occasionally experience the brass ejection right back at my face, If i use hotter ammo or hollowpoints the ejection is fine, I would say try some different ammo

I own a G17 a G19 and G26

I bought both the 17 and 19 brand new last year and if i use 115 grain ammo in any of those pistols i will occasionally experience the brass ejection right back at my face, If i use hotter ammo or hollowpoints the ejection is fine, I would say try some different ammo
-
same here, and same as the comment of Post #5 .
when shooting Glock seems to extract/eject way better using higher Vel. ammo than the lower target Vel. ammo .
Using Lower Vel. loads will even sometimes dump an empty or two off top my head out of a full Mag. but little Hotter velocity loads and good factory defense loads will eject and it throws brass just fine .
(weak velocity) Ammo Vel./load is the culprit and I dont think it is mechanical defect your looking for.

Yeah I would say it's the 115 g ammo that's causing the problems, I still shoot 115 g ammo through my 9mm Glocks but I just learned to expect the occasional spent casing to the face, make sure to wear safety glasses and leave your shirt untucked!
This is assuming you are using 115 g ammo when you are having the problems. But it certainly wouldn't hurt to check the extractor for wear anyway.

Had a G17 Gen 3 from 2010 that did the same thing. Sent it back to Glock and they put the newest ejector that was being used in the Gen 4 models in it. It did improve some but not fully. I then went with the old style Non Loaded Chamber Indicator extractor and spring loaded bearing and between the two items it ejects to the right more consistently.(Note: When changing extractors, LCI or non LCI, there are different spring loaded bearings for each one. Make sure you know what you are doing or find a Glock Armorer.) Even with the inconsistent ejection it never failed to perform.
May our lives glorify God,
Michael

Thanks all for the input. I will try the hotter loads, although to be honest, when I bought the gun I never expected it, of all things to be picky with ammo and have its basic performance depend on it. Sure, I expect some ammo to be more accurate, more reliable out of my guns, but consistent extraction would be a big priority of mine if I were a gun maker, especially one as well-known as Glock. I wouldn't have brought this issue up either if I, as a shooter unused to Glocks, wasn't distracted by it. I will try to focus on it less now that I know it is kinda "normal" apparently, but it is still peculiar to me and feels a bit off. I might try to contact Glock to see what they say about it as a whole.

This is pretty common.

My 19s spit ammo casings where ever they want. I'm used to it.

It does piss me off when I get one in the forehead still.

My 26 is pretty good at getting them over to the right. Same for the 17 and my dads 34. I think it has something to do with the 19s. Maybe the slide weight or recoil force or something magical about the number 19. They just like to throw casings where they want.

At least they are ejecting though.

Don't worry about it and just shoot the hell out of it. The Glock 17, that I bought new in 1989 and carried on duty for a few years and it has always done this. I still have this gun and it runs just fine.

Based off of that video alone, I'm with the two other that say you should have someone else shoot the pistol.

The shooter in the video appeared to be inconsistent with the firmness in the grip and wrists, which I would suspect is the main cause of the ejection problems you've been experiencing.

Hotter the ammo, the more "positive" the ejection will be, but I'd get a second shooter in there before I spent any money replacing parts.

Happy shooting!

My G21sf tends to eject to the left or over my head. It goes bang every time it is supposed to.
My objective is not to play basketball with the empty brass, (;)) it's to put holes where I want them and to work 100% without any failures or fal-de-ral when I need it to. It does both of these jobs just fine.

Bottom line, if it shoots 100% of the time, it's working as intended.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top