JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been shooting my P226 and XD9mm tactical for a lot of years now and have always 'over' lubed for range use. Yeah! A bit more 'stuff' to clean off when I get home, but after thousands of rounds, neither gun looks really worn.

I picked up a new Glock 17 recently and did what I would consider a minimum amount of lube for a shoot, based on what I heard was necessary for a glock, and wet out and put a few hundred rounds through it. The one thing that became apparent is that the ejected rounds really did not go very far...in fact, most of them rained down on me in abundance.

So, when I got home, I did my usual routine. I have been using TWB 25 for quite a while and went to town on all the regular spots. and sorta overdid it a little.....hey, more lube is better...right!

Anyways, got to the range this afternoon and popped off a few rounds through my XD9 Tactical, P226 and Glock 17 to chrono my handloads as it's been a while since I did a cross check.

I immediately noticed that the glock cycled 'way' easier and the spent brass was ejecting much further away. Yeah, sure, maybe a little break in too....but the brass was now about 6 feet from me instead of raining down on me.

If I was going to carry any of these, yeah! I'd most certainly do the minimum, but lads....when you love her, you lube her!

I notice the same with my AR15. I clean it, lightly lube it, wipe off any excess and put in the safe. Some time down the road I go to shoot and it has issues feeding. Pull the bolt, lube it up again with Militec and it runs perfect. Not sure if this in normal or not...probably the norm, but seems like it would be a problem in a dusty enviro running it wet.

I notice the same with my AR15. I clean it, lightly lube it, wipe off any excess and put in the safe. Some time down the road I go to shoot and it has issues feeding. Pull the bolt, lube it up again with Militec and it runs perfect. Not sure if this in normal or not...probably the norm, but seems like it would be a problem in a dusty enviro running it wet.

I think it's one of those life conundrums.....when is too much too much. I also mountain bike. There is a point where too much chain lube is just too much and it causes dirt to get attracted and then you have shifting issues. My guns are all range queens......so lots'a lube is a factor. But I suspect that if I was in a sand box, I might be re-thinking the approach.

The engineer in me just realizes that for parts to move well....they just need more grease.....how much, well that depends on the environment.

Easy a 1,2,3. One for the frame, two for the barrel, three for the slide. The manual clearly shows the 6 spots.
Which is what I did for my minimum.......my "lube the cr@p out of it" approach obviously gave me slightly different result. Something I will now be intrigued to monitor.

"Glock pistols are designed to operate properly with only small amounts of lubrication. DO NOT OVER-LUBRICATE your Glock."

I read that, and that's why I did not over do it at first. I really like the TWB 25. And while I state that I lube the cr@p out of the gun....it's not like there is white goo oozing from every crack and orifice I've applied more than glock would recommend for sure. The TWB seems to do a really great job of adhering to the running surfaces without spraying crap in your face or having it pour from the slide rails.

I'm also not shooting thousands of rounds in a sitting either. All my guns get a pretty deep clean after use and sit for a while between each session. I think if I 'was' shooting a ton at each session, I might be inclined to treat them a little more like my carry piece, which, although not being quite as dry a camels armpit....is getting close!

Is it a gen4? Brass to the face in a glock is a sure sign of insufficient slide velocity. The double recoil spring on the gen4 can take a little break-in and once it is, brass to face stops. The first gen4s in 9mm had problems because of overly stiff springs.
It is a gen 4, and I suspected a little break in period from what I had read.

The last round of the first 150 last week fell on my right bicep. First round after cleaning, off to my far right.

Definitely needs some break in as a gen 4. Also TWS is great grease...but it is grease. And with the freezing/colder weather of late, the grease's viscosity is higher. GLOCK's require very little lube in the first place and it doesn't have to be the higher viscosity of grease - especially in the winter. The only place grease is really needed is on the disconnector hook a couple times a year depending upon your volume of shooting. Keep in mind the GLOCK's were originally designed for a military application (harsh environment with potentially infrequent or poor maintenance practices) and not a prissy match gun. Lol.

Definitely needs some break in as a gen 4. Also TWS is great grease...but it is grease. And with the freezing/colder weather of late, the grease's viscosity is higher. GLOCK's require very little lube in the first place and it doesn't have to be the higher viscosity of grease - especially in the winter. The only place grease is really needed is on the disconnector hook a couple times a year depending upon your volume of shooting. Keep in mind the GLOCK's were originally designed for a military application (harsh environment with potentially infrequent or poor maintenance practices) and not a prissy match gun. Lol.

It's actually quite remarkable how well constructed they are. When I consider how much maintenance I provide my hand guns, they should last a lifetime at this rate. My father was a mechanical engineer.....he instilled in me a solid sense that you should look after your gear, and it will look after you.....I guess I take that a little too literally :)

I take good care of my guns, but I've never felt the need to over-lube them. Glocks have always been reliable for me, with a minimum of lubrication. I probably do just a bit more than what Glock suggests, but it's still minimal, and they run very well. I suppose if I were in some kind of extreme conditions I might do more, but I just don't need it here.

Here's my rule for lube.
If it's dropping off...it's too much.
If all the moving components are not shiny...it's too little.

I use Hoppes Elite line of products for cleaning and lubricating.

I think it's one of those life conundrums.....when is too much too much. I also mountain bike. There is a point where too much chain lube is just too much and it causes dirt to get attracted and then you have shifting issues. My guns are all range queens......so lots'a lube is a factor. But I suspect that if I was in a sand box, I might be re-thinking the approach.

The engineer in me just realizes that for parts to move well....they just need more grease.....how much, well that depends on the environment.
I found out how much is too much recently, with a G-17. I really made sure it was well lubed and started getting light primer strikes because the Lube was hydraulically impeding progress. Stripped and wiped down everything, then lubed per the manual. All was right with the world again.

Guns are intricate machines, and intricate machines need to be lubed properly for optimum performance. What is proper for one is not necessarily proper for another. Most machines that tolerate "over lubrication" well are not very sophisticated.

If you arent getting sprayed in the face, there isnt enough lube on your gun. Applies to both pistols and ARs, dunno about those commie AKs though.
If you over grease the inside of an AK, believe it or not it can bleed out through the back of the dust cover and into your eye. :confused:
Happened when I forgot to wipe off the grease (that turned to liquid after a few mags) on the bolt carrier and the inside rails of one if my AKs before taking it out.

If you over grease the inside of an AK, believe it or not it can bleed out through the back of the dust cover and into your eye. :confused:
Happened when I forgot to wipe off the grease (that turned to liquid after a few mags) on the bolt carrier and the inside rails of one if my AKs before taking it out.

I guess that's why you need to wear your glasses while shooting.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top