JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Have you seen a gun that has been through a fire? Not only does the finish get destroyed the heat treating is destroyed and typically the scale is so bad on the exposed metal and they get warped so bad it might as well be a wall hanger afterwards. Ive never see a gun that went through a fire that I would feel confident rebuilding and shooting afterwards unless a LOT of money ( More than a Glock costs. ) was spent putting it right afterwards.

Have you seen a gun that has been through a fire? Not only does the finish get destroyed the heat treating is destroyed and typically the scale is so bad on the exposed metal and they get warped so bad it might as well be a wall hanger afterwards. Ive never see a gun that went through a fire that I would feel confident rebuilding and shooting afterwards unless a LOT of money ( More than a Glock costs. ) was spent putting it right afterwards.

I agree. A fire will kill the springs. Soften the slide. And pretty much kill any gun for more than a wall hanger.

Most guns will never see a fire.
But they will see years of salty sweat, environmental exposure and just general wear and tear that slowly takes it's toll.

The G19 there is no other! Then you carry the G17 mags as backup.

zgl6.JPG

I would say a Glock 19. Good for carry and 15+1 capacity. The 17 is great too, but if I had to choose just one, I would choose the 19.

What about house or vehicle fires with these polymer frame guns? Will they turn in to a nice blob or warp? That's one reason I like my 1911. The walnut grips may burn off but they are easily replaced. I own several polymer frame guns, BTW.
Yer fired. giggity. wtf.
Probably shoot for an 18.. because 18 in right btwixt yawn

I guess it would depend on the fire. Springs and peripherals are easily and cheaply replaced. If you had to make a steel gun fire again, you could. That's all I'm saying. Until then, I'll keep punishing my stuff with hip sweat and an occasional ball peen hammer.

"Shooting on the weekend" Do you mean plinking at the range, or do you mean competition? If you mean plinking, then the 19 is one of the best all-time guns ever. If you mean competition, the 19 is good for IDPA, but the 17 is exceptionally popular for USPSA because reloading is so much easier with a full-length grip.

For me, I never carry my 17/22, but I carry a 19 all the time. But my 17 and 22 are my favorite pistols with great balance.

I carry a 17 on duty (plain clothes LE currently), and usually a 19 or 43 off duty. I used to carry the 19 on duty but I found I do shoot the 17 a little better and it's a little more comfortable in the hand.

If your primary concern is daily concealed carry then I would vote 19. ...
OR, better yet, a 43 for carry and a 17 for range duty! ;)

Or 23, then 22, then 27. A couple of mine are the 40 version, converted to 9.

40-9 barrel
9mm extractor bits
9mm trigger housing with ejector
9mm magazines

And actually, I've fired 9mm out of 40 mags and 40 out of 9mm mags. But with all the stuff I've listed above switched out on my 22 and 27, I've never had even a bobble, much less a failure.

You will probably want to pick the gun up at a store outside Seattle to avoid the lovely new tax. Low Price Guns in Bellevue and Lynnwood Guns in Lynnwood both have them online for $540. I don't think either of them charges shipping or transfer fees if you order online and pick up at the store. For me it's often cheaper than ordering somewhere else and shipping to an FFL. Both of them have great customer service.

I disagree about the 43. Very thin guys may need the 43 to conceal, and certainly there is a place for that pistol. But the 26 is the exact same size as the 43, just a little wider. And the 26 is able to use the same mags as the 34/17/19. I can conceal my 26 without ANY problems. Unless someone is planning on putting on a tac light, I actually think the 26 is superior to the 19 in a lot of ways.

Obviously, the real answer is 19 and 17 and 26 and 43. (and 23 and 27 and 22)

I disagree about the 43. Very thin guys may need the 43 to conceal, and certainly there is a place for that pistol. But the 26 is the exact same size as the 43, just a little wider. And the 26 is able to use the same mags as the 34/17/19. I can conceal my 26 without ANY problems. Unless someone is planning on putting on a tac light, I actually think the 26 is superior to the 19 in a lot of ways.

Obviously, the real answer is 19 and 17 and 26 and 43. (and 23 and 27 and 22)
Get the mag extensions if you go with a 26.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top